Deer cart, sled or packing out for long drags?

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

johndeere506
500 Club

Deer cart, sled or packing out for long drags?

Unread postby johndeere506 » Sat Nov 28, 2020 3:32 pm

I hunt Michigan, Indiana and Ohio. Ive had some loooong drags. I always drag with brute force and just muster through it for hours. What the best method for far drags? In the swamps Ive read jet sleds are good. Havent tried it yet. What about roll up sleds (Deer Sleigh?) or carts with wheels for long drags with hills? My hills are smaller here but curious what hill country guys use also.

EllieTheChubb

Re: Deer cart, sled or packing out for long drags?

Unread postby EllieTheChubb » Sun Nov 29, 2020 1:58 am

I like jetsleds. The high front skips over limbs and downed trees instead of hanging up. I also like being able to step inside the pull rope and let it ride on my hips so I'm not tweaking my back by pulling from the side.
MichiganMike
500 Club

Unread postby MichiganMike » Sun Nov 29, 2020 2:54 am

Jet Sled is the way to go in swamps, marshes, and terrain that has decent snow cover. It'll glide right across. A cart's wheels will dig in and you'll have a heck if a time. In hills and high ground though that isn't soft- Deer cart is the ticket. I have the MeatWagon by Allen. works great. If you dont want to invest in a cart- Jet sled still works pretty good all around.
SEMObowhunter

Unread postby SEMObowhunter » Sun Nov 29, 2020 3:06 am

I pack them out. All I come out with it meat and horns if there are any. My dragging days are over.
Horizontal Hunter
500 Club

Unread postby Horizontal Hunter » Sun Nov 29, 2020 3:15 am

I keep both in the truck. They easily fit forward of the wheel humps so I still have plenty of room for storage.

Bob
Vegetarian: vejiˈte(ə)rēən/noun: old Indian word for lousy hunter. :o

Excalibur Exocet, GT Laser II, 2" Bhoning Blazers 125g NAP Spitfire
Autiger
500 Club

Unread postby Autiger » Sun Nov 29, 2020 4:07 am

I have a jet sled but it didn’t help much dragging through marsh grass and cattails when it was wider than the paths. It was a pull and rest, pull and rest affair. A smaller width sled is in my future
PredatoronthePrairie

Unread postby PredatoronthePrairie » Sun Nov 29, 2020 4:26 am

Depends on the location I'm hunting.

Driving up to them is nice when possible. That way I can keep the ribs in tact for the smoker.

But find I'd rather pack out these days. Takes me 2 trips, but way easier on the body to hike an extra mile or 2 than to drag the thing.
Crazinamatese

Unread postby Crazinamatese » Sun Nov 29, 2020 10:43 am

Depends on the terrain you are dragging out a deer. The private property I been hunting is wide open mixed hardwoods with barely any ground cover, rolling ridges and logging roads and the $60 Allen game cart has been phenomenal. Sled is a good option for marshy terrain. I pulled a deer out of stumpy marsh one season with a sled and many breaks were had but beats dragging a carcass across the mud and swamp nastiness.

I used one of the roll-up sleds last season and it worked well for one deer but after that, that thing was a total POS and found its way into a dumpster. Too many straps to deal with and since the sled is made to roll up I found myself fighting with it alot just somewhat to roll it out to get a carcass onto it. I gave it a chance and never again.
The cave you fear hides the treasure you seek!!!
Horizontal Hunter
500 Club

Unread postby Horizontal Hunter » Sun Nov 29, 2020 11:05 am

A few sled mods that you may find useful:

I added a paracord pull rope and handle of plastic EMT. I keep it wire tied up out of the way until I need it.

I added some paracord tie downs and I use a cargo rack bungee to “tie” the deer in. I use the same cargo rack bungee to secure deer to my cart.

Vegetarian: vejiˈte(ə)rēən/noun: old Indian word for lousy hunter. :o

Excalibur Exocet, GT Laser II, 2" Bhoning Blazers 125g NAP Spitfire
Bowtech1

Unread postby Bowtech1 » Mon Nov 30, 2020 1:47 am

Jet sled if you have a wide enough trail which most places you will. A deer sleighr or however it's spelled is great for tight areas and the 4 wd carts like the hawk crawler are great as long as your not going up hill. Uphill is way easier with a sled or sleighr. The carts just want to roll down hill. On super long walks packing out is way to go
mauser06
500 Club

Unread postby mauser06 » Mon Nov 30, 2020 3:40 am

I carry a cart, the roll up deer sleighr sled and a pack in the truck.

I almost always make the wrong decision lol.

The carts are great if you have hard enough ground and fairly flat. Sleds are sleds. You are pulling weight but they help with resistance.

Last year's buck was killed yards from a gravel trail. Cart was a no brainer. About a mile and could walk at normal pace.

This year....I forgot the sled. Took the cart. Awful decision. He didn't fit in my cart and sat very top heavy. Through the woods on the edge of a marsh. It was brutal. Ended up dragging..I'd go as far as I could and walk back and get the cart. Move it 30yds ahead and drag. I should have packed him out.

Unless I'm close to the truck and the drag or cart will be easy, I'm done solo dragging.

Just hesitant to pack them out as I've never done it. I don't think I will have issues...just "new"...mental block kinda thing.

Definitely gotta be prepared hunting solo...
Prairie Sasquatch
500 Club

Unread postby Prairie Sasquatch » Mon Nov 30, 2020 4:10 am

I’ve always packed out anything over about 350 yards. I can skin and quarter a deer back straps etc and get it in my pack in about 30-40 minutes. Dragging a deer is just brutal if you have any type of terrain or heavy cover.

If you are going to pack out get a good pack and set it up properly. You need one with a good waist strap to distribute the weight or it’s going suck.

Things you should have also:
Game bags
Sharp knife(s)
6’ square tarp to lay meat on
Bone saw - it’s nice to shorten up the leg bones by taking shank meat off the bone and sawing it shorter.
Moose
500 Club

Unread postby Moose » Mon Nov 30, 2020 4:50 am

I just got the hawk crawler game cart. Hopefully i can try it out late muzzleloader in a few weeks!
Chuck B
500 Club

Unread postby Chuck B » Mon Nov 30, 2020 5:28 am

After hauling two bucks on same day out of marshy river bottoms and up a steep hill, I am interested in packing. Any good packs you packets recommend? Also, I do have molle straps on my Lone Wolf. Was just thinking of using this as well. Anyone just strap to their stand and use that as a pack?
If you aren't green and growing, you are ripe and rotting
Chad Gus 715

Unread postby Chad Gus 715 » Mon Nov 30, 2020 5:35 am

I quarter and pack out anything i can't get a vehicle or atv within 100 yards.
equal opportunity hunter

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”