Deer Selfies

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

UncleBuck3268
500 Club
Facebook: NONE

Re: Deer Selfies

Unread postby UncleBuck3268 » Thu Dec 03, 2020 1:03 pm

Each and every time I shoot a deer I make it a ritual to take a full minute with that deer and thank it for its meat and the experience. I believe this is a part of good woodsmanship.

I absolutely understand the concern of a selfie with a deer because it is a level of respect with what nature provides for us. It runs very deep in some of us.

I just think that each own has their own style and way of doing things. A picture is not the worst thing that I have seen.

What really pisses me off is hearing of people running deer over with snowmobiles and such. If I ever had a hold on one of these people I would drop them like a piece of cake under a skinny kids chair.

basspro05
500 Club

Unread postby basspro05 » Thu Dec 03, 2020 1:09 pm

To each their own...I try to shed the best light on the animal I can. Because I do have a ton of respect for whitetail deer. I think the ones I dislike the most are the selfies where they make the buck look like he’s smiling with his tongue out sideways....

This is like every other social media fad...oh so and so recorded themselves doing this stupid dance or challenge...I better do it and one up them...

Just not my thing, not how I’d portray my kills. But not mad if that’s what you want to do.
blackwidow
500 Club

Unread postby blackwidow » Thu Dec 03, 2020 1:31 pm

To each their own, but the selfie isn’t for me. I think they look stupid, but that’s just my own opinion. I generally don’t share a whole lot of pictures with me in them. It’s not about me anyways. The old saying of a picture being worth a thousand words is accurate in my opinion, and I like good pictures because they can tell a story.

The absolute worst is the guys that use the deer as a prop for their products. It’s downright shameful what people have done to try and monetize and exploit hunting. Once again, just my opinion, but I try to have a little more respect for our quarry.
Swamp Stache

Unread postby Swamp Stache » Thu Dec 03, 2020 1:54 pm

Not a fan of them but can't say I see it as disrespectful. I view them about the same as when someone is sitting on their buck to take pics.
It only takes 15 seconds for the hunt of a lifetime.
UntouchableNess
500 Club

Unread postby UntouchableNess » Thu Dec 03, 2020 2:54 pm

I had an archery tom turkey double one day, called in 4 and only 2 walked away. Being alone, I propped the camera up to take some pics. In one, I assumed the "Tebow" position. Knew at the time it was probably in poor taste, figured I would have to be careful who I shared it with.

I'm sure I've had a few deer pics that weren't in perfect taste for public consumption, I don't recall ever taking a selfie with one. I did see a guy lay down next to a buck this year as a "yard stick" to show how long the deer was, stated his height for comparison. Kinda made sense.
Ranger12
500 Club

Unread postby Ranger12 » Thu Dec 03, 2020 4:09 pm

Dan has taken a lot of selfies with his bucks.... sooo disrespectful... he even videos it.... oh the madness! looks stupid too...

This thread is absolutely ridiculous and shows people’s true colors and sensitivities..
swampyak
500 Club

Unread postby swampyak » Thu Dec 03, 2020 4:32 pm

Didn't read through the whole thread, but here is an example of why a selfie was taken with a deer.
My second oldest decided he wanted to bow thing this year. He shot his first archery deer and wanted a pic with it. His old hand me down phone barely can take a pic. The only easy way is a selfie, so that's what he took
Lockdown

Unread postby Lockdown » Thu Dec 03, 2020 5:27 pm

Ranger12 wrote:This year I shot a hefty buck 1.25 miles back across two islands and into a swamp. I was by myself. There was absolutely no way to get it out with out quartering it and packing it out. would a picture of meat and deer head on a tailgate, without me in it, been any more tasteful and respectful to you? Don’t think so. I have no one to take a picture of my trophy but myself. And I respect the whitetail more than a lot of people, so I for damn sure want a picture of the animal I worked so hard to get. My family wants the pics too. It’s a absolutely cherished moment to find that deer. Selfie it is. Or I hike back out, to get someone to go back in, to snap a pic of me holding it. Worth it? Not at all.

If your worried about the “look” in what must be anti hunters eyes, then you are clearly letting them get in your head, which must be miserable, and definitely letting them win the battle.

Do you. Be you. Enjoy yourself. And take everything in during that cherished moment of when you find that animal. Even if it requires to take a pic... because in a instant. It will just become another memory.

I don’t think the selfie itself is the issue. (At least it’s not for me.) Why lay down by it? Maybe just kneel next to the buck and grab the horn. :shifty: laying down doesn’t make your arms longer and give you a better pic lol

As far as taking pics alone, there’s an easy solution to that. SELF TIMER. I’ve done it many times. I did it with digital cameras and I do it with my phone too.
ckprax

Unread postby ckprax » Thu Dec 03, 2020 5:31 pm

Big difference between these...
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Lockdown

Unread postby Lockdown » Thu Dec 03, 2020 5:34 pm

ckprax wrote:Big difference between these...

Exactly. This is what I was pointing out in my previous comment.
Lockdown

Unread postby Lockdown » Thu Dec 03, 2020 5:41 pm

Another self timer pic. Biggest regret was forgetting to tuck his tongue in. I don’t view the blood as a huge deal but I “always” tuck in the tongue.

