You Can't Hunt for an Entire Season...

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

thumbsmcgee

You Can't Hunt for an Entire Season...

Unread postby thumbsmcgee » Fri Dec 04, 2020 5:54 am

What do you do?

It's the situation I'll be in next year, as Uncle Sam has called my name...again. This time it's during the best part of the year deer season.

I'm not sure if I'd be allowed to bring a take-down recurve in country, but let's assume I'm not. Is the Accubow thing any good? Any experience?

Besides reading everything I can and watching YouTube channels, what would you do to become a better deer hunter if you had to have a mandated year off with no bow?

Crazinamatese

Re: You Can't Hunt for an Entire Season...

Unread postby Crazinamatese » Fri Dec 04, 2020 5:59 am

A couple of options. Go AWOL, or have someone send a bow to you in while in country. That is if you trust the postal service not to break your stuff between point A and point B.

I missed a couple of seasons for the same reason and really I kept my mind off it. But that was back when youtube wasnt around and hunting beast didnt exist. You might have accomodations where you go where you can access good internet and keep up on this kinda stuff.

Otherwise, maybe do a ton of cyberscouting so you have somewhat a game plan when you return.
The cave you fear hides the treasure you seek!!!
Jonny
500 Club

Unread postby Jonny » Fri Dec 04, 2020 6:09 am

Scout out of season and cyberscout if possible. If you are back for the winter maybe do some small game hunting or trapping. Something to get out in the woods.
You have a monkey Mr. Munson?
Chuck B
500 Club

Unread postby Chuck B » Fri Dec 04, 2020 6:28 am

I would cyber scout and take very detailed notes of good winds, access, etc. so you can maximize your scouting when you get back.

Also, I would take the time to cyberscout a neighboring state (or any state(s) as well. If I were you, I’d want to hunt as much as possible when you get back, so being very prepared for an out of state hunt or two would greatly increase your odds for success

Thank you for your service.
If you aren't green and growing, you are ripe and rotting
ODH
500 Club

Unread postby ODH » Fri Dec 04, 2020 7:10 am

Thank you for your service! Two ideas for you - first will you have any access to range time? If so you can use that to become a better shot regardless of what you are shooting. Second, I seem to do a better job of figuring out a property when I just vision it in my head as opposed to being there. I can remember every detail about places I hunt regularly and I keep noodling over where the deer are, where they bed, where/when they travel, etc. that’s helped me get dialed in in the past. Good luck and stay safe.
Edcyclopedia

Unread postby Edcyclopedia » Fri Dec 04, 2020 9:06 am

Thanks for Your Service - God Bless...
Expect the Unexpected when you least Expect it...
phade
500 Club

Unread postby phade » Fri Dec 04, 2020 9:22 am

The best thing you can do IMO is to SAVE YOUR MONEY UP. You'll have a chance to improve your financial position as your discretionary spending "needs" will be less; whether that is getting out of debt or piling up cash to have a positive net worth.

It'll help you become a better hunter or have more fun hunting when you get back. Whether that is via land ownership, having reserves to spend on out of state trips, lessons/trainings, etc.

Good luck and thank you.
http://www.pursuitoutdoors.com
Trail Camera Sales, Industry Updates, and Cam Troubleshooting - PM for HB pricing
buttonbuck
500 Club

Unread postby buttonbuck » Mon Dec 07, 2020 5:49 am

thumbsmcgee wrote:What do you do?

It's the situation I'll be in next year, as Uncle Sam has called my name...again. This time it's during the best part of the year deer season.

I'm not sure if I'd be allowed to bring a take-down recurve in country, but let's assume I'm not. Is the Accubow thing any good? Any experience?

Besides reading everything I can and watching YouTube channels, what would you do to become a better deer hunter if you had to have a mandated year off with no bow?

Run alot of cameras through the season. Use all that collected intel when you return for the follow up season.
Tufrthnails
500 Club

Unread postby Tufrthnails » Mon Dec 07, 2020 6:15 am

I assuming you will be at an APO. Just order and a cheap trad bow in and keep slinging arrows. I understand it might be command dependent but we had guys with compounds, trad bows, one dude was nasty good with a slingshot. FYI the high density foam some of the good stuff is packed in makes a great bow target.
Tuf- The below average hunting beast
Rsnyder
Facebook: na

Unread postby Rsnyder » Wed Dec 09, 2020 5:48 am

Thank you for your sacrifice Sir
jkelley1487

Unread postby jkelley1487 » Wed Dec 09, 2020 9:20 am

Thank you for your service.
headgear
500 Club

Unread postby headgear » Wed Dec 09, 2020 1:09 pm

Cyber scout like mad and follow the beast to get a little hunting fix. Was going to say take up trad but you got that covered.
muddy

Unread postby muddy » Wed Dec 09, 2020 3:46 pm

Take down recurves are great and easy to pack/ship. I have a Bear take down in the classifieds right now.

Everyone else's suggestions are great. Keep your head down and thank you for your service.
http://www.iowawhitetail.com
Leading the way for habitat and management information

"It's a good thing you don't need commas and colons to kill deer" -seaz

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”