Help Understanding Regulations, Please!

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Luke Carpenter

Help Understanding Regulations, Please!

Unread postby Luke Carpenter » Thu Dec 17, 2020 4:31 am

Well, I've read this over and over again and I think I've come to a conclusion of what it means..... I won't get into how terrible Michigan's system is when it comes to seasons, zones, tags, and overall confusion on almost every topic. But I'm really having a hard time figuring this one out. I've looked all over the place and sent emails to the DNR and can't find anything on it! So im gonna ask here too. If any Michiganders know the rules on this, or anyone else would be kind enough to venture a guess on this, I would very much appreciate it! Thanks!
Screenshot_20201216-102117_Drive.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Galatians 2:20
I am crucified with Christ: nevertheless I live; yet not I, but Christ liveth in me: and the life which I now live in the flesh I live by the faith of the Son of God, who loved me, and gave himself for me.
Luke Carpenter

Re: Help Understanding Regulations, Please!

Unread postby Luke Carpenter » Thu Dec 17, 2020 4:37 am

I've been trying to figure this out for weeks with no results. I should preface that I also hunt in the core CWD zone, APR's, no APR's, muzzloader only, firearm during muzzleloading, I hunt on both sides of the limited firearm zone, and in the middle of zones 2 and 3. So I've had a really hard time keeping the rules for each "county" straight! Its so confusing. So forgive me if there is an obvious answer to this question.
I am crucified with Christ: nevertheless I live; yet not I, but Christ liveth in me: and the life which I now live in the flesh I live by the faith of the Son of God, who loved me, and gave himself for me.
mipubbucks24
500 Club

Unread postby mipubbucks24 » Thu Dec 17, 2020 8:17 am

I have been studying this also, so you can use your muzzleloader in zone 3 to take an antler-less deer with your buck tag. The muzzleloader on public land only is for the late antler-less hunt. On private you can use whatever weapon you want, but again that is for antler less only.

As far as I understand you cannot use it for a buck, the only season open for buck is bow.

You have to reference that page to the one I have attached to know if you can use your buck tag on a doe in whatever area.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
MichiganMike
500 Club

Unread postby MichiganMike » Thu Dec 17, 2020 8:43 am

Yeah I get tired trying to figure out this stupid Michigan digest. Every year its something different seems like,. I just keep it easy for myself and shoot one doe and one Big Buck with gun or bow. That's all I need. Preferably both with bow. I don't worry about private land or muzzleloader. All these hunts they have (Liberty, Youth, late/early antlerless in Zone this or that etc.) just spins my head around and I think it does that for a lot of people. They want more hunter participation (I think) and are trying wipe out does- but make it SO confusing that I think it actually turns people off. Im sure the insurance companies have a lot to do with it. Sorry- probably not much help on that, but thank you for posting and allowing me to vent! lol
mipubbucks24
500 Club

Unread postby mipubbucks24 » Thu Dec 17, 2020 9:34 am

Yup it’s confusing, my friend from Indiana who hunts Michigan always complains about how confusing it is. They could make it a lot simpler but they are trying to maximize harvest due to CWD. I’m taking the muzzleloader out on public here soon to try and kill a doe, still have my public land doe tag left. Might try tomorrow morning as we have got some snow now, be easier to find them.
Luke Carpenter

Unread postby Luke Carpenter » Thu Dec 17, 2020 9:51 am

Yeah, they say the reason for all these special seasons is hunter recruitment. Yet then they make the rules so hard to understand it truly does turn many off. Thank you for your responses. Its much appreciated! I know it's probably a mess up on wording and intent on the DNR's part. But when they say, "any deer may be harvested with your buck tags, on public land with a muzzleloader" its hard to not think one could legally harvest a buck with a smoke poll right now... and show an officer that as proof.
MichiganMike
500 Club

Unread postby MichiganMike » Thu Dec 17, 2020 10:53 am

Luke Carpenter wrote:Yeah, they say the reason for all these special seasons is hunter recruitment. Yet then they make the rules so hard to understand it truly does turn many off. Thank you for your responses. Its much appreciated! I know it's probably a mess up on wording and intent on the DNR's part. But when they say, "any deer may be harvested with your buck tags, on public land with a muzzleloader" its hard to not think one could legally harvest a buck with a smoke poll right now... and show an officer that as proof.

Yeah its confusing. i always thought Muzzle loader was for bucks, but I'm sure a lot of them drop by then anyway and again, I know they want to thin the does out which I have no problem with. They need better detail on their rules, but also better marketing & publishing on these digests.

I would also like for them to get rid of the youth hunt. Kids can hunt with their parents during gun season like it used to be. When they reach 16 and pass a hunter safety course, then can hunt on their own. They can come up to deer camp, share the commoradorie and earn their way like we used to do. I ALWAYS looked forward to that when I was a kid. Vets, disability hunt not a problem- but again- run them during season and they get a discount on license fees. they can even go as far as current military and first responders too. Get them a discount instead of these special seasons. seniors get a discount- I don't see why they cant for them. But that's just a start. I dont want to get into APRs haha.
Kevin2

Unread postby Kevin2 » Thu Dec 24, 2020 10:02 am

Call your local DNR office. THE last thing you want to do is go out hunting NOT knowing for sure OR going and doing so by getting information from someone other then a DNR officer. I run into this same issue in Michigan every season, the book is weak at best, sometimes more then once I am on the phone clarifying new things with them. I just call them and ask them. I always get a answer ONE way or another. I then write down the time I called, the officers name, and put it into my hunting file JUST incase I run into a problem over said issue. Most the DNR officers are extremely helpful.
"Hunt and let Hunt" my new saying...

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”