Do you lease?

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Do you lease?

Yes, I lease.
24%
No, I have never leased
24%
No, I have never leased and do not intend to
29%
I used to lease, but no longer do so.
6%
I have never leased, but would like to in the future.
18%
I am in between leases right now.
No votes

Total votes: 34
headgear
500 Club

Re: Do you lease?

Unread postby headgear » Wed Mar 02, 2011 9:44 am

Dewey wrote:I have never leased and don't plan to in the future.

The way I look at it there are over 6 million acres of public land in Wisconsin so I feel no need to pay any money to hunt. If you put in the hard work and scout the public land enough you will be surprised by the quality of deer on public land. I have found that every area holds at least one good buck if you put the time in to find them and if you research enough you can find unpressured areas that others do not hunt.

Same here Dewey, I have alwasy been a public land hunter and I am really starting to enjoy the challenge of finding and hunting the bucks vs wishing I had better land to hunt. I wasted a lot of years scouting and hunting the wrong stuff and wishing I had access to better land. There buck were there all along, just staging in the swamp a few hundred yards away or going the the other way when I had a "perfect wind" for my setup.

Bucky

Unread postby Bucky » Wed Mar 02, 2011 1:00 pm

muddy wrote:If giving the landowners a $50 gift certificate to a new restaurant counts, then technically I'm leasing! My shotgun buck cost me a $30 Stir Crazy corn popper so I did there as well!

You're not gonna like trying to get access around GB if you decide to move. Different animal in WI...
"When a hunter is in a tree stand with high moral values, with the proper hunting ethics and richer for the experience, that hunter is 20 feet closer to God." Fred Bear
U.P. MAN
500 Club

Unread postby U.P. MAN » Wed Mar 02, 2011 1:14 pm

comparing a lease to hunting with an outfitter is quite a statement i must say. I lease land in BC and am quite proud of it. Its a ton of fun,rewarding work. Water holes,mineral sites,hanging and moving stands,trail cams,food plots,it is along way from a "gimme" hunt. Just because you pay good money for a spot in a prime area really doesnt mean crap. If you dont work hard you wont be successful. the absolute "ultimate" accomplishment i feel is consistantly scoring on trophy public land animals,for sure but i dont feel less of a thrill hunting on my lease. Its not a good thing to plan a weekend hunt,drive the 7 hours only to find someone hunting in the spot you wanted to hunt. I very much enjoyed hunting public in iowa this past year,but was glad to have my lease also.
mossyoak

Unread postby mossyoak » Wed Mar 02, 2011 6:27 pm

U.P. MAN wrote:comparing a lease to hunting with an outfitter is quite a statement i must say. I lease land in BC and am quite proud of it. Its a ton of fun,rewarding work. Water holes,mineral sites,hanging and moving stands,trail cams,food plots,it is along way from a "gimme" hunt. Just because you pay good money for a spot in a prime area really doesnt mean crap. If you dont work hard you wont be successful. the absolute "ultimate" accomplishment i feel is consistantly scoring on trophy public land animals,for sure but i dont feel less of a thrill hunting on my lease. Its not a good thing to plan a weekend hunt,drive the 7 hours only to find someone hunting in the spot you wanted to hunt. I very much enjoyed hunting public in iowa this past year,but was glad to have my lease also.

X2 Couldnt agree more its hard to beat if you want to have the options to hunt more, opposed to a one shot deal with an outfitter.
DEERSLAYER
Super Moderator

Unread postby DEERSLAYER » Wed Mar 02, 2011 6:43 pm

muddy wrote:If giving the landowners a $50 gift certificate to a new restaurant counts, then technically I'm leasing! My shotgun buck cost me a $30 Stir Crazy corn popper so I did there as well!

Showing appreciation like that doesn't count. 8-) Showing it with a $1,000 gift certificate for the local John Deer dealer would be though. :)
You cannot invade mainland America. There would be a rifle behind every blade of grass.
Isoroku Yamamoto, Japanese Admiral
CatfishJack

Unread postby CatfishJack » Sat Mar 05, 2011 2:23 pm

I have not ever leased, but I used to work for a farmer for one full day to get hunting privileges. It paid off too the first couple years, as he wouldn't let anyone hunt before that. He was very tight with his money, and pretty soon other guys were working for permission to hunt and the land got grossly overcrowded with hunters. I just quit hunting his land-it rather disgusted me that he let that many guys hunt his land. I mostly hunt public, but here in SE Minnesota the public gets pounded so badly now that it has 30% of the deer population as private has. I make that assumption on having hunted public for 30 years, but also private at the same time.
UPbowhunter
Facebook: todd freeman

Unread postby UPbowhunter » Sat Mar 05, 2011 2:36 pm

have never and will never lease, I have some private, but just hand shake. Others also hunt it.
Go Go Epic Stuff, Seek Wilderness

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”