Questions for Planning a Setup

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

DeadHeadSpread

Questions for Planning a Setup

Unread postby DeadHeadSpread » Tue Dec 08, 2020 6:05 am

In September I caught a big buck on trail cam in public land a few weeks before our PA season opened. I threw a few hunts at the area and didn't see him but saw a decent amount of other hunters. Yesterday I went out to try to figure out where he was bedding and plan for early next season. I scoured the area, discounted some beds I believe were immature buck bedding, and finally found a few beds in an area where I think a mature buck would want to bed. He can see well toward the north for about 180 degrees, looking at a gradual uphill slope, with his back to the south/southwest where the prevailing wind comes over his shoulder, and thick brush behind him. No ag for miles so my best guess on food is grass fields to the north about 300 yards from beds, and a recent clearcut to the south about 100 yards from beds.

I plan to go back once more this winter to identify a few trees for multiple setups (to hunt him down over a few hunts, probably 3 trees in different exit routes from the beds.) Here are my questions:

1. There is a nice size pond about 100 yards to the west of the closest bed I found. I think being close to a drink adds to "why" the buck would be bedding here early season. Since the pond is downwind/cross wind on prevailing and out of sight of the beds I think between the beds and this pond would be the best place to throw the first sit in early October. In the early season warm weather is a buck more likely to head straight to the closest drink when he gets up instead of toward the food?
2. I'm new at beast style but from my reading here I'm confident this location will hold a good buck next year. I'd like to soak a trail cam from Mid January(once all hunting seasons are over) until like August/September and try to pick it up during a heavy rain. Probably on the best trail between beds and the pond. Is it worth it to get a cam in close like that and risk busting deer out or leaving scent in August or September when I pick it up, or maybe I should just set it up near the grass field a few hundred yards from the beds?
3. Lots of satellite deer in this area. Is it worth an observation sit or 2 a few hundred yards away in the clearcut to the south preseason or just throw the hunts at it so I don't chance spooking satellite deer and possibly a target buck during the observation?

Big Tracks Matter
<DK>
500 Club

Re: Questions for Planning a Setup

Unread postby <DK> » Wed Dec 09, 2020 4:44 am

DeadHeadSpread wrote:1. There is a nice size pond about 100 yards to the west of the closest bed I found. I think being close to a drink adds to "why" the buck would be bedding here early season. Since the pond is downwind/cross wind on prevailing and out of sight of the beds I think between the beds and this pond would be the best place to throw the first sit in early October. In the early season warm weather is a buck more likely to head straight to the closest drink when he gets up instead of toward the food?
Thats debatable but the key is monitoring the weather conditions at the time. Watch for those dry spells and oaks start dropping hard. Some years its real wet. They say that deer can get h2o thru vegetation but not when its dry.
In general - yes, I see them bed close to water somehow early season. Ponds in farm country are great bc they usually will have tall crp or security cover for him to move around, probably even browse. In the hills, those ponds at higher elevations can be great. Especially if they have a cut/ditch running up to them. I also see them close creeks where water holds for days after rains. If I go scouting post season and find frozen water, I always mark it bc it should be there in Sept as well.

2. I'm new at beast style but from my reading here I'm confident this location will hold a good buck next year. I'd like to soak a trail cam from Mid January(once all hunting seasons are over) until like August/September and try to pick it up during a heavy rain. Probably on the best trail between beds and the pond. Is it worth it to get a cam in close like that and risk busting deer out or leaving scent in August or September when I pick it up, or maybe I should just set it up near the grass field a few hundred yards from the beds?
You need to trust your gut instinct on that. I like doing that around June/July bc you can tell what the bucks main frame is and they are pretty relaxed at that time. However, consider when the earliest they can shed velvet is and the last check should be before that. Obviously a good rain day is different but once they shed, its a different game. If other hunters are in there then I would be very tactical w my cam placement.

3. Lots of satellite deer in this area. Is it worth an observation sit or 2 a few hundred yards away in the clearcut to the south preseason or just throw the hunts at it so I don't chance spooking satellite deer and possibly a target buck during the observation?
Thats a preference to each hunter. I personally dont do observation sits but I also dont have great viewing areas. The older I get the more I realize its one of the best tactics for hunting - when possible. Observation I would use for watching his entry/exits into a field or food source.
Exp on the property will help with not spooking satellite deer. I like to post season scout w the right wind directions for the spot, mark exactly where I was standing when the deer jump up. Later in Sept I can for sure get to that spot bc of the cover and noises. In high density areas it will still happen but as long as its early enough in the day, the hunt isnt over. It can actually help sometimes and get other deer up and moving. Sometimes I expect to bump the Does and plan a entry so they spook away from the buck. I still say exp and scouting in the spot is the key.

