Doe running the show

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

mipubbucks24
500 Club

Doe running the show

Unread postby mipubbucks24 » Fri Dec 04, 2020 2:44 pm

I have read and seen a lot of guys talk about bucks pushing does into cover and keeping them in cover while breeding, and kinda running the show. The buck I was able to shoot on second day of gun this year, I watched breed a doe 3/4 times. But by the end of the day after watching the 2 of them, I truly believe the doe was running the show. I think this is because of him being a younger buck 2.5 years old I believe.

My hypothesis is the older doe will run the show when breeding with a relatively young buck, and the older bucks 3.5 and up, will run the show more.

So my question is how many of you guys have seen this before and if so what was the age of the buck and doe in your opinion?

CattailCommander

Re: Doe running the show

Unread postby CattailCommander » Sat Dec 05, 2020 12:34 am

As most men know, women always wear the pants in any relationship!

Interesting observation though, I know a doe won't breed unless she's 100% ready so I think no matter what the does will dictate what the bucks are going to do. I know sometimes bucks/does, when locked down, will be in areas where they can see a long way to fend off any potential bucks trying to steal the doe. I have seen it once, in a wide open plowed corn field, 1 mile from the river bottom, 1/2 mile from the closest trees (someones grove around their house) but is that just the buck trying to keep other bucks away or is it the doe also trying to keep any other subordinate bucks away so she can breed with the best buck(s) (survival of the fittest). I think you are right though that in some ways the does play more of a role than we know.
PK_
500 Club

Re: Doe running the show

Unread postby PK_ » Sat Dec 05, 2020 1:52 am

Imo most of the time, younger bucks chase does and older bucks push does.
No Shortcuts. No Excuses. No Regrets.
Everybody's selling dreams. I'm too cheap to buy one.
Rich M wrote:Typically, hunting FL has been like getting a root canal

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”