If the grass is tall I drag it to a more manageable spot or stomp the grass down. Doesn’t take long.

I have also bunched a jacket up on a branch and made a spot to hold my phone at the proper angle. I can remember screwing a tree step and a bow holder close together to make a little platform for my camera.

Where there’s a will there’s a way. The above pic with my mulie I propped my meat pack up with my shooting sticks and set my phone on that. Worked good.
tim
500 Club

Unread postby tim » Thu Dec 03, 2020 7:00 pm

There will always be someone offended by something and that’s ok too
—too bloody
—tongue out
—-in a truck/trunk
——hung by legs/hung by neck
—-selfie
—-sitting on deer
——pimping products
—-already gutted
—-long arming
Etc......
I guess at the end of the day we are always our own worst enemies in the hunting community at times . I haven’t posted a pic on here in close to 10!years and this is just one of the reasons. I don’t put my pics on social media either. Are some of my pics like any on my list yup. I hunt alone and sometimes a selfie is as good as it gets. Might not be like the ones laying head to head with the deer lol but who am I to judge, pry just someone trying to be funny. I’ve hung deer both ways , don’t wipe blood off or cater to the antics for MY pics . There’s pics in trucks there’s pics in trunks I have even layed next to deer on occasion for pics for reference of my body weight to show a friend the size comparison especially if I don’t have a scale and no way of weighing. Tongue has been hanging out in many pics sometimes I push it in and it falls back out and I really don’t care to be honest......I try to keep my eyes on my goals .
Rob loper
500 Club
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/heBuckPsych/

Unread postby Rob loper » Thu Dec 03, 2020 11:57 pm

tim wrote:There will always be someone offended by something and that’s ok too
—too bloody
—tongue out
—-in a truck/trunk
——hung by legs/hung by neck
—-selfie
—-sitting on deer
——pimping products
—-already gutted
—-long arming
Etc......
I guess at the end of the day we are always our own worst enemies in the hunting community at times . I haven’t posted a pic on here in close to 10!years and this is just one of the reasons. I don’t put my pics on social media either. Are some of my pics like any on my list yup. I hunt alone and sometimes a selfie is as good as it gets. Might not be like the ones laying head to head with the deer lol but who am I to judge, pry just someone trying to be funny. I’ve hung deer both ways , don’t wipe blood off or cater to the antics for MY pics . There’s pics in trucks there’s pics in trunks I have even layed next to deer on occasion for pics for reference of my body weight to show a friend the size comparison especially if I don’t have a scale and no way of weighing. Tongue has been hanging out in many pics sometimes I push it in and it falls back out and I really don’t care to be honest......I try to keep my eyes on my goals .

I agree tim 100%.
Some people just get the old panties in a bunch for the smallest things.
I myself most likely do a selfie death pic but.
Who the am i to place judgement.
I usually just scroll by something i dont like unless its something posted like those two boys last year really abusing or making an animal suffer.
Its really all you can do without starting a show with someone. Example. Dewey and the other guys disagreement posts earlier. ( love both of you guys )
take no offense.
I will say one thing i will call out bs if i know its bs.
Very quickly too.
I do alot of that or used to on trash book.
may21581
500 Club

Unread postby may21581 » Fri Dec 04, 2020 12:40 am

Lockdown wrote:
Ranger12 wrote:This year I shot a hefty buck 1.25 miles back across two islands and into a swamp. I was by myself. There was absolutely no way to get it out with out quartering it and packing it out. would a picture of meat and deer head on a tailgate, without me in it, been any more tasteful and respectful to you? Don’t think so. I have no one to take a picture of my trophy but myself. And I respect the whitetail more than a lot of people, so I for damn sure want a picture of the animal I worked so hard to get. My family wants the pics too. It’s a absolutely cherished moment to find that deer. Selfie it is. Or I hike back out, to get someone to go back in, to snap a pic of me holding it. Worth it? Not at all.

If your worried about the “look” in what must be anti hunters eyes, then you are clearly letting them get in your head, which must be miserable, and definitely letting them win the battle.

Do you. Be you. Enjoy yourself. And take everything in during that cherished moment of when you find that animal. Even if it requires to take a pic... because in a instant. It will just become another memory.

I don’t think the selfie itself is the issue. (At least it’s not for me.) Why lay down by it? Maybe just kneel next to the buck and grab the horn. :shifty: laying down doesn’t make your arms longer and give you a better pic lol

As far as taking pics alone, there’s an easy solution to that. SELF TIMER. I’ve done it many times. I did it with digital cameras and I do it with my phone too.

Excellent point and spot on!
"Failure is the price for entry for achieving something great"
may21581
500 Club

Unread postby may21581 » Fri Dec 04, 2020 1:06 am

Jackson Marsh wrote:
may21581 wrote:The poses with them pulling the ears down to get the rack to look bigger really irritates me! Selfies and deer hunting is just a new low. And respecting the life you took should be done in a more honorable way.

I'm not seeing how Crazinamatese's picture is disrespectful to the buck....maybe if he was humping it

Well we will just have to settle for ear nibbling at this point. What would be more entertaining would be if someone got over excited and laid down for the pose not knowing if the deer was dead and the thing bit them in the face! Now that would be something to talk about. Imagine having to tell people how you got that scar!
"Failure is the price for entry for achieving something great"

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”