Last day...

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Last day...

Unread postby dan » Fri Dec 11, 2020 12:37 pm

I got off of work early yesterday with a heavy mind knowing it would likely be the last day I deer hunt this season. On the long drive home I thought about where I would have my best odds. Perhaps the bow only area in the city limits? I watched for a familiar American flag at the 1/2 way point of the drive that I find my self using as a wind direction indicator every day along my ride.
Hmm, North wind. Weird, with how warm it was I thought for sure it would be south. That changed my thoughts on where to go. I thought about a drive we did during gun season. A new spot. I drove it myself for the younger guys cause I really wanted to see what was going on in that mysterious tangle of cattails and water. I had found some really good isolated bedding and the deer escaped across a river as I approached.
I thought, I could take the muzzle loader and get up a tree hanging over the river and see into the staging area when the bucks got up in the evening, and a North wind would work well.
I picked up a pizza on my way home, and tried to spend a nice lunch with Carol before heading out, but it was hard to concentrate as my mind raced about trying the new spot, or if I should try something else.
I contemplated the different areas and kept telling myself the new spot has to be where the bucks are hiding... The day light was burning, and I headed for the new spot with high hopes. As I approached I saw a line of reflective tacks in the trees heading down to where I was heading. Then I saw blood and deer hair on a tree... A little further and there was a gut pile. The tree I needed to hunt was just 10 yards from the gut pile, and just across the river from the bedding.
I thought about trying someplace else, but at this point I did not have the time left. I climbed the tree and stared out over the cattails. It was a great last day. Warm, quiet, and no one else in sight. My mind lost all thoughts of political crisis, and the woes of todays world were forgotten, and once again I was feral and free. It really is the greatest feeling in the world to escape the world with all thats going on lately.
Instead I thought of past hunts where I was successful on the last day, I thought about how the season went, and how cool it was for Dave to get our target buck on the farm... Then as if kicked awake from a dream I heard footsteps in the cattails coming from the bedding area towards the river. I stared and listened as it got closer. It kept coming and coming, then I finally saw some cattails move and got the bino's up and studied the spot searching for a deer. But it wasn't a deer, it was a possum out for stroll.
It made me laugh how a possum fooled me and got the old heart racing... As the day ended a young bald eagle soared by and capped off the season... Friends, that right there is what hunting is really about. None of us are starving, it dont matter if you hang another buck on the wall, what matters is that your out there enjoying the chase, and your in the game.
PHOTO.jpg

vwj

Re: Last day...

Unread postby vwj » Fri Dec 11, 2020 12:52 pm

Couldn’t have agreed with you more Dan! Thanks for sharing your great stories and your wealth of knowledge! Been on here for awhile but I just don’t comment much cause I’m just like a sponge trying to absorb as much information as possible!
Just wanted to take this time to say thank you for all you do!
Hookslinger
500 Club

Unread postby Hookslinger » Fri Dec 11, 2020 12:56 pm

Nothing like time in the tree, watching the sun rise or set, to clear the mind, body, and soul. Or at the very least provide a brief escape from this crazy thing we call reality. Thanks for what you do Dan, and what you have created here. The Hunting Beast has really changed my perspective on alot of things tactic wise, and reiterated what I already knew and felt about the great outdoors.
john1984

Unread postby john1984 » Fri Dec 11, 2020 1:55 pm

Shed bucks are still fair game until thee end of January ;)
UncleBuck3268
500 Club
Facebook: NONE

Unread postby UncleBuck3268 » Fri Dec 11, 2020 2:16 pm

Haha this is an awesome post Dan. It truly is all about nature and what it has to offer. It’s amazing when you think about big cities and how far civilization has gone from its natural habitat. Something about nature just trips that trigger in some of us. I can’t imagine doing big city living and not having these types of experiences. It warms the soul.
VilasCo

Unread postby VilasCo » Fri Dec 11, 2020 7:06 pm

"None of us are starving, it dont matter if you hang another buck on the wall, what matters is that your out there enjoying the chase, and your in the game."

This is a great summary. It's easy to get wrapped up in the "game" and become frustrated. When the frustration sets in this will be the quote that will come me when it's time to reset. Thank you, Dan, for the continued wisdom and inspiration.
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Fri Dec 11, 2020 7:13 pm

Some guys would rather kill a buck on opening day and be done. That’s not me. I always say a dream season for me would be to hunt hard through all the ups and downs of the ENTIRE season while experiencing all the sights and sounds mother nature provides then killing a big mature buck on the last seconds of the last day. One old warrior battling to the end with another old warrior. That there is what I would call a perfect satisfying journey. The chase is what it’s all about and I live for those encounters even if they don’t end up in a kill I’m a happy man.
Putt400
500 Club

Unread postby Putt400 » Sat Dec 12, 2020 12:52 am

Watching nature unfold before our eyes and being center stage of it all is truly a blessing. Many times I’ve sat in a tree and reminded myself how fortunate I am to be doing this like many other hunters. Dan is right, enjoying the chase is where it all matters...the filled tag or a wall hanger is just a bonus.
“No matter how good or bad your life is, wake up each morning and be thankful you still have one”...Zig Ziglar
muddy

Unread postby muddy » Sat Dec 12, 2020 9:25 am

I've mistaken more grinners for approaching deer than anything else. Fun hunt though
http://www.iowawhitetail.com
Leading the way for habitat and management information

"It's a good thing you don't need commas and colons to kill deer" -seaz
rfickes87
500 Club

Unread postby rfickes87 » Sat Dec 12, 2020 9:40 am

Heck of a post Dan!
"Pressure and Time. That's all it takes, really. Pressure, and time..."
KPillinois

Unread postby KPillinois » Sat Dec 12, 2020 3:28 pm

For me Illinois bow season doesn't end until Jan17th 2021 and for sure once i get the Beast sticks i ordered (pre-orders shipping out around Dec 18) I'm going out one morning about 10 a.m., pick a tree and sit right up till dark and just enjoy it..... There is no way i can put the new Beast sticks off to the side and wait for next year...... might even get lucky and be able to say "got me another one"
I've changed my ways, I'm now looking for big bucks on public land.
rhagenw
Facebook: Rhagen Wiederholt

Unread postby rhagenw » Mon Dec 14, 2020 9:31 am

Hate to see the BBSK done with time on the clock left to go!

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”