Is camouflage REALLY necessary?

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

AustinPape
Facebook: Austin pape

Is camouflage REALLY necessary?

Unread postby AustinPape » Mon Dec 14, 2020 10:44 pm

Over the years I have worn everything from blue jeans and flannel to firstlite’s newest camo patterns and everything in between. To me, the only real no go was blue jeans, somehow they pick blue easy, even in a stand with a blue sky. But my real question is, how many of you feel camouflage is 100% necessary vs how many people think stand placement that breaks up silhouettes and knowing when to move and when not to move is more important? When I look at most camo patterns from up close you can see all the intricate leaves and branches weaved throughout but when you get say 20 yards away, all the little details are so small they just blend together and make a big brown blob that looks like a human shadow.

Heckhank

Re: Is camouflage REALLY necessary?

Unread postby Heckhank » Mon Dec 14, 2020 10:48 pm

Earth tones. No blue. HECK with camo.
Ryan549
500 Club

Unread postby Ryan549 » Mon Dec 14, 2020 11:05 pm

I think camo is overrated. That being said, I do wear it from time to time, mainly because it is my colder weather gear. I just don’t put all of my faith into it.
Ryan
Swamp Stache

Unread postby Swamp Stache » Mon Dec 14, 2020 11:12 pm

Sitting still/slow movements is much more important than camouflage.
It only takes 15 seconds for the hunt of a lifetime.
tim
500 Club

Unread postby tim » Tue Dec 15, 2020 12:26 am

No
PK_
500 Club

Unread postby PK_ » Tue Dec 15, 2020 1:07 am

Good camo helps but it is not necessary if you can sit still and know how not to stick out like a sore thumb. Period. I would hunt in a blue suit with blue boots and a blue hat, idc. Deer are pretty much blind as a bat IMO. The wrong kind of movement at the wrong time is what gets us picked off most of the time.
No Shortcuts. No Excuses. No Regrets.
Everybody's selling dreams. I'm too cheap to buy one.
Rich M wrote:Typically, hunting FL has been like getting a root canal
Wetfoot
500 Club

Unread postby Wetfoot » Tue Dec 15, 2020 1:23 am

While not absolutely necessary camo definitely helps. UV brighteners certainly make you easier to spot, I've been standing motionless with good back cover (to help break up my outline) and had older bucks pick me off at 50 yards. With a good neutral color camo that has a very open design, Ive had bucks stare right through me at 10 yards. As I've aged, I do alot more bow hunting from the ground, so nowadays, I typically wear camo. But hunting is alot like politics, everyone has an opinion, do what you believe in and learn from your experiences.
mheichelbech
500 Club
Facebook: mheichelbech@gmail.com

Unread postby mheichelbech » Tue Dec 15, 2020 2:08 am

Not necessary but then neither are a lot of things. I don’t need a $600 rod and reel to catch little green fish but I’ve spent that much on one. Marketing and the ego’s need to have and be the best have been a big engine for the economy.
"One of the chief attractions of the life of the wilderness is its rugged and stalwart democracy; there every man stands for what he actually is and can show himself to be." — Theodore Roosevelt, 1893
Edcyclopedia

Unread postby Edcyclopedia » Tue Dec 15, 2020 2:13 am

2-Seasons ago I arrowed a Doe while wearing blue shorts & short sleeves, while blowing snot out my nose (had a cold) and having Off spray for the insects...
Of course I played the wind... ;) :mrgreen:
Expect the Unexpected when you least Expect it...
Thesouthpaw
500 Club

Unread postby Thesouthpaw » Tue Dec 15, 2020 4:32 am

Its definitely not necessary. I don't think I was in full camo for any of the bucks that I killed this year.
Anything worth doing, is worth over doing.
Prairie Sasquatch
500 Club

Unread postby Prairie Sasquatch » Tue Dec 15, 2020 4:38 am

I think understanding how to set up and use shadows is much more important. I find all camo patterns too dark for where i do the majority of my hunting. I’ve gone to more solid khakis and have even made my own patterns with a rattle can over khaki base.
Jackson Marsh

Unread postby Jackson Marsh » Tue Dec 15, 2020 4:41 am

Blending in with your surroundings is important. How you do that is up to you...sometimes just holding still works.
Hawthorne
500 Club

Unread postby Hawthorne » Tue Dec 15, 2020 4:47 am

I think the right camo can give you a slight edge in heavy pressed areas with skittish deer. Might give you a few extra seconds to get a shot off. I’ve noticed a difference while wearing my ASAT leafy suit in their behavior. More during the rut timeframe with foliage gone
Tennhunter3
500 Club

Unread postby Tennhunter3 » Tue Dec 15, 2020 4:58 am

Earth tones will work.

I would not wear anything yellow or blue.
It spooks game.
Never give up Freedom for imagined safety.
Ranger12
500 Club

Unread postby Ranger12 » Tue Dec 15, 2020 5:56 am

I have predator fall camp that I really like for warmth and the earthy tones, but I still don’t feel it’s necessary at all. I always have my camo in my pack with stand and sticks, as I hate getting all sweaty. Most times I don’t even get up in a tree as I just scout the whole time, so wearing all of my clothing doesn’t make any sense. I usually have rubber boots, blue jeans and a hoodie, and if I do find a tree, half the time it’s too late or I’m too warm to get my clothing in and I end up sitting in my jeans and hoodie. I have seen many deer this way and killed them this way as well. Cano in not necessary in my eyes.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”