Happy thanksgiving!

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Happy thanksgiving!

Unread postby dan » Thu Nov 26, 2020 9:28 am

Gun season 1989 had me searching for a buck I hunted for the previous 2 bow and gun seasons. But that year was different, the addiction of the chase had taken a hold of me. I learned every bedding area in the area the buck lived and had found both his sheds in the bedding areas I scouted. The desire to conquer that buck was constantly on my mind.
The gun season plan was simple. look at each days wind direction and map out the possible bedding areas and sneak in on a crosswind ever so quiet till I either blew the hunt, or killed my buck. The plan looked great in my note book, and even better in my head, but solid plans start to deteriorate with time even when going as planned. A little hint of doubt was admittedly slipping in by Thursday (Thanksgiving day) even though I knew it could take all week.
I woke up early Thanksgiving day (31 years ago) with the echo of what Ma Infalt said to me:
"Hunt if you must, but be here, and be clean by noon"
Its interesting how some memories are as vivid as yesterday, while other things are long forgotten. I climbed a tree in pitch darkness over looking a bedding area within my targets area, but got down and started my progression still hunting into the bedding areas one at a time ever so slowly not wanting to blow my one chance, trying hard to believe in my plan despite doubts creeping in.
As the day progressed I looked at my watch (back in those days there were no cell phones and time was held on your wrist) it was 11am... I was close to the last bedding area in this section and contemplated being late for thanksgiving. I new Mom would mumble a little, but would soon forgive me if I was a little late, or maybe even still smelled like a swamp, and off I went to the last spot...
It was an interesting spot I found spring scouting where a thick patch of dogwood within a grassy over grown field filled a tight draw and grew around some old farm junk including a couple old cars. I remembered right where the beds were and how well it was set up. With the low population and lack of bucks in those days the rubs dotting the trails in and out let me know he used the bedding spot some of the time
If he was in there it was a good set up, enter from left he will bust to the right, and to thick to see... I decided to climb a small hill above the draw and throw rocks at an old car that was right in the bedding. I could see both exits from there. The second rock hit the car top squarely and the brush exploded. Out popped my dream buck tearing off for the woods.
In my excitement I fired rounds too quick and found myself pointing rather than aiming so I tried to concentrate on the last two shots, but only got one more off and the gun went click on the second... I had shot all 5 rounds. I watched the buck trot out of view and I hung my head and sat down for a second. All that work, all that planning, and I let a little bit of doubt slip in and ruin my concentration...
After a brief moment of shameful self pity, I stood up, gathered myself and decided to try and pick up a track in the sparce snow and follow him. Heck, I was already late, what would a little later hurt? As I scoured a patch of snow I saw a red speck. I looked up and the next patch was painted red, I trotted down the crimson trail, and there, right where I had lost sight of him lay my buck, shot thru the heart with that last bullet.
I went back and got my brother Bill who was already dressed nice and we went out and dragged that buck out all afternoon. And, well you guessed it, I went down for ruining yet another thanksgiving. Mom was upset, but proud to. She yelled at me with a smile.
Happy thanksgiving everybody!
What are you most thankful for? I am thankful for a loving wife, 3 great kids, two energetic grand kids, and for our health. I wish everyone a great day, great food, and great memories...
normal_img059.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

muddy

Re: Happy thanksgiving!

Unread postby muddy » Thu Nov 26, 2020 9:34 am

This has been a WEIRD year but I am so thankful for many MANY things. Kids doing well with online school. Health for all close /immediate family members. A roof and walls with heat in between. Setting/attaining person goals.

I say it a lot... "it could be A LOT worse"

Also thankful for my big buck. :D.

Cheers and Happy Thanksgiving from Iowa.
http://www.iowawhitetail.com
Leading the way for habitat and management information

"It's a good thing you don't need commas and colons to kill deer" -seaz
greenhorndave
500 Club

Unread postby greenhorndave » Thu Nov 26, 2020 10:09 am

Happy Thanksgiving!

Thankful for family and friends and the ability to chase deer... and hopefully knock down a good one.
----------
Sometimes when things get tough, weird or both, you just need to remember this...
https://youtu.be/d4tSE2w53ts
hunting_dad
500 Club

Unread postby hunting_dad » Thu Nov 26, 2020 10:18 am

Happy Thanksgiving!

Thankful for my awesome family, a warm cozy house, and living in a country where we get to chase these whitetails
Wihunter95

Unread postby Wihunter95 » Thu Nov 26, 2020 10:58 am

Happy Thanksgiving! I'm thankful for everything God has blessed me with. Roof over my head, food on the table, loving family. Everyone stay safe and eat well!
Woodsy211
500 Club

Unread postby Woodsy211 » Thu Nov 26, 2020 12:56 pm

Happy thanksgiving everybody, but damn that’s a good story Dan! Helluva deer! That’s what it’s all about, good friends, family, and deer hunting!
Uncle Lou

Unread postby Uncle Lou » Thu Nov 26, 2020 1:20 pm

Great story dan. Happy Thanksgiving to you and yours and the BEAST and theirs
Silence Your Gear with Stealth Strips®
http://www.stealthoutdoors.com
exojam

Unread postby exojam » Thu Nov 26, 2020 1:37 pm

Happy Thanksgiving everyone!

“I REFUSE to be locked DOWN”.
Ghost Hunter

Unread postby Ghost Hunter » Thu Nov 26, 2020 1:44 pm

exojam wrote:Happy Thanksgiving everyone!

“I REFUSE to be locked DOWN”.

Good hear from you.

Happy Thanksgiving everybody.
I'm reason they call it hunting and not shooting.
Mike32
500 Club

Unread postby Mike32 » Fri Nov 27, 2020 1:29 am

Happy Thanksgiving to everyone. So thankful for, my relationship with the Lord, and the life he has blessed me with!!
Hoyt RX7 bow, and exodus broadheads
Beast stand and beast sticks.
greenhorndave
500 Club

Unread postby greenhorndave » Fri Nov 27, 2020 3:49 am

Happy Thanksgiving y'all!
----------
Sometimes when things get tough, weird or both, you just need to remember this...
https://youtu.be/d4tSE2w53ts
Tennhunter3
500 Club

Unread postby Tennhunter3 » Fri Nov 27, 2020 4:02 am

Happy Thanksgiving everyone.
Never give up Freedom for imagined safety.
Edcyclopedia

Unread postby Edcyclopedia » Fri Nov 27, 2020 4:59 am

Back at Ya'll
Expect the Unexpected when you least Expect it...
stash59

Unread postby stash59 » Fri Nov 27, 2020 5:19 am

Gotta admit my head is in a weird place this morning! I'm sad that my mild sore throat is persisting. Which means I still may be contagious with C-19. So at least 1 more day of quarantine. Which means my battle with loneliness is getting tougher. I'm craving face to face human contact. And am going miss even the small gathering I was invited to.

But I am very thankful. I'm "not" all alone in some hospital. Hooked up to a ventilator, struggling to breath. Wondering if/when I will die. I'm thankful for all of my family and friends that have reached out and given me support. Through this minor but complicated ordeal. I'm thankful for my 2 good friends. That are going to bring me a plate of the Thanksgiving dinner they've prepared. And are sharing with me. But most of all! I'm thankful no one I had close contact with. Before my symptoms showed up, but I was actually contagious. Contracted C-19 because of me!

Happy Thanksgiving Beasts!!!!!!! :greetings-wavingyellow:
Happiness is a large gutpile!!!!!!!
RiverBottoms
500 Club

Unread postby RiverBottoms » Fri Nov 27, 2020 7:03 am

Happy Thanksgiving

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”