walking the green mile 2020 knowing when your beaten

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
Jonny
500 Club

Re: walking the green mile 2020 knowing when your beaten

Unread postby Jonny » Thu Dec 03, 2020 6:49 am

I had a buddy tell me as a joke that when the going gets tough, lower your expectations. I laughed about it but it kept popping up in my head. Now when I think of it, I use it to remind me that I should set realistic goals based on the cards I've been dealt. A good poker player can win with bad cards, but a bad one can ruin the best hands. I haven't been dealt bad cards because I live in wisconsin, but I know elsewhere might have better hunting.

But when hunting gets tough, I remind myself why I fell in love with it, and its not the antlers on the wall. Its a journey and an end goal. And sometimes the best journeys have the smallest antlers or none at all. Just gotta find the best in the situation. Not saying kill a deer for the sake of killing a deer, but for me, sometimes that is all I need to restart that fire. I also love venison in all shapes and sizes which helps.

Often times I need to remind myself to set realistic goals. My biggest goal this year was to shoot a deer on new public away from the county forest I grew up hunting. Ended up shooting my best buck doing that, and I would have felt great about accomplishing that goal even shooting a doe. Sometimes my goal is to shoot any deer. Or something 2.5 or older. But its always something that takes me a little outside my comfort zone and forces me to grow, but not too far of a stretch where I'm setting myself up to fail. Might need to look at where you hunt and decide if it really holds what you are after. If it doesn't, either go to an area or state where it does hold what you want, or adjust your goals. But if you are holding out for something that doesn't exist, that's just wasting precious time.

Plenty of guys have moved for hunting, and plenty have limited themselves to the cards in their hand. One hunter ain't better than the other.

You have a monkey Mr. Munson?
dannyboy

Unread postby dannyboy » Thu Dec 03, 2020 8:48 am

BuckPsych I'm having the same kind of season. I live in Alabama and the Rut doesn't crank up till January. I'm still trying to be positive knowing that after the first couple of weeks of bow season, the rut produces 90% of mature bucks here. I put a lot of time, effort, and money into it and just not getting any results up to this point. Getting old doesn't help either but I'm not ready to throw in the towel yet lol
mipubbucks24
500 Club

Unread postby mipubbucks24 » Thu Dec 03, 2020 8:56 am

Jonny wrote:I had a buddy tell me as a joke that when the going gets tough, lower your expectations. I laughed about it but it kept popping up in my head. Now when I think of it, I use it to remind me that I should set realistic goals based on the cards I've been dealt. A good poker player can win with bad cards, but a bad one can ruin the best hands. I haven't been dealt bad cards because I live in wisconsin, but I know elsewhere might have better hunting.

But when hunting gets tough, I remind myself why I fell in love with it, and its not the antlers on the wall. Its a journey and an end goal. And sometimes the best journeys have the smallest antlers or none at all. Just gotta find the best in the situation. Not saying kill a deer for the sake of killing a deer, but for me, sometimes that is all I need to restart that fire. I also love venison in all shapes and sizes which helps.

Often times I need to remind myself to set realistic goals. My biggest goal this year was to shoot a deer on new public away from the county forest I grew up hunting. Ended up shooting my best buck doing that, and I would have felt great about accomplishing that goal even shooting a doe. Sometimes my goal is to shoot any deer. Or something 2.5 or older. But its always something that takes me a little outside my comfort zone and forces me to grow, but not too far of a stretch where I'm setting myself up to fail. Might need to look at where you hunt and decide if it really holds what you are after. If it doesn't, either go to an area or state where it does hold what you want, or adjust your goals. But if you are holding out for something that doesn't exist, that's just wasting precious time.

Plenty of guys have moved for hunting, and plenty have limited themselves to the cards in their hand. One hunter ain't better than the other.

:clap: Great perspective and spot on
Rob loper
500 Club
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/heBuckPsych/

Unread postby Rob loper » Thu Dec 03, 2020 9:52 am

Jonny wrote:I had a buddy tell me as a joke that when the going gets tough, lower your expectations. I laughed about it but it kept popping up in my head. Now when I think of it, I use it to remind me that I should set realistic goals based on the cards I've been dealt. A good poker player can win with bad cards, but a bad one can ruin the best hands. I haven't been dealt bad cards because I live in wisconsin, but I know elsewhere might have better hunting.

Pretty good point johnny. Gotta get a deer in front of me before i can even consider if to shoot or not.
I eat tag soup every year. Im be honest im only out there for older deer. Might sound arrogant or cocky but thats just me.
Im not gonna shoot a 2.5 buck or even a 3 year old.
I will shoot a big old doe b4 that.
My Reasoning is just this.
i love red meat but i cant eat it im not supposed to have much.
Venison ? my wife or kids wont eat it nor i myself could never eat a whole deer myself. My friends all help nor i could donate it but as far as i know and have been told
the inmates get it at a certain prison not the needy.
So thats my dilemma.
Im gonna be super honest and im probably gonna end up with no weapon in the next few years and just have a camera. I love and want to get into wildlife photography.
jkelley1487

Unread postby jkelley1487 » Thu Dec 03, 2020 6:42 pm

Crazinamatese wrote:
oldrank wrote:Countering the new public land hunters. Everyone has a saddle everyone has a LWCG stand or Beast sticks.....

In Wisconsin almost every hunter I see on public is using a crossbow since it became legal not to long ago for anyone to hunt with them. Seems like people just don’t want to learn how to shoot a bow. Not judging anyone but I believe its a fair assessment.

This topic brings me back to the discussions about luck vs. actual skill. I know a few guys who don’t step a foot into the woods at all outside of hunting season and somehow every year they kill a monster. Versus some guys and gals who track deer down all year and never put down their target animals. I am somewhere in between those two scenarios. Where I put in a little bit of scouting and not end up burning myself out or end up creating unrealistic expectations.

I found my niche in in-season scouting and getting after fresh sign and that has increased my success and big buck encounters. I think you just gotta find your niche and go with it. Maybe a “smarter not harder” approach... Outside the box tactics, creating your own set of skills, etc. . Also, never compare yourself to others. Thats one thing that can kill a man’s confidence. I don’t dwell on what other guys and gals are doing. I focus on my own mission. I careless about what other hunters are killing. Might seem selfish but for me that works. 8-)

Really good posts. I found myself relating to that as well.
Sparkey

Unread postby Sparkey » Fri Dec 04, 2020 3:00 am

oldrank wrote:Everyone thinks they are a public land hunter these days. Watch a couple videos n kill big bucks right? Nope. What I see now is everything is changing. Marshes n swamps were pretty much ignored 10 years ago. I tried getting in on a little swamp with my cousin last weekend. From my vantage point I counted 5 other hunters and almost no fresh sign.

We continued on to some alternate cover and terrain, hit hot sign and my cousin was able to knock down his first public land buck the next morning.

I was going to post a thread about the Anti-Beast tactics. Countering the new public land hunters. Everyone has a saddle everyone has a LWCG stand or Beast sticks.....thats great but doesn’t put antlers on the wall. The number one tactic for hunting small public land parcels will always be....figure out the people first.

Good luck man. I have been where you are. Just keep at it. Odds will catch up with you. I usually have streaks of great seasons after bad seasons.

I also am about to eat tag soup again..as i cut 50 yards into a bedding thicket on the last day of rifle does didnt come out til 15 mins before legal shooting ends i thlught to myself well there goes my chance of plinking one in some thickness.. then i thought wait i could just use i crossbow. So as i am just starting to really get into stand hunting and archery can someone please tell me the advantage of archery besides the satisfaction of being more skilled at something? Ne lp of mi..Ok i have the woods to myself now and im trying to get my first bow kill but....can you elaborate on alternate terrain? They say the deer run into the marsh from pressure but when its starting to freeze and the marsh is pressured surely they wont be in the open wood hills? Im starting to really notice those little patches of thickness close to roads for the first time
Jonny
500 Club

Unread postby Jonny » Fri Dec 04, 2020 5:39 am

TheBuckPsych wrote:

Pretty good point johnny. Gotta get a deer in front of me before i can even consider if to shoot or not.
I eat tag soup every year. Im be honest im only out there for older deer. Might sound arrogant or cocky but thats just me.
Venison ? my wife or kids wont eat it nor i myself could never eat a whole deer myself. My friends all help nor i could donate it but as far as i know and have been told
So thats my dilemma.
Im gonna be super honest and im probably gonna end up with no weapon in the next few years and just have a camera. I love and want to get into wildlife photography.

I think the biggest question I have is do the bucks you target actually exist on public land in daylight? I know guys who waste seasons holding out for deer that simply do not exist. If I said I'm only going to shoot a certain antler size, lets say 150". In the county forest I hunt, I'd have to scour all 120,000 acres and maybe I'll find 2-3 a year to hunt. Or I might find none. Age specificially, I have big enough tracts that I know older deer exist. But where I shot my buck this year, its only 400ish acres. I'm 95% certain that I shot the oldest deer on that piece, aside from maybe one or two walking through once during the rut. Just talking to a guy or two that hunt/have hunted it, they just don't have anything older on cameras or seen for years. Didn't even know about my buck. So if I wanted something older than 3.5, I would have thrown my season away because that animal just doesn't exist.

So for your area and it being smaller tracts. Does your target exist? Or does it only exist for short periods during the rut? Because if you are setting goals for bucks that don't exist or might only walk through a piece of public one time, you are really setting yourself up to fail. So that would be my biggest question. Not to sound like a jerk but one easy way to lose interest in hunting is to set yourself up for failure. I know plenty of guys who shot a huge one their first year, struggled a bit, and now have no desire to hunt again. Guys I know who love it the most, grinded from day one and that first kill set themselves up for always craving the challenge and reward.

I'd research different meat donation programs but donating meet helps out no matter who it goes to. Even going to the prison systems, it cuts down costs that we taxpayers pay for
Jonny
500 Club

Unread postby Jonny » Fri Dec 04, 2020 6:05 am

Crazinamatese wrote:
oldrank wrote:Countering the new public land hunters. Everyone has a saddle everyone has a LWCG stand or Beast sticks.....

In Wisconsin almost every hunter I see on public is using a crossbow since it became legal not to long ago for anyone to hunt with them. Seems like people just don’t want to learn how to shoot a bow. Not judging anyone but I believe its a fair assessment.

This topic brings me back to the discussions about luck vs. actual skill. I know a few guys who don’t step a foot into the woods at all outside of hunting season and somehow every year they kill a monster. Versus some guys and gals who track deer down all year and never put down their target animals. I am somewhere in between those two scenarios. Where I put in a little bit of scouting and not end up burning myself out or end up creating unrealistic expectations.

I found my niche in in-season scouting and getting after fresh sign and that has increased my success and big buck encounters. I think you just gotta find your niche and go with it. Maybe a “smarter not harder” approach... Outside the box tactics, creating your own set of skills, etc. . Also, never compare yourself to others. Thats one thing that can kill a man’s confidence. I don’t dwell on what other guys and gals are doing. I focus on my own mission. I careless about what other hunters are killing. Might seem selfish but for me that works. 8-)

Based on prices of new vs new, a crossbow is generally a lot cheaper (unless you get into the Ravin and other high end model prices). But for someone new to hunting, crossbows are actually a cheaper option just to get started. Really funny when they quote price on that decision but walk around in $5k worth of camo and drive a $60k truck but who am I to judge

I know a couple guys who use crossbows for health reasons. My dad is one of them. Torn labrum in his shoulder and had open heart surgery last august. Other guys use them because they require a lot less practice than compounds. Which also require a lot less practice than traditional longbows and recurves. I really don't care what people use and don't care if others don't like what I use, just stick within whats legal and enjoy hunting. I've quit talking to people (and family members actually) because they can't handle others doing something they don't agree with. They sit and pout and now I don't talk outdoors with them. Actually I rarely talk hunting with any family members

Satisfaction always lies within. If you are having fun and enjoying the sport (legally), then I'm happy for you. If you sit in the corner and pout because someone else is doing something you don't like or is doing better than you, well that's your own problem. End of the day you always need to consider yourself and make yourself happy. Otherwise you will lose interest.

Good post Crazi
Rob loper
500 Club

Unread postby Rob loper » Fri Dec 04, 2020 9:39 am

Jonny wrote:
TheBuckPsych wrote:

So thats my dilemma.

I think the biggest question I have is do the bucks you target actually exist on public land in daylight? I know guys who waste seasons holding out for deer that simply do not exist. If I said I'm only going to shoot a certain antler size, lets say 150". In the county forest I hunt, I'd have to scour all 120,000 acres and maybe I'll find 2-3 a year to hunt. Or I might find none. Age specificially, I have big enough tracts that I know older deer exist. But where I shot my buck this year, its only 400ish acres. I'm 95% certain that I shot the oldest deer on that piece, aside from maybe one or two walking through once during the rut. Just talking to a guy or two that hunt/have hunted it, they just don't have anything older on cameras or seen for years. Didn't even know about my buck. So if I wanted something older than 3.5, I would have thrown my season away because that animal just doesn't exist.

So for your area and it being smaller tracts. Does your target exist? Or does it only exist for short periods during the rut? Because if you are setting goals for bucks that don't exist or might only walk through a piece of public one time, you are really setting yourself up to fail. So that would be my biggest question. Not to sound like a jerk but one easy way to lose interest in hunting is to set yourself up for failure. I know plenty of guys who shot a huge one their first year, struggled a bit, and now have no desire to hunt again. Guys I know who love it the most, grinded from day one and that first kill set themselves up for always craving the challenge and reward.

I'd research different meat donation programs but donating meet helps out no matter who it goes to. Even going to the prison systems, it cuts down costs that we taxpayers pay for

I get it johnny i know they are there. I know what to look for. Got pics, tracks , when it comes to mature buck sign you name it i got it lol. In several different areas i hunt.
I think your taking what im saying a bit wrong please i mean no offense i kinda figured someone would.
I dont set unachievabke goals like i did when i was 20. Im 46 i know better. Thats noob kiddie . Lol
Its hard yet so easy to judge word written but also even easier to read wrong. Ive done my research on donating and other means to give. I gotta just find someone to take it. If i did id have probably tagged out.
But as i said i dont care about eating tag soup.
This isnt my first rodeo and sure and not the last.
Its all good man. Thnks for the tips man.
Stay safe and aim small.
Boogieman1
500 Club

Unread postby Boogieman1 » Fri Dec 04, 2020 1:13 pm

I realize everyone is different. But I recall a post u made about having kids in youth sports. Would you advise them when the going gets tough to lay down and accept defeat? Or maybe we should sign u up in a softer league elsewhere so you can shine?

I’ve missed 2 bucks in the last few weeks I could have hit with spit! My current mindset is I’m due cause nobody misses 3 times in a row. :lol: I won’t ever kill a 200” buck and I’m content with that. But I measure myself against the locals and if I can out do them in a lengthy gun state with a stick bow I feel pretty dang good regardless of size. Has always been my experience most traveling folks shoot something a local wouldn’t. So what’s the diff imo? What will a young 120” Iowa buck do for ya that a 100” wouldn’t on your home court? All places are not equal I get that but consistency on good for your area bucks is special. Imo searching for giants where they don’t exist is a lost cause. Shoot good bucks from the hand u r dealt and be happy is my motto.
Life is hard; It’s even harder if you are stupid.
-John Wayne-
sagDE

Unread postby sagDE » Fri Dec 04, 2020 1:18 pm

I’m also in Delaware. I hunt a very large tract in Kent county primarily. It’s been a tough year. I killed a doe early, hit a decent 8 in the shoulder, no penetration (recurve). And haven’t had many other opportunities. I did find a nice 6 dead in his bed, skull and bones. The amount of rain has had a huge Negative effect on my hunting and probably yours too.
justdirtyfun
500 Club

Unread postby justdirtyfun » Fri Dec 04, 2020 2:02 pm

Hello my name is Paul and I have a hunting problem.

It feels like I have found the right group to sit with.

Lately I can't figure if going all in for a kill is better than scouting to build year after year knowledge. Even when that knocks down the immediate success. Seeing new ground and expecting to find the holy grail has not produced a lot.
But I found the biggest buck rub in multiple years by doing this.
IMG_20201109_151229050.jpg

Keep hammering guys.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
You don't have to be the best, just do your best.
Huntress13
500 Club

Unread postby Huntress13 » Sat Dec 05, 2020 7:48 am

Crazinamatese wrote:

There is wisdom in this.
Twigs in my hair, don't care.
Rob loper
500 Club

Unread postby Rob loper » Sat Dec 05, 2020 11:35 am

Boogieman1 wrote:I realize everyone is different. But I recall a post u made about having kids in youth sports. Would you advise them when the going gets tough to lay down and accept defeat? Or maybe we should sign u up in a softer league elsewhere so you can shine?

I’ve missed 2 bucks in the last few weeks I could have hit with spit! My current mindset is I’m due cause nobody misses 3 times in a row. :lol: I won’t ever kill a 200” buck and I’m content with that. But I measure myself against the locals and if I can out do them in a lengthy gun state with a stick bow I feel pretty dang good regardless of size. Has always been my experience most traveling folks shoot something a local wouldn’t. So what’s the diff imo? What will a young 120” Iowa buck do for ya that a 100” wouldn’t on your home court? All places are not equal I get that but consistency on good for your area bucks is special. Imo searching for giants where they don’t exist is a lost cause. Shoot good bucks from the hand u r dealt and be happy is my motto.

I figured and was waiting for you chime in with a jab at sometime. Lol.
Maybe ill pm our boy see what his expertise is on the subject. Maybe we can sign up for one of his expert pro workshops. We can swing around under the canopy and watch his vast library of self made you tube videos lol.

I never really said I'm giving up. Maybe temporarily beaten.
If i did give up i wouldn't ask any advice or similar situations people may go through or may have.
My kids are alot different story than hunting deer.
And no i would never tell them anything like that.
As matter of fact ive been most of the year getting the oldest to shoot her first. I will say she is quite picky.
Rob loper
500 Club

Unread postby Rob loper » Sat Dec 05, 2020 11:36 am

sagDE wrote:I’m also in Delaware. I hunt a very large tract in Kent county primarily. It’s been a tough year. I killed a doe early, hit a decent 8 in the shoulder, no penetration (recurve). And haven’t had many other opportunities. I did find a nice 6 dead in his bed, skull and bones. The amount of rain has had a huge Negative effect on my hunting and probably yours too.

I agree bro and on top of a non existing acorn crop
Im in sussex man. We close
Pm me anytime

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”