Out of State. With friend or going alone?

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

johndeere506
500 Club

Out of State. With friend or going alone?

Unread postby johndeere506 » Thu Nov 19, 2020 4:55 am

I have vacation days to use, so im planning on driving 5 hrs each way to hunt out of state. Would you wait until a friend is available after the peak of the season, or go now but alone with maybe some good action in the woods? Its a good long walk back, and also could be very tough getting a buck out alone. I've come to realize some of this is not all about shooting bucks, but spending time w a friend (I'm already tagged out in 2 states, 3 mature bucks). I could also sit closer spots alone and/or check out new stuff/in season scout. When I go alone I usually drive down all night, hunt all day, drive home.
What would you do? Or what do you do for out of state or far from home hunts?

Trout
500 Club

Re: Out of State. With friend or going alone?

Unread postby Trout » Thu Nov 19, 2020 5:02 am

I started hunting out of state a few years ago. The first year I couldn't find anyone who wanted to go with me so I went alone. Had a bunch of action and a great time. Year two, a friend came, had a bunch of action and an even better time. Same in year three. Year four will likely be the same, but if he doesn't come, im still going, its too much fun.
mauser06
500 Club

Unread postby mauser06 » Thu Nov 19, 2020 5:16 am

I wait for noone. Hunting season only comes around once a year. I want to make the most of it. Is it a hassle to get a deer out alone? Well...it's nice to have help. But I carry a sled, a cart and a pack. I get by.

Hunting with someone else or a group can definitely be a good time. But I make my plans and go with them. I'm finding the older I get, the harder it is to get schedules to line up and all that.

Now, if I had health conditions or physical limitations etc...it just wouldn't really be practical to fly solo.
Hawthorne
500 Club

Unread postby Hawthorne » Thu Nov 19, 2020 7:36 am

What part of what state?
Thesouthpaw
500 Club

Unread postby Thesouthpaw » Thu Nov 19, 2020 7:53 am

I prefer to take my trips alone. When someone is with me, I feel as though I am babysitting them the entire time. I do make exceptions during turkey season with one of my friends. We hunt very similar and work well as a team. When it comes to deer hunting, I would rather just worry about myself.
Anything worth doing, is worth over doing.
BRoth82
500 Club

Unread postby BRoth82 » Thu Nov 19, 2020 8:26 am

Last year I went out of state alone, I worried about how to get a deer out when I got one down. I have a pack that I can use as a day pack and it can haul half a deer fairly well, I ended up shooting a Doe 1.6 miles from the truck. I used the gutless method and ended up making 2 trips to get her out, then the next day I shot a very large body buck that I wanted to mount 1.8 miles from the truck. Again gutless method, first load was my cloths and cape/head. Then second load I dumped everything but my water out of my packs and took out the front shoulder, rear quarter and trim bag with backstraps, Luckily another saw me and carried out a rear quarter for me. If not I would have had to make 3 trips, and I'd do that in a heart beat again.
Swamp Stache

Unread postby Swamp Stache » Thu Nov 19, 2020 9:54 am

For me if I have already shot 3 mature bucks for the year I'd probably wait for the buddy. For me it would be much more enjoyable to have someone out there with me on a trip vs hunting better dates. Now if I didn't have a buck for the year I'd be all about "prime time". Either way I love me a out of state trip!
It only takes 15 seconds for the hunt of a lifetime.
Swamp Stache

Unread postby Swamp Stache » Thu Nov 19, 2020 9:56 am

For me if I have already shot 3 mature bucks for the year I'd probably wait for the buddy. For me it would be much more enjoyable to have someone out there with me on a trip vs hunting better dates. Now if I didn't have a buck for the year I'd be all about "prime time". Either way I love me a out of state trip!
It only takes 15 seconds for the hunt of a lifetime.
MN_DeerHunter
500 Club

Unread postby MN_DeerHunter » Thu Nov 19, 2020 10:23 am

Coming back to camp solo is not as much fun but hunting alone is so much easier especially if you only have one vehicle. Coordinating dropping off and picking up a buddy at their hunting location is kind of a pain if hunting different locations. I'd make sure your buddy has a grasp on camping chores and helping with cleanup that goes along with that too so you're not having to babysit.

Don't be afraid to give hunting solo a try. I would recommend researching the gutless method for getting a deer out - I did it for the first time ever this fall and it was so much easier than dragging a buck out solo.
Mopar1169
500 Club

Unread postby Mopar1169 » Thu Nov 19, 2020 11:26 am

I go hunting out if state with my College hunting buddy. Since he lives in wisconsin now it is the only time I get to hunt with him. But I would still go even if he couldn't make the trip. He hunts alot like I do so things go smooth and we just have fun no matter what happens. Always alittle ribbing for fun though.
Bowstring

Unread postby Bowstring » Thu Nov 19, 2020 11:33 am

I'd wait for my buddy.. For me it's just a better experience when you share it with a good friend. Each his own, good luck man.
hunting_dad
500 Club

Unread postby hunting_dad » Thu Nov 19, 2020 2:19 pm

To me it just depends on what you’re looking to get out of it. If you enjoy hunting alone and the whole experience that comes with being by yourself, then I would say go. If you’re looking more to spend time with a friend and possibly get a deer on top of that, