Enticing a buck to change bedding location?

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

mheichelbech
500 Club
Facebook: mheichelbech@gmail.com

Enticing a buck to change bedding location?

Unread postby mheichelbech » Wed Nov 25, 2020 7:24 am

Has anyone ever had success in enticing a buck to change where he beds? I have a buck that beds on a property I don’t have permission on and he isn’t getting to where I can’t until dark most days.

"One of the chief attractions of the life of the wilderness is its rugged and stalwart democracy; there every man stands for what he actually is and can show himself to be." — Theodore Roosevelt, 1893
mipubbucks24
500 Club

Re: Enticing a buck to change bedding location?

Unread postby mipubbucks24 » Wed Nov 25, 2020 2:06 pm

how can you kick him out of his bedding area if you don’t have permission to go into his bedding area?
mheichelbech
500 Club

Unread postby mheichelbech » Wed Nov 25, 2020 2:52 pm

mipubbucks24 wrote:how can you kick him out of his bedding area if you don’t have permission to go into his bedding area?

I wasn’t talking about kicking him out. That’s why I said entice the buck. To make him want to stay on the place I hunt and he travels through instead of where he is current bedding 4-500 yards away.
"One of the chief attractions of the life of the wilderness is its rugged and stalwart democracy; there every man stands for what he actually is and can show himself to be." — Theodore Roosevelt, 1893
mipubbucks24
500 Club

Unread postby mipubbucks24 » Wed Nov 25, 2020 3:22 pm

mheichelbech wrote:
mipubbucks24 wrote:how can you kick him out of his bedding area if you don’t have permission to go into his bedding area?

I wasn’t talking about kicking him out. That’s why I said entice the buck. To make him want to stay on the place I hunt and he travels through instead of where he is current bedding 4-500 yards away.

Oh got ya, I guess the only answer to that is make a better bedding area for him, not sure how to go about that. Or do something to bring the doe bedding over so he stays over during the rut, not sure the answers but it’s an interesting idea. Probably depends on the buck also if he has a bullet proof set up he may not leave it, so I guess then you are just trying to get him to stay on your property longer, seems like late season food would be one way to accomplish that, just thinking out load but I’m sure there are guys that have done something similar.
mheichelbech
500 Club

Unread postby mheichelbech » Thu Nov 26, 2020 3:09 am

mipubbucks24 wrote:
mheichelbech wrote:

Oh got ya, I guess the only answer to that is make a better bedding area for him, not sure how to go about that. Or do something to bring the doe bedding over so he stays over during the rut, not sure the answers but it’s an interesting idea. Probably depends on the buck also if he has a bullet proof set up he may not leave it, so I guess then you are just trying to get him to stay on your property longer, seems like late season food would be one way to accomplish that, just thinking out load but I’m sure there are guys that have done something similar.

Thanks..and does do bed on it but he’s smart enough to cruise it nocturnally most of the time. I watched him stand in the middle of a cornfield with a super busy road 100 yards away just watching “my” woods right at dark before entering. Almost as if he was thinking I’m not going in there till dark. I did get him on camera on one “moon” day right at dark. The woods is small (but bigger than his bedding area) and next to a neighborhood so I think it gets a fair amount of pressure from kids wondering around and possibly trespassers that I haven’t been able to catch. It’s probably nearly impossible since I don’t have complete control of what goes on. Also due to coyotes, these deer totally avoid field edges of traveling parallel to one. They’d rather walk in the complete open middle of the field instead of the edges.
I thought putting in a couple cell cams and staying out would result in more bucks traveling through it but that hasn’t happened.

May try a small food plot next spring to give them something different.
Rich M
500 Club

Unread postby Rich M » Fri Nov 27, 2020 7:09 am

Sounds like there are some good reasons to avoid the woods there.

Maybe thin the coyotes a bit? Traps, snares?

Maybe figure how to hunt the fields instead of hunting the woods?

I had a spot to hunt, tons of deer sign along the inner edge of swamp. Turned out they were using a less obvious edge 100 further out. Never did get one there.
mheichelbech
500 Club

Unread postby mheichelbech » Fri Nov 27, 2020 12:26 pm

Rich M wrote:Sounds like there are some good reasons to avoid the woods there.

Maybe thin the coyotes a bit? Traps, snares?

Maybe figure how to hunt the fields instead of hunting the woods?

I had a spot to hunt, tons of deer sign along the inner edge of swamp. Turned out they were using a less obvious edge 100 further out. Never did get one there.

Definitely need some creativity of some kind. He did show on camera in daylight twice in the past 10 days I just found out. But nocturnal movement has been the rule for the most part. Of course it’s difficult to get those perfect days when the moon and a cold front come together due to weekday work obligations. And of course hunting thr woods too much leads to burnout. It’s like I’m damned if I do and damned if I don’t.
trob_205
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/robertstravisj

Unread postby trob_205 » Fri Nov 27, 2020 6:44 pm

If pressure is any part of the equation and there’s not any human intrusion specifically where he’s at, your only shots are knowing the does in your area during the rut or having the best late season food. That is if it’s a mature deer with an established “home range”. Historical data of that deer daylighting where you can hunt can be critical as well, but for me that’s typically when certain does are in heat anyway, so that could boil back down to knowing your does.
mheichelbech
500 Club

Unread postby mheichelbech » Sat Nov 28, 2020 3:22 am

trob_205 wrote:If pressure is any part of the equation and there’s not any human intrusion specifically where he’s at, your only shots are knowing the does in your area during the rut or having the best late season food. That is if it’s a mature deer with an established “home range”. Historical data of that deer daylighting where you can hunt can be critical as well, but for me that’s typically when certain does are in heat anyway, so that could boil back down to knowing your does.

I think you are right. I have pretty well figured out that the period between 11/10-11/20 is going to be my best time in that woods. Or course the big problem for me is then having the right wind and it being a weekend or just take off. He doesn’t show consistently in those periods but that is when he (and other mature bucks) show the most. Gonna keep at it. This place has been all heart break for me the last few years but I remain confident that I will shoot a big one there.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”