Bow hunting after the gun season

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Mossberg90MN

Bow hunting after the gun season

Unread postby Mossberg90MN » Fri Nov 20, 2020 10:53 am

Do you guys change your tactics on bow hunting after the gun season?

My gun season in Minnesota started pretty early, in a matter of fact muzzleloader will be kickin up this weekend.

Do you guys give the deer time to mellow out after gun season? Stop hunting? Or do you just keep on trucking.

I plan on still getting out there, but I’m thinking of giving them a little bit of time to mellow out before going back out. I feel like they’ve been busted well off the public or there not in the spots they were before gun season.

Thoughts?

MichiganMike
500 Club

Re: Bow hunting after the gun season

Unread postby MichiganMike » Fri Nov 20, 2020 12:34 pm

Keep going! Bucks will still try to search for does. Usually there is snow on the ground too so Ill scout for tracks and food sources. Food starts to become even more important as it gets into late November and December. there may be a lull in deer movement from all the gun pressure, but I still like to see what is going on and what the movement patterns are.
Mike32
500 Club

Unread postby Mike32 » Fri Nov 20, 2020 11:48 pm

We have about a 2 week pause in our bow season after the gun season is over. So if I have tag's left, I'll do some scouting, I'll look for some type of food sources and look for thick bedding cover and try to set up as close as I can to that. Also, for fresh scrapes that are being used, I've had some action around them as well that time of year.. Good luck, just get out and give it a try you can learn a lot and get in deer.
Hoyt RX7 bow, and exodus broadheads
Beast stand and beast sticks.
gsquared23

Unread postby gsquared23 » Sat Nov 21, 2020 2:19 pm

I don’t have experience on public land, but I’ve seen the biggest deer I’ve ever seen (190 nontypical) and one of the most massive deer I’ve ever seen on Black Friday, the week in between our gun seasons. So I would definitely be in a tree if possible, especially while they still have does on their mind.
Bowhunting is not for the faint of heart. But fortune favors the bowed.
Mossberg90MN

Unread postby Mossberg90MN » Sun Nov 22, 2020 5:12 pm

Yea I just went out today to do some scouting and try to find some less pressured public. It’s pretty much a ghost town at this point I would say. Good news is I did see a couple does out and about today on the way to the spot. Which means the deer are coming back out of hiding from gun season haha
Moose
500 Club

Unread postby Moose » Sun Nov 22, 2020 11:48 pm

I try my hardest to fill my tag before gun season that starts 1st weekend of December, then we have a 2nd gun following right after the 1st gun season then its late muzzleloader till the end of deer season. We cant bow hunt during the 1st or 2nd season gun but we can during late muzzleloader. I hunt late muzzleloader so thats the only real reason why i try to fill my bow tag before 1st gun season plus it gives me 2 months to fill it.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”