Wind Question

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Xpeditionshooter

Wind Question

Unread postby Xpeditionshooter » Fri Dec 18, 2020 7:56 am

Looking for some clarification. I thought bucks usually bed with thick cover behind them and the wind at their backs, that way they can smell/hear anything coming through the thick cover and see downwind for anything approaching through the more open terrain. But in this video Dan seemed to say the opposite.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=e2Y12DRIy9M

I’m probably misunderstanding either the video or the strategy. Either way I haven’t been able to pull off a beast style hunt for two years and I think I might be using the wind wrong.

rdhuge85

Re: Wind Question

Unread postby rdhuge85 » Fri Dec 18, 2020 9:20 am

I believe since both the marsh, and the island are fairly dense, the buck is bedding with the wind coming from the most likely avenue of approach, since predators are more likely to come through the woods than through the marsh. I could be wrong though.
<DK>
500 Club

Unread postby <DK> » Fri Dec 18, 2020 10:15 am

Great video! I love that one. I remember asking my wife - "Do you think I could pull this off?" :lol:

I assume you mean when he speaks about it at the 1:15 mark? Hopefully this pic helps.

Bed Locations / Wind Direction / Set Locations

Just imagine the point is a woodlot or island. The more of a "off wind" - the closer you can get.
Xpeditionshooter

Unread postby Xpeditionshooter » Fri Dec 18, 2020 10:24 am

<DK> wrote:Great video! I love that one. I remember asking my wife - "Do you think I could pull this off?" :lol:

I assume you mean when he speaks about it at the 1:15 mark? Hopefully this pic helps.

Just imagine the point is a woodlot or island. The more of a "off wind" - the closer you can get.

Thanks for the reply! So in this diagram, if we assume the top of the page is north, I would have thought the bucks would bed there with some kind of East wind and be looking west. But that’s backwards from what actually happened right?
<DK>
500 Club

Unread postby <DK> » Fri Dec 18, 2020 10:31 am

Xpeditionshooter wrote:
<DK> wrote:Great video! I love that one. I remember asking my wife - "Do you think I could pull this off?" :lol:

Thanks for the reply! So in this diagram, if we assume the top of the page is north, I would have thought the bucks would bed there with some kind of East wind and be looking west. But that’s backwards from what actually happened right?

Correct - this pic is a Westerly Wind
rhagenw
Facebook: Rhagen Wiederholt

Unread postby rhagenw » Fri Dec 18, 2020 10:44 am

Great visual DK! And that’s an amazing clip!
Xpeditionshooter

Unread postby Xpeditionshooter » Fri Dec 18, 2020 11:32 am

<DK> wrote:
Xpeditionshooter wrote:

But wouldn’t a buck probably not bed there with a west wind?
<DK>
500 Club

Unread postby <DK> » Fri Dec 18, 2020 3:58 pm

Xpeditionshooter wrote:
<DK> wrote:
Xpeditionshooter wrote:

But wouldn’t a buck probably not bed there with a west wind?

Could you just have the topo reversed? If so, this ridge is highest on the left and declines to the right.

Here's another picture
Xpeditionshooter

Unread postby Xpeditionshooter » Sat Dec 19, 2020 2:29 am

Ah ok, I guess this is more of a hill country scenario. I wasn’t trying to argue, just trying to understand.

I was trying to post a picture from an area I hunt to better explain my question, but I can’t figure out how to do that. I hunt an area that is predominantly flat pine forest in central North Carolina. The woods are crisscrossed with swampy/marshy creeks that hold hardwoods and thick cover. I’ve found several spots where a finger of dry land sticks out into one of those swamps. I imagined bucks would bed at the tip of the finger with the wind and cover/swamp at their back, looking down the finger. I hope that makes sense. Would be happy to hear opinions if I have that backwards.
<DK>
500 Club

Unread postby <DK> » Sat Dec 19, 2020 7:42 am

Xpeditionshooter wrote:Ah ok, I guess this is more of a hill country scenario. I wasn’t trying to argue, just trying to understand.

I was trying to post a picture from an area I hunt to better explain my question, but I can’t figure out how to do that. I hunt an area that is predominantly flat pine forest in central North Carolina. The woods are crisscrossed with swampy/marshy creeks that hold hardwoods and thick cover. I’ve found several spots where a finger of dry land sticks out into one of those swamps. I imagined bucks would bed at the tip of the finger with the wind and cover/swamp at their back, looking down the finger. I hope that makes sense. Would be happy to hear opinions if I have that backwards.

Save your spot and maybe try to find a spot on the map similar to share instead.

There are lots of NC hunters that have posted on here. Finding the right threads to read may take some time but there have discussions on here about flat pines.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”