WI Holiday Hunt?

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Rutnstrut
500 Club

Re: WI Holiday Hunt?

Unread postby Rutnstrut » Sun Dec 20, 2020 5:47 pm

It's just plain stupid. I try not to be too hard on the DNR as I know their job can be difficult. But when they create the difficulty themselves. It's hard to feel sorry for them.

gunner24

Unread postby gunner24 » Tue Dec 22, 2020 3:28 pm

Dumb. The public will get pounded undoubtedly. Pressure has been ludicrous this year. On the bright side the deer are already pushed out of all the easy spots on public. They long gone already.
PublicLandOwner529

Unread postby PublicLandOwner529 » Wed Dec 23, 2020 6:00 am

This is a legitimate question....sorry if it has been asked already.

Isn’t there a meeting sometime in spring about the deer season structure?

I don’t see ANYONE on this forum that is in favor of the holiday hunt, is there a way we could make a push at a meeting to have the holiday hunt abolished for future seasons? The dnr will keep it going unless we voice our opinions on how we fee it is negative to the hunting community.

Maybe someone with some more knowledge on thy type of thing can chime in.
greenhorndave
500 Club

Unread postby greenhorndave » Wed Dec 23, 2020 6:44 am

PublicLandOwner529 wrote:This is a legitimate question....sorry if it has been asked already.

I don’t see ANYONE on this forum that is in favor of the holiday hunt, is there a way we could make a push at a meeting to have the holiday hunt abolished for future seasons? The dnr will keep it going unless we voice our opinions on how we fee it is negative to the hunting community.

There are meetings in the spring for sure. That question might have to be submitted prior to the meetings? I’ve never submitted any proposals, but it’s worth looking into.
----------
Sometimes when things get tough, weird or both, you just need to remember this...
https://youtu.be/d4tSE2w53ts
PublicLandOwner529

Unread postby PublicLandOwner529 » Wed Dec 23, 2020 6:48 am

I will definitely try looking into it further...but this kind of stuff definitely is not my area of expertise.
But If anyone else brings more details to the table I am for sure onboard to voice my opinion and help in any way I can
PublicLandOwner529

Unread postby PublicLandOwner529 » Wed Dec 23, 2020 7:09 am

Talked to an agent and he led me to a link, this is copied directly from the dnr website:

Meetings Set to Discuss Wisconsin's Deer Herd Size and Management Units

Every three years, County Deer Advisory Council’s (CDACs) provide recommendations to the DNR that help determine the herd size objective (increase, decrease, maintain) for their county. The fall of 2020 marks the end of the last three-year cycle and meetings are being held this winter to determine the herd size objectives for the next three years (2021-2023). Councils develop their recommendations using two meetings separated by a public input period to provide transparency and multiple opportunities for public input. The DNR will also discuss a review of deer management unit and zone boundaries as part of this process. Here are the upcoming steps and ways you can get involved

January 4-13 2021 is the public meeting where you can voice your input.

Here is the link if anyone else wants to read through for themselves.

https://dnr.wisconsin.gov/topic/Hunt/cdac
SteveD

Unread postby SteveD » Wed Jan 13, 2021 11:53 am

Goofy as , why don't they just open the whole damn state up to one any weapon season and then after everything is blown away start over and make the seasons bow and gun like they used to be before all the bitching and political correct attitude took over.
You would start to see a of a lot better HUNTING for everyone in time, yep that includes the give em all a ribbon kids hunts also.
szwampdonkey
500 Club

Unread postby szwampdonkey » Wed Jan 13, 2021 3:30 pm

Hate it.

Living in SE WI all of the counties i regularly hunt (Walworth, Waukesha, and Jefferson) are effected.

I’ve taken to bowhunting up until Gun deer, hunt the regular 9 day Gun deer season, then quit deer hunting for the remainder of Nov through Jan 1. There is just no point with all that continual pressure.

After all those stupid anterless gun seasons are done i’ll give it a week or so then pick up the bow again and get back after it. It’s pretty quiet once winters grip lays in pretty hard and the cold and snow start flying.
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Wed Jan 13, 2021 3:35 pm

Even worse than the Holiday Hunt is when they have the statewide antlerless hunt in December and your not allowed to bowhunt bucks at the same time in the buck only units up north. Makes no sense to let a county or unit sit and not allow hunters to legally hunt bucks since does are not legal.
Years ago during the T-Zone hunts in October it was allowed. :?
szwampdonkey
500 Club

Unread postby szwampdonkey » Wed Jan 13, 2021 3:47 pm

PublicLandOwner529 wrote:This is a legitimate question....sorry if it has been asked already.

I’ve voiced my displeasure at these for years now.

Not sure how many it would take to enact a change but i’ve not seen any hunters voice support at those meetings. Someone else likes them and apparently their opinion carries more weight than the average Joe like most things in Govt nowadays.
greenhorndave
500 Club

Unread postby greenhorndave » Wed Jan 13, 2021 5:09 pm

I'm going to propose dropping it this year. Probably won't get anywhere, but I will anyhow.
----------
Sometimes when things get tough, weird or both, you just need to remember this...
https://youtu.be/d4tSE2w53ts
PublicLandOwner529

Unread postby PublicLandOwner529 » Thu Jan 14, 2021 12:17 pm

szwampdonkey wrote:

I’ve voiced my displeasure at these for years now.

Not sure how many it would take to enact a change but i’ve not seen any hunters voice support at those meetings. Someone else likes them and apparently their opinion carries more weight than the average Joe like most things in Govt nowadays.

Yeah I know the odds aren’t great, but it’s worth a shot. I voiced my opinion on it today. Just hopefully others do as well.
PublicLandOwner529

Unread postby PublicLandOwner529 » Thu Jan 14, 2021 12:19 pm

greenhorndave wrote:I'm going to propose dropping it this year. Probably won't get anywhere, but I will anyhow.

Hey, it’s worth a shot. Thanks!

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”