WI hunting license?

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Bowhunting Brian
500 Club

WI hunting license?

Unread postby Bowhunting Brian » Mon Nov 23, 2020 4:06 am

Can I use a doe authorization that I got with my archery license during gun season too? They don't say anything about weapon specific on them.

Country
500 Club

Re: WI hunting license?

Unread postby Country » Mon Nov 23, 2020 4:12 am

I dont think they are weapon specific.
strehb18

Unread postby strehb18 » Mon Nov 23, 2020 1:28 pm

The anterless tags themselves are not weapon specific. I don’t know the ruling on if you need a gun buck tag to gun hunt at all. I don’t think I’ve ever met anyone who only had an archery tag to verify with.
KRONIIK
500 Club

Unread postby KRONIIK » Mon Nov 23, 2020 1:48 pm

strehb18 wrote:The anterless tags themselves are not weapon specific. I don’t know the ruling on if you need a gun buck tag to gun hunt at all. I don’t think I’ve ever met anyone who only had an archery tag to verify with.

You do.
If you hold only an archery license, that license contains no provisions for you to hunt anything with a rifle or shotgun, ever.
Nor does a small game license, for instance, contain any provision to shoot any deer with a firearm, (even if you have received antlerless deer authorizations when you bought your archery license.)
Jmitch

Unread postby Jmitch » Tue Nov 24, 2020 2:14 am

Doe tags are not weapon specific. Buck tags are. You still need a firearm license to gun/muzzleloader hunt an archery to archery hunt even does. Gets a little tricky if you are archery hunting during gun season but I believe either license is valid. You can also shoot your gun buck with a bow as long as its during gun or muzzy season but you can not shoot an archery buck under any circumstances with a gun. Gets a little confusing but it is what it is
strehb18

Unread postby strehb18 » Tue Nov 24, 2020 4:53 am

KRONIIK wrote:
strehb18 wrote:The anterless tags themselves are not weapon specific. I don’t know the ruling on if you need a gun buck tag to gun hunt at all. I don’t think I’ve ever met anyone who only had an archery tag to verify with.

You do.
If you hold only an archery license, that license contains no provisions for you to hunt anything with a rifle or shotgun, ever.
Nor does a small game license, for instance, contain any provision to shoot any deer with a firearm, (even if you have received antlerless deer authorizations when you bought your archery license.)

Ya. Its hard for me to imagine a situation where someone would want to gun hunt and not get a buck license. That would weird, but I guess I never thought about someone just getting an Archery license and wanting to fill an anterless tag with the gun. Especially in areas where you get like 6 tags.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”