Best public land PEAK rut tactics

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Polack

Best public land PEAK rut tactics

Unread postby Polack » Fri Nov 20, 2020 5:01 am

Here in Michigan it peak rut and the weather has been ultra windy. There isn't as much pressure on the deer as I expected but all the shooter bucks have seemed to have vanished. We did spot a big 8 pointer on the 7th but he was cruising in with a hot doe but nothing since worth shooting. I'm hunting your typical southern Michigan mostly swamp areas with mature timber and very little acorns this year. The corn fields have been mostly cut so there is no where left to hide. Ive been hunting the usual rut funnels and pinch points with no success. Not a ton of good buck sign either in the area. Im hunting mobile 95% of the time.
Im thinking of really pounding with boots on the ground to find something better.... Any tips?? Should I just search these transitions lines or do you think I should search inside of the bedding areas? Im looking for something outside of the box.... Ive tried all the usual rut tactics. I scout my way into these rut areas but all the sign looks 1-2 weeks old. Thanks

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”