Saddle hunters, how do you keep from sweating with layers?

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Thomasj1107

Saddle hunters, how do you keep from sweating with layers?

Unread postby Thomasj1107 » Wed Nov 25, 2020 9:08 am

I’m a heavy sweater. When it’s a little warmer I don’t really care if I sweat as much because I won’t get THAT cold... but when it’s November and pretty dang cold out there, how the heck do you manage the climbing and getting set up with your layers on without sweating like crazy?

SoILBowhunter

Re: Saddle hunters, how do you keep from sweating with layers?

Unread postby SoILBowhunter » Wed Nov 25, 2020 9:23 am

I have found that it works best for me to walk to the tree in my base layer, maybe a mid layer if it's cold enough. Take my time & go slow to stay cool & also be quiet & hunt my way in. When I get to the tree I will sometimes put my outer layer on at the base but I usually wait until I get setup on the platform to put the rest on after cooling off for a few minutes. Lower the saddle a bit & pull the bottom of my jacket under it. Just have to be slow & careful.

Seems like no matter how slow I go if I wear all my clothes while walking in & setting up I get way too hot.
vada

Unread postby vada » Wed Nov 25, 2020 9:50 am

I walk in without my top layers on. Just a hoodie. Dress at the bottom of the tree and go up. I take it slow the whole way in and going up the tree. I may keep my heaviest layer on my pack and put on mid hunt.
greenhorndave
500 Club

Unread postby greenhorndave » Wed Nov 25, 2020 10:02 am

There are two posts on this topic
----------
Sometimes when things get tough, weird or both, you just need to remember this...
https://youtu.be/d4tSE2w53ts
Thomasj1107

Unread postby Thomasj1107 » Wed Nov 25, 2020 10:23 am

Sorry, accidentally double posted
KRoss480

Unread postby KRoss480 » Wed Nov 25, 2020 10:52 am

Like others have said, walk in with just base layer top on and tie the other mid layer and jackets around my waist. Another thing that has helped me is leave the truck 15 mins earlier, gives you time to stop for a little break if you feel yourself starting to heat up.
True knowledge exists in knowing that you know nothing.
Grizzlyadam
500 Club

Unread postby Grizzlyadam » Wed Nov 25, 2020 11:19 am

Slow down.
PK_
500 Club

Unread postby PK_ » Wed Nov 25, 2020 11:24 am

Walk in in my undies. Throw everything else on after setup...

Insulated pants/bibs with full zip legs are helpful if your boots are tough to take off.
No Shortcuts. No Excuses. No Regrets.
Everybody's selling dreams. I'm too cheap to buy one.
Rich M wrote:Typically, hunting FL has been like getting a root canal
justdirtyfun
500 Club

Unread postby justdirtyfun » Wed Nov 25, 2020 3:30 pm

I find an evening hunt to be reasonable with one outer layer to add. Wait on hat and gloves till settled.
Warm from the hike and set, cool off till dark when it is starting to really get to you. Then, with teardown and hike out you add heat back.
You don't have to be the best, just do your best.
Thomasj1107

Unread postby Thomasj1107 » Wed Nov 25, 2020 5:28 pm

justdirtyfun wrote:I find an evening hunt to be reasonable with one outer layer to add. Wait on hat and gloves till settled.
Warm from the hike and set, cool off till dark when it is starting to really get to you. Then, with teardown and hike out you add heat back.

The mornings are the problem, not so much the evenings
d_rek

Unread postby d_rek » Thu Nov 26, 2020 6:54 am

Whether you're using a saddle or hang-on or climber the same is true for any style of hunt: Walk in wearing the lightest layers possible, pack in your heavier layers, and put them on at the tree.

If you're having trouble managing the bulk of heavier outer layers consider heated vest/jacket/pants. I was in camp with a guy using a heated vest and we were all wondering how he was staying so warm wearing the lighter layers he had on until he showed us the vest. I believe it was the Pneuma heated vest, but there are others out there.
"I don't know what the f*** this is but it's weird as f*** so i'm leaving."
-The Deep
Mossberg90MN

Unread postby Mossberg90MN » Thu Nov 26, 2020 7:18 pm

Yea you definitely don’t want to be layered up walking in. You will sweat and get cold real fast once your settled in.

I wear a mid weight Merino wool base layer top and bottom plus my standard pants and top. I bring in my pack my bibs and jacket as well as a vest and an extra pair of socks.

This is for long sits. Maybe you can skip the socks if it’s just a couple hours. I bring them in case my feet get cold. I also bring some hand warmers if it really that cold that day.

I change at the base of the tree once I’m done getting set up.
DeadHeadSpread

Unread postby DeadHeadSpread » Tue Dec 01, 2020 11:18 am

Agree with other posters about adding your top layers after you’re setup. Not bad while tethered in a saddle, just likely to drop something while orchestrating it then having to go down to retrieve dropped item. I found it easier at the base of the tree then climb slowly to not break a sweat. One thing to add, don’t wear anything on your head on the way in. Your body will shed a lot of heat out of your head and for me it seems like my whole body sweats less when my head is out in the cold air with nothing on it.
Big Tracks Matter
Brad
500 Club

Unread postby Brad » Thu Dec 03, 2020 2:28 pm

Same as some others have said. I walk in with base layers on, go slow, and rest for a few minutes at the bottom of the tree while getting stuff ready to climb. Put the layers on before climbing, and go slow and quiet while climbing.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”