You mentioned other hunters moving in there as well, so I would suggest learning the surrounding area well in case it happens again and he shifts. You seem to have a good grasp on what you want to do. Just trust yourself. Find the tracks man! His will stand out over all the others. I hope this helps. Theres lots of PA hunters on here so I hope someone else comments
DeadHeadSpread

Unread postby DeadHeadSpread » Thu Dec 10, 2020 5:09 am

<DK> wrote:
DeadHeadSpread wrote:1. There is a nice size pond about 100 yards to the west of the closest bed I found. I think being close to a drink adds to "why" the buck would be bedding here early season. Since the pond is downwind/cross wind on prevailing and out of sight of the beds I think between the beds and this pond would be the best place to throw the first sit in early October. In the early season warm weather is a buck more likely to head straight to the closest drink when he gets up instead of toward the food?
Thats debatable but the key is monitoring the weather conditions at the time. Watch for those dry spells and oaks start dropping hard. Some years its real wet. They say that deer can get h2o thru vegetation but not when its dry.
In general - yes, I see them bed close to water somehow early season. Ponds in farm country are great bc they usually will have tall crp or security cover for him to move around, probably even browse. In the hills, those ponds at higher elevations can be great. Especially if they have a cut/ditch running up to them. I also see them close creeks where water holds for days after rains. If I go scouting post season and find frozen water, I always mark it bc it should be there in Sept as well.

You need to trust your gut instinct on that. I like doing that around June/July bc you can tell what the bucks main frame is and they are pretty relaxed at that time. However, consider when the earliest they can shed velvet is and the last check should be before that. Obviously a good rain day is different but once they shed, its a different game. If other hunters are in there then I would be very tactical w my cam placement.

Thats a preference to each hunter. I personally dont do observation sits but I also dont have great viewing areas. The older I get the more I realize its one of the best tactics for hunting - when possible. Observation I would use for watching his entry/exits into a field or food source.
Exp on the property will help with not spooking satellite deer. I like to post season scout w the right wind directions for the spot, mark exactly where I was standing when the deer jump up. Later in Sept I can for sure get to that spot bc of the cover and noises. In high density areas it will still happen but as long as its early enough in the day, the hunt isnt over. It can actually help sometimes and get other deer up and moving. Sometimes I expect to bump the Does and plan a entry so they spook away from the buck. I still say exp and scouting in the spot is the key.

You mentioned other hunters moving in there as well, so I would suggest learning the surrounding area well in case it happens again and he shifts. You seem to have a good grasp on what you want to do. Just trust yourself. Find the tracks man! His will stand out over all the others. I hope this helps. Theres lots of PA hunters on here so I hope someone else comments

I appreciate your responses. Very good information!
Big Tracks Matter
Coalcracker

Unread postby Coalcracker » Fri Dec 11, 2020 1:09 am

DeadHeadSpread,

Hello my fello Pa hunter. Sounds like your well on the way.

My advice:
#1. Hunt the hunters, figure out where they come from, where they like hunting and if you can when they hunt. Figure out their routine and do the opposite.

Otherwise, your putting everything else together. Your working hard to identify how the deer use the property and why they might do something based on the conditions.

With the cameras, I'm not a big fan. I use them for inventory so their located in high traffic places such as a food source or in your case a water source during the summer. I pull them come Sept. and don't use them again until the season is over. I say, do what you want to do.
I rely on post season scouting and the following in season scouting to confirm a mature buck is continuing to use the area I'm hunting.
Shoot Straight
DeadHeadSpread

Unread postby DeadHeadSpread » Wed Dec 16, 2020 2:57 pm

Coalcracker wrote:DeadHeadSpread,

Hello my fello Pa hunter. Sounds like your well on the way.

My advice:
#1. Hunt the hunters, figure out where they come from, where they like hunting and if you can when they hunt. Figure out their routine and do the opposite.

Otherwise, your putting everything else together. Your working hard to identify how the deer use the property and why they might do something based on the conditions.

With the cameras, I'm not a big fan. I use them for inventory so their located in high traffic places such as a food source or in your case a water source during the summer. I pull them come Sept. and don't use them again until the season is over. I say, do what you want to do.
I rely on post season scouting and the following in season scouting to confirm a mature buck is continuing to use the area I'm hunting.

Thanks for the advice! I gathered a little intel on the other hunters this past year but definitely will be looking harder for hunter sign any time I’m out there.
Big Tracks Matter

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”