Whitetails in the northwest

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Whammond

Whitetails in the northwest

Unread postby Whammond » Fri Nov 20, 2020 4:56 pm

Hello everyone,
Lifelong hunter but relatively new to whitetails. I hunt public land in Washington state. Today marks the second season I failed to fill my tag. I have young kids and my time is pretty limited. I’ve done rifle the last 2 seasons but will probably do archery next year (pick your weapon state). There isn’t a whole lot out there about hunting this region that I’ve found. Most people I have seen either road hunt the extensive logging areas or hunt blinds on agricultural land. I don’t have any good private ground and I’m not a road hunter.
Are there members who hunt northeast wa, north Idaho or nw mt?
Does anyone have any good advice on locating bedding and feeding areas in this region? Deer could bed in probably 90% of the terrain and feed in almost as much. Most creeks and water sources have a road next to them.
If a thread for this topic already exists, send me there!

Thanks

stash59

Re: Whitetails in the northwest

Unread postby stash59 » Sat Nov 21, 2020 3:26 am

Used to live in the Helena, MT area. Worked a couple jobs up in the Eureka area. Never hunted there. But saw plenty of whitetails driving the area. Dan's Hill Country Bedding DVD would be a good place to start learning tactics. There's also an Appalachian Mountains thread on here. That should help with the bigger terrain features the western mountains consist of. I watched Larry D. Jones, on a State of Washington whitetail hunt a few years ago. He shared some good tips on it. But can't remember the details. Like elk, features like benches are key.
Happiness is a large gutpile!!!!!!!

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”