Deer cart, sled or packing out for long drags?

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
The Mediocre Hunter

Re: Deer cart, sled or packing out for long drags?

Unread postby The Mediocre Hunter » Mon Nov 30, 2020 9:48 am

SEMObowhunter wrote:I pack them out. All I come out with it meat and horns if there are any. My dragging days are over.

SEMO, how long does it take you to do all that out in the field? I'm seriously considering doing that since my last experience dragging was exhausting.lol. also my skinning and butchering times are awfully slow. I'm curious how proficient one has to be to make it worth to do most of the work out in the field. Also what pack are you running?

Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Mon Nov 30, 2020 9:51 am

I say have all options available at all times. I keep a cart, roll up deer sled and pack frame in my truck all season so I’m ready for anything. Sometimes it takes multiple options during the same recovery.
Jonny
500 Club

Unread postby Jonny » Mon Nov 30, 2020 10:50 am

Cart and sled are always with me in the truck or close by. Need to upgrade my cart though. My old sportsman guide cart somehow managed to cut itself in half, and throw itself in the dumpster. Amazing how it did that.

As I start venturing into more and more different venison recipes, the less I want to leave in the field. If I packed one out I’d take 95% of the animal and would take extra trips as needed. I just prefer to take care of the deer at my own pace in the comforts of my garage. Always feel rushed in the woods pulling one out.
You have a monkey Mr. Munson?
SEMObowhunter

Unread postby SEMObowhunter » Mon Nov 30, 2020 11:13 am

The Mediocre Hunter wrote:
SEMObowhunter wrote:I pack them out. All I come out with it meat and horns if there are any. My dragging days are over.

SEMO, how long does it take you to do all that out in the field? I'm seriously considering doing that since my last experience dragging was exhausting.lol. also my skinning and butchering times are awfully slow. I'm curious how proficient one has to be to make it worth to do most of the work out in the field. Also what pack are you running?

To put in perspective on time. My son killed a 4.5 year old 170-180 pounds dressed, during rifle season .86 miles in. We went to the truck, dropped the stands, grabbed my pack and went back. I split down the back and bone a ham, shoulder and back strap. Flop him over and do the other side. Last I split across the belly to let the innards fall enough to get the inside loins out. Last I took off the head. Walk in, deboned, walk out I was gone from the truck an hour and 15 minutes.

I have an Alice pack frame, straps, and waist belt with the shelf. Bought on Amazon for about $60. I buy the cheese cloth type game bags and drop them inside an army barracks bag. This is like a cloth drawstring laundry bag. In that bag I keep a ziploc of rubber gloves and a stone and butchers steel. I use the summit climber cinch straps to attach that bag to the frame along with some bungee cords. I can get two boned out deer in one trip with this setup. PM me if you want to discuss further.
The Mediocre Hunter

Unread postby The Mediocre Hunter » Mon Nov 30, 2020 11:49 am

SEMObowhunter wrote:
To put in perspective on time. My son killed a 4.5 year old 170-180 pounds dressed, during rifle season .86 miles in. We went to the truck, dropped the stands, grabbed my pack and went back. I split down the back and bone a ham, shoulder and back strap. Flop him over and do the other side. Last I split across the belly to let the innards fall enough to get the inside loins out. Last I took off the head. Walk in, deboned, walk out I was gone from the truck an hour and 15 minutes.

I have an Alice pack frame, straps, and waist belt with the shelf. Bought on Amazon for about $60. I buy the cheese cloth type game bags and drop them inside an army barracks bag. This is like a cloth drawstring laundry bag. In that bag I keep a ziploc of rubber gloves and a stone and butchers steel. I use the summit climber cinch straps to attach that bag to the frame along with some bungee cords. I can get two boned out deer in one trip with this setup. PM me if you want to discuss further.

Thank you for the reply. That's pretty fast. I'm going to look into that pack set up you're talking about, i have seen some for a ridiculous price that's why I had been holding out on them but i like the idea.
brancher147
500 Club

Unread postby brancher147 » Mon Nov 30, 2020 12:33 pm

Yep. If it’s legal to cut them up there is no reason to drag.
Some do. Some don't. I just might...
Bowonly

Unread postby Bowonly » Mon Nov 30, 2020 2:59 pm

Chuck B wrote:After hauling two bucks on same day out of marshy river bottoms and up a steep hill, I am interested in packing. Any good packs you packets recommend? Also, I do have molle straps on my Lone Wolf. Was just thinking of using this as well. Anyone just strap to their stand and use that as a pack?

Yes. I'm sure a dedicated pack frame is better but I like going in and coming out in one trip with the deer. The molle straps make it totally possible. Add 4 versa buttons to the outside edge of stand and your 2 cam buckle straps work well to secure the load.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Take someone hunting or fishing.
MrT
500 Club

Unread postby MrT » Mon Nov 30, 2020 3:35 pm

I've been researching frame packs recently. Looking for something I can just make one trip out of. But also something that's comfortable, can carry my stand, and goes up in the tree nicely with me. I'm leaning heavily towards the mystery ranch pintler.
Chuck B
500 Club

Unread postby Chuck B » Mon Nov 30, 2020 3:44 pm

Bowonly wrote:
Chuck B wrote:After hauling two bucks on same day out of marshy river bottoms and up a steep hill, I am interested in packing. Any good packs you packets recommend? Also, I do have molle straps on my Lone Wolf. Was just thinking of using this as well. Anyone just strap to their stand and use that as a pack?

