I’m being patterned by another hunter.

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

chizfo

I’m being patterned by another hunter.

Unread postby chizfo » Mon Dec 21, 2020 3:35 pm

This past summer I crossed paths with a guy on public who befriended me. Guy told me he’s been hunting the area for 25 years.

So I end up shooting a big 8 pointer weeks after meeting him. Well, the guy was at this piece of public the night of my kill. He wanted to go with on the track job, so I allowed him to go with my brother and I.
I kinda thought something was fishy by how excited he was acting to go on the track job..

We recover my buck, and he kept saying, “wow someone really did their homework”.

Well months pass, and I’m finally able to hunt for a buck again so I head back to that same area and the guy has blue tape on trees leading back to the EXACT tree I killed out of.

This past week, he’s been in the same area I’m hunting “coincidentally”.

I screwed up by being nice to him from the get go.

I’m being patterned by a guy who I believe doesn’t know how to truly hunt whitetail. He’s trying to benefit off my scouting.. and it’s irritating. He’s hunting me..

Anyone else ever had this issue with another hunter?
I need to shake him some how. Any tips appreciated..

-Charlie

Thanks in advance for any helpful advice.

Swedishbowhunter
500 Club
Location: South East Wisconsin hunts SE,SW, & Northcentral wi

Re: I’m being patterned by another hunter.

Unread postby Swedishbowhunter » Mon Dec 21, 2020 3:50 pm

I would start by taking down the ribbons, then I would move on with learning the valuable lesson of loose lips sink ships.
218er
500 Club

Unread postby 218er » Mon Dec 21, 2020 3:54 pm

Put a ton of fake rubs 50 feet from the parking lot. Sounds creepy.
Persistence is undefeated.
UncleBuck3268
500 Club
Facebook: NONE

Unread postby UncleBuck3268 » Mon Dec 21, 2020 4:14 pm

I know this isn’t ideal, but what you could do is disturb that bedding area knowing that this buck would have to move to another area. You would of course have to put the scouting work in again to find the new buck bedding but might be worth a shot!
seazofcheeze
500 Club

Unread postby seazofcheeze » Mon Dec 21, 2020 5:15 pm

Forget about the area for two years. He will burn the spot out and eventually move on, then it will be good again.
<DK>
500 Club

Unread postby <DK> » Mon Dec 21, 2020 5:28 pm

Oh man thats low...

I saw online the other day a guy posted a public map w his stand and another hunters stand. Wanted to know peoples opinion on him running over to hunt it instead :lol:
<DK>
500 Club

Unread postby <DK> » Mon Dec 21, 2020 5:31 pm

seazofcheeze wrote:Forget about the area for two years. He will burn the spot out and eventually move on, then it will be good again.

This was my thoughts as well. Hes either got to get bored or move on.

Although id consider alot of factors. I wouldnt rule out early season, bad weather, AM bed setuo or weekday hunting. My thoughts would depend on the areas potential and if I think he is just rut hunting. If he doesnt know when or what wind is best then all he has is a tree in the woods.

I agree w the others also. Id take the ribbon every time while watching for a trail cam.
<DK>
500 Club

Unread postby <DK> » Mon Dec 21, 2020 5:34 pm

Work hard to find 2-3 spots better this off season!
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Mon Dec 21, 2020 5:50 pm

It’s happened to me numerous times over the years. My last experience is why I no longer post anything online that I do anymore. Some people will stop at nothing to capitalize on your hard work. I just don’t get it. Hard to trust anybody these days.

My only suggestion is either have a talk with the guy next time you see him or just move on. Not much else you can do if it’s public land.
Bonecrusher101
500 Club

Unread postby Bonecrusher101 » Mon Dec 21, 2020 10:23 pm

I’ve gotten to a point that I don’t get attached to areas or spots I try to capitalize and hunt like it’s my last time I will ever be there, because it might be.

Like others have said, take the high road keep it moving and go find a bunch of new better spots. Leave everyone else hunting over your gut pile!

I could only imagine what dans been through with this type stuff.
Be original and Enjoy every step along the adventure.
Sparkey

Unread postby Sparkey » Tue Dec 22, 2020 12:22 am

Bonecrusher101 wrote:I’ve gotten to a point that I don’t get attached to areas or spots I try to capitalize and hunt like it’s my last time I will ever be there, because it might be.

Like others have said, take the high road keep it moving and go find a bunch of new better spots. Leave everyone else hunting over your gut pile!

I could only imagine what dans been through with this type stuff.
i saw a video and dan a brick phone. He probably knows hes being tracked by onx and aspiring chinese national american whitetail hunters so he ditched the smartphone.
With stories like this....stolen property, poaching, trespassers etc i guess i was evryone else dosnt just appreciate the outdoors and respect sportsmanship.one of my bigger past times in the past was poker and it seemed like it definetly attracted some seedy characters.i guess i was naive to believe that something ultimately based off killing for value wasnt so wholesome lol. Anyways im unsuccesful but i feel like people definetly see me and are very curious about what im up to. Anyways one thing ive learned recently from talking to other hunters wether it be here.. podcast or in person is that you have to pattern other hunters and they are patterning you once again i was naive and i feel like my future in the woods is due to be more paranoid now lol
Sparkey

Unread postby Sparkey » Tue Dec 22, 2020 12:23 am

Bonecrusher101 wrote:I’ve gotten to a point that I don’t get attached to areas or spots I try to capitalize and hunt like it’s my last time I will ever be there, because it might be.
i might write this down as rule 1 of bone crushing 101
Rich M
500 Club

Unread postby Rich M » Tue Dec 22, 2020 12:33 am

Never show anyone where you hunt or fish. You just found out why.

This dude is gonna burnt he spot - let him push the deer to you. Or as others have said - move on.

You could do him a favor and bump that bedding and stack another area.
MrT
500 Club

Unread postby MrT » Tue Dec 22, 2020 12:39 am

Make that your new pooping area.
Ghost Hunter

Unread postby Ghost Hunter » Tue Dec 22, 2020 12:47 am

He will burn area. Stop, and think where would they go from there.
I'm reason they call it hunting and not shooting.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”