Water Hole Buck

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

OUBrew

Water Hole Buck

Unread postby OUBrew » Sun Nov 29, 2020 5:10 am

Thoughts on hunting a 7 year old buck who continues to randomly hit a water hole on a S/SW wind...

I have had three encounters with my target buck out of the same water hole stand...two of them were past shooting hours when I was stuck in the stand because of deer all around me.

He is bedding within 150 yds down ridge of the water. The water is being hit by several doe groups.

Yesterday WSW wind he came in at 3:15p from the west. Long story short... a deer behind me I did not see busted me and the buck paused then bolted before I could even draw. I know he did not smell me but he blew as he ran.

I was going to make a move down the ridge if I could find his track to close the distance but now he came in from a new direction on the same wind...

Same wind today....what would you do?

E72
500 Club

Re: Water Hole Buck

Unread postby E72 » Mon Nov 30, 2020 1:38 am

You could try and if nothing shows , set a camera on it to see if he starts to come back to it . If a mature buck around here gets a clue your on him , it may be awhile before he shows up anywhere close to daylight . Good luck
OUBrew

Re: Water Hole Buck

Unread postby OUBrew » Mon Nov 30, 2020 2:26 am

E72 wrote:You could try and if nothing shows , set a camera on it to see if he starts to come back to it . If a mature buck around here gets a clue your on him , it may be awhile before he shows up anywhere close to daylight . Good luck

No show last night...I would have been shocked if he had come in again after what happened the day before. There is a camera there and I think I have zeroed in on his bedding area on SW and S winds. I'm going to let the area rest and wait for a snow to try and catch his track and find his bedroom. Thanks

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”