Yes. I'm sure a dedicated pack frame is better but I like going in and coming out in one trip with the deer. The molle straps make it totally possible. Add 4 versa buttons to the outside edge of stand and your 2 cam buckle straps work well to secure the load.

Wow. Interesting idea to add the cam locks. Thanks. I may just try to do that. I am with you. One trip in/out sounds much more appealing to me.
If you aren't green and growing, you are ripe and rotting
mauser06
500 Club

Unread postby mauser06 » Mon Nov 30, 2020 4:40 pm

Man...I couldn't imagine putting a deer on my lone wolf+sticks+carrying my bow and usually atleast jacket or coat. That setup is heavy enough on its own even with waist belt and better straps. I considered it because it carries well....but adding 50-80 pounds...I bought a Slumberjack Rail Hauler.

I leave it in the truck with my "kill pack". Game bags, extra havalon blades, paracord, etc.

Depends on the situation....but I like to go back to the truck and drop my weapon and shed layers and such.

I haven't packed one yet. Hopefully this week I get the experience. I'm far from a butcher....I understand the concept. But it's gunna be quick. Probably going to just cut it all off the bone and throw it in the bags and when I get home, it'll get ground up.
Bowonly

Unread postby Bowonly » Tue Dec 01, 2020 2:08 am

mauser06 wrote:Man...I couldn't imagine putting a deer on my lone wolf+sticks+carrying my bow and usually atleast jacket or coat. That setup is heavy enough on its own even with waist belt and better straps. I considered it because it carries well....but adding 50-80 pounds..

Any more I feel the same way about dragging. Couldn't imagine dragging a whole deer and then discarding 50% to 60%of the weight i just hauled out.

My stand and stick set up is right at 20 lbs and for me that's a better scenario than 2 trips in and out. Everyone's situation is different, to each his own I guess.
Take someone hunting or fishing.
crankn101
500 Club

Unread postby crankn101 » Tue Dec 01, 2020 2:26 am

I pack out and I like to take two trips. One trip out is my treestand set up and the head and a rear quarter, then the final pack is the rest of the deer and its pretty quick and easy.
rfickes87
500 Club

Unread postby rfickes87 » Tue Dec 01, 2020 5:27 am

Everyone I see on here and on social media is using back packs to get their deer head and meat out. That's gotta be so heavy, that's gotta be 60-70+ pounds on your back? I just about killed myself trying to drag my buck out last year and that was with a cart 1100 yards uphill. I swore off ever dragging again and I'm prepared to pack out the meat this year (but still haven't killed one :shifty: ). I have my kid's sled in the back of the truck ready to go. I'm just going to debone the meat off the buck and cut the head off and throw everything in the sled and drag it out. I can't think of a simpler way to get a buck out of the woods. Also that saves you work once you get home too if you're like me and process your own meat. I looked into buying a good back pack but their so expense and the weight on your shoulders, meh I'll use my kid's sled. I like the idea mentioned above about taking sharpening equipment. I sharpened my knife again just for this but I didn't think to take that equipment with me in the field, I bet my Buck knife could get dull fairly quick by doing this.

Also, watch this video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nbnp82DWMCE&t=128s

Its Randy Newberg explaining how to cut out the meat. There's a lot of videos out there, I really found this helpful. He makes it look so easy.
"Pressure and Time. That's all it takes, really. Pressure, and time..."
Prairie Sasquatch
500 Club

Unread postby Prairie Sasquatch » Tue Dec 01, 2020 9:16 am

If you really want to cut weight on knives get the disposable blade knives. If you are going to do pack outs it’s not a bad idea to do some training. I’m 5 11 and walk around at 180 lbs. I hike around with my pack a lot with about 45 lbs and do a lot of rowing, squats lunges etc to keep my legs in shape year round.

I’m about maxed out with my pack at 70 lbs, my bow or rifle and a pair of binos walking out. Anything more than that just gets really uncomfortable after a few miles.
1STRANGEWILDERNESS
500 Club

Unread postby 1STRANGEWILDERNESS » Tue Dec 01, 2020 9:52 am

I might tip the scale at 160.. generally if I shoot a deer beside doe they dress at 145-190. I can’t drag for crap. If it’s a few hundred yards I’ll make it happen. A mile? Miles? Not enough hours in a day for me to make it. On the other hand I can hike a mile in super nasty terrain and remain mostly unfazed. Packed my first deer out this year. It was awesome.

I don’t know what pack I got, a friend gave it to me but a lot of the weight comes down on your waste, or hips. It was very comfortable. It was very efficient.

I do wish I could’ve weighed the deer though. I couldn’t hardly budge him..
don’t be broadcasting when you should be tuning in

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”