How long to recover from pressure

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Atimm693

How long to recover from pressure

Unread postby Atimm693 » Wed Nov 25, 2020 11:23 am

With rifle wrapping up in Missouri, and two unfilled buck tags, looks like I'll be doing some late season hunting.

I rent the house on a 390 acre parcel. The landowners live out of state and come down every fall to hunt for a couple weeks. I am free to hunt wherever when they are gone, and while they are here as long as we stay out of each others way.

I have a 1.5 acre plot of turnips that was getting pounded pretty hard. The landowners hunted it hard, and they are not careful about bumping deer on the way in or out. My trail cam photos have pretty much dwindled to nothing.

How long do you guys think it will take for these deer to start feeling comfortable again, or will they ever?

<DK>
500 Club

Re: How long to recover from pressure

Unread postby <DK> » Fri Nov 27, 2020 12:41 pm

Ha! Same here neighbor.

Our state is tough on deer during rifle. Im in the same boat. The only thing I know is iv had bucks on cam come back thru a week after rifle. Some middle of the night only. Unfortunately second youth season is this weekend. Maybe they will kick some deer back around.

I see a lot of really big bucks killed mid-late Dec. Obviously knowing your food sources is key and very difficult.

Good luck to you!
Rob loper
500 Club
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/heBuckPsych/

Unread postby Rob loper » Sat Nov 28, 2020 12:15 pm

In my opinion this is why in season scouting is important. Fresh tracks, scat glassing, , snd even spooking deer is gonna give a general idea of where thry are.
I would actually start looking in spots the owners ride or walk right by.
Might be in the most unobvious ridiculous spot on the property
I had a video last year of a farm my friend hunts. The property is pounded all season.
My friend walked into an out side abandon shed way behind the house. a slammer was laying in a stall. Buck got up a took off only later to return and bed in same spot for like 3 days.
Overlooked imho on private is probably the best spot to look. Overlooked on public is hit or miss. Depends on alot of variables
Boogieman1
500 Club

Unread postby Boogieman1 » Sat Nov 28, 2020 12:43 pm

Imo it’s all bout time of season. I don’t hunt in a bad cold weather state that forces run down rutted out bucks to feed in daylight in order to survive. Yes cold weather drains there calories in order to stay warm. If u got the food during this time the u got the bucks and with a smoke pole u can really do some damage.

If u got some phase of the rut going on I don’t really feel it matters. Wear the sucker out! There actively searching and not going back an forth like bed to food. A mature buck doesn’t do the same thing during the rut like other times of year. If they come across a doe that is close then they stay close. I don’t believe a mature buck during the rut goes 3 days without finding a doe and returns to the same spot outside of pre rut October b4 the bomb goes off. I don’t believe they have a clue where they will end up and I’ve never seen any evidence that they will do the same thing twice unless locked down with a hoochie mamma. Always been my opinion if not hunting down 1 particular buck during the rut then find a spot that swings the odds and wear that sucker out. If u didn’t jump the gun then it’s just a matter of time. If u don’t have the time then well... cross your fingers and pick any tactics u want imo.
Life is hard; It’s even harder if you are stupid.
-John Wayne-
mheichelbech
500 Club
Facebook: mheichelbech@gmail.com

Unread postby mheichelbech » Sat Nov 28, 2020 1:12 pm

Put up a couple cams around your food source and see if and when they are showing up. Cell can being your best of course.
"One of the chief attractions of the life of the wilderness is its rugged and stalwart democracy; there every man stands for what he actually is and can show himself to be." — Theodore Roosevelt, 1893
Usi05

Unread postby Usi05 » Sat Nov 28, 2020 3:41 pm

Took about 7 days last year in lower Michigan to see them moving back into normal areas but we had snow and cold weather. This year has been different.

Gotta through up more cams to watch more areas.
Atimm693

Unread postby Atimm693 » Sun Jan 03, 2021 4:05 am

Update.

I continued as planned, stayed out of the area, running through quickly with an ATV to check cameras once every 10 days or so. They started showing back up the first week of December, mostly at night but I was getting some daylight photos, mostly in the morning.

After another couple weeks, they were getting far more comfortable, often showing up in the plot by 3PM, staying for an hour or so, and moving on, sometimes stopping back through at night. Some photos had 8 or 10 deer in them, with a handful of nice bucks, including a 130s 10 pt, and a couple big 8s.

With muzzleloader opening, I did an observation sit on 12/26, I could not see the whole plot, but counted 9 deer that afternoon, and a couple nice bucks, but I was too far to ID them.

A cold front moved through on 12/28 and the wind switched, allowing me to sneak up a ditch and get in a tree without bumping anything. This plot is set up really close to a thick and nasty area, I've bumped some does before that were bedded on the periphery while setting up in the past. The tree that I had my eyes on happened to have a young cedar right next to it topping out at 12ft or so, giving the perfect amount of cover, with most of the plot well within muzzleloader range.

Does and fawns started showing almost immediately. By about 3PM, I watched a train of them coming from the far end of the plot with that big 10 point in tow. Unfortunately, there was a tree in the way of the area where they were feeding, while waiting for them to mosey around to the clear, a coyote came by in the timber, and they all bolted.

A short while later the does and minis started slipping back in. I didn't see the buck come back, he must have circled back through the timber, he just kind of appeared, feeding behind that same tree.

By this time it was starting to get late, there was a very small opening in the tree top that I could probably get a bullet through. Sure enough, he gradually made his way over. First facing me, then broadside. I put the crosshairs on him and let it rip. With the big cloud of smoke and tree limbs in the way, I couldn't see his reaction, but did hear the "smack" of the bullet hitting and the direction they went.

I called for help, and waited. Dropped the only bullet I had because I was shaking so badly. Climbed down and started looking. The only thing we could find was a dime sized drop of blood and tissue where he was standing. Nothing else. With daylight fading quickly, and not wanting to bump a potentially wounded buck, we decided to wait until morning.

We never did find a trail, but found him laying about 80 yards away dead as a stone. The shot was perfect, I'm sure he was dead before I climbed out of the tree.

I think I'm going to give it a couple more days and strike while the iron is hot, I still have a bow tag.

2020 buck.jpg

2020 buck 2.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
rhagenw
Facebook: Rhagen Wiederholt

Unread postby rhagenw » Sun Jan 03, 2021 6:08 am

Nice one fellow Missourian!
<DK>
500 Club

Unread postby <DK> » Mon Jan 04, 2021 1:42 am

Great deer man! Congrats
greenhorndave
500 Club

Unread postby greenhorndave » Mon Jan 04, 2021 3:00 am

Great buck and way to hang with it!
----------
Sometimes when things get tough, weird or both, you just need to remember this...
https://youtu.be/d4tSE2w53ts
phade
500 Club

Unread postby phade » Thu Jan 07, 2021 5:46 am

Congrats! What county are you in? I'm from NY but my hunting partner and I spent some time in Sullivan in November. Ended up with a good buck the last morning.
http://www.pursuitoutdoors.com
Trail Camera Sales, Industry Updates, and Cam Troubleshooting - PM for HB pricing
Atimm693

Unread postby Atimm693 » Thu Jan 07, 2021 11:21 am

phade wrote:Congrats! What county are you in? I'm from NY but my hunting partner and I spent some time in Sullivan in November. Ended up with a good buck the last morning.

Thanks

Pretty much right at the intersection of Polk, St. Clair, and Hickory, right in CWD territory. Population is way down this year.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”