Slow It Down

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

The Silence

Slow It Down

Unread postby The Silence » Thu Nov 19, 2020 5:00 pm

Would love to get everyone's input. I noticed today when I was practicing with my bow, that when I released my arrow after holding for 1-2 seconds there were times when those shots were noticably less accurate than
when I anchored for 3-4 seconds. I just felt like I got much more settled in and less hurried. For the most part, I haven't really noticed that the deer I've stopped being in a hurry to leave, but there are times when
I am not slowing the process of aiming down. Do you guys have any suggestions of what you do to just slow yourself down in the process? Thanks.

A5BLASTER
500 Club

Re: Slow It Down

Unread postby A5BLASTER » Thu Nov 19, 2020 5:09 pm

I walk through my shot process in my head.
Hawthorne
500 Club

Unread postby Hawthorne » Fri Nov 20, 2020 2:26 am

Hunting high pressure deer that are about to spook has me wanting to shoot fast and it cost me this year. This is one tip that I simply will forget and have to remind myself. Over 20 years of shooting in leagues and practice
Crazinamatese

Unread postby Crazinamatese » Fri Nov 20, 2020 2:40 am

I have heard of people drawing on actual deer without actually shooting them when in the stand to practice their shot process. I haven’t tried it. I often black out when I shoot an animal. Hardly remember my aim and shot process. Adrenaline does weird things.
The cave you fear hides the treasure you seek!!!
treeroot
500 Club

Unread postby treeroot » Fri Nov 20, 2020 2:46 am

I raced the shot this year and I missed. Looking back somehow up to that hunt I completely forgot one part of my routine. How I forgot I do not know. What I forgot was mentally rehearsing all my shot options. If a deer is here I do this, watch that limb, turn this way, that is x yards to that opening. Having a plan for everything helps keep me from racing to figure it all out plus shoot. Instead of being calm with a plan I was scrambling figuring out yardage, foot placement (saddle hunting) limbs and twigs.
Ack

Unread postby Ack » Fri Nov 20, 2020 2:48 am

Hawthorne wrote:Hunting high pressure deer that are about to spook has me wanting to shoot fast and it cost me this year. This is one tip that I simply will forget and have to remind myself. Over 20 years of shooting in leagues and practice

Same exact scenario happen to me a few weeks ago. I think we typically have more time to make the shot than what we think, and it’s those hurried shots that really cost you.
The Silence

Unread postby The Silence » Fri Nov 20, 2020 3:14 am

Sounds like this is a pretty common challenge. Treeroot, I think what you commented on is really true. Another thing I'll add to that has to do with deciding if you want to shoot this particular deer. Is he old enough? Is he a target buck? Etc. Doing all this evaluating especially if he just shows up and you have no time to see him ahead of time. My son was a sprinter and I remember him saying that his best races were when his mind was completely clear as he was in the starting blocks. Focused. Not distracted. I often hunt from the ground in a ghillie suit, I've had plenty of deer never figure out what I was. I also just need to trust the fact that if I don't move and have good natural cover around me I should be fine. No need to get hyper.
mbone1327

Unread postby mbone1327 » Fri Nov 20, 2020 1:10 pm

Confidence is everything. Build confidence in your shot and know your equipment. I build confidence by shooting consistently. I know when I'm moving alot and need to steady the pin and when I'm ready to let loose.
Being prepared helps me slow down the situation. Knowing my shooting lanes, ranges and an idea of where the deer are coming from helps. That being said everything goes out the window when a buck walks by but all you can do is be prepared as possible.
Ghost Hunter

Unread postby Ghost Hunter » Fri Nov 20, 2020 1:26 pm

I will practice quick shot and slow shots. I only shoot two arrows at a time. Sometimes I just get on target and release. Sometimes I will hold it for 15-30 seconds.
I'm reason they call it hunting and not shooting.
Boogieman1
500 Club

Unread postby Boogieman1 » Fri Nov 20, 2020 2:55 pm

For me it’s all about rhythm. If I mentally force myself to break that rhythm it usually doesn’t end well for me. Suppose I’m a bit odd at how I shoot a bow an arrow. But I compare it to Happy Gilmore when Chubs is trying to coach him up. Said.... Your confusing me with all that crap why don’t I just put the ball in the hole.
Life is hard; It’s even harder if you are stupid.
-John Wayne-
gsquared23

Unread postby gsquared23 » Sat Nov 21, 2020 2:37 pm

Crazinamatese wrote:I have heard of people drawing on actual deer without actually shooting them when in the stand to practice their shot process. I haven’t tried it. I often black out when I shoot an animal. Hardly remember my aim and shot process. Adrenaline does weird things.

I’ve “blacked out” the last couple of shots. One time I was even asked “how far was he? What pin did you use?”, and I honestly didn’t know for sure. Maybe it’s more entering “the zone” than blacking out, but anyway, I automatically just focus on the kill zone, and then pull through the shot. It’s best when it’s natural and not rushed, I would say I normally aim about 3-4 seconds, and then send it. I would agree a 1-2 second aim isn’t enough to get settled.
Bowhunting is not for the faint of heart. But fortune favors the bowed.
Evanszach7
500 Club

Unread postby Evanszach7 » Sat Nov 21, 2020 3:29 pm

I'm not a skilled archer, but I seem to hit deer better than targets. Archery practice, I tend to over think the mechanics. Deer... yardage, shot angle, send it. I've also never stopped a deer. Sometimes it's 3 seconds, sometimes I'm at full draw for 30 seconds. The longer I have to "think" my form breaks down.
mbarthelemy

Unread postby mbarthelemy » Sun Nov 22, 2020 1:41 am

Hawthorne wrote:Hunting high pressure deer that are about to spook has me wanting to shoot fast and it cost me this year. This is one tip that I simply will forget and have to remind myself. Over 20 years of shooting in leagues and practice

I feel you on that pain brother. I blew it with a rushed shot on 2 bucks this year. One of them really hurt.
Brad
500 Club

Unread postby Brad » Mon Nov 23, 2020 3:20 pm

I have shot only taken shots on 5 total deer since I started hunting last year. 3 with my bow (two at 20 yards and one at 30 yards), and two with a firearm (both shots in the 60-70 yard range). All three shots with my bow hit exactly where I was aiming. One with the firearm took me three shots to get him down... the other i took one shot and missed. I think I rush things with the rifle, but with my bow I am pretty methodical and follow the steps for proper form, etc. In fact all three deer I shot with my bow I actually ranged with my rangefinder before taking the shot. Of course one thing that may effect this is all 3 bow deer were in september and both firearm deer were in november... deer seem to move slower in september than in november...
Lockdown

Unread postby Lockdown » Mon Nov 23, 2020 3:34 pm

Ack wrote:

Same exact scenario happen to me a few weeks ago. I think we typically have more time to make the shot than what we think, and it’s those hurried shots that really cost you.

x3

I’ve replayed the scenario in my head over and over. I honestly think if I’d gave it 2-3 extra seconds I would have settled my pin lower and be tagged out.

I was freaked out that he was going to get my wind, and honestly have no idea how he didn’t. Should have put that aside and concentrated on the task at hand.

I almost never shoot fast. But I did that time and it cost me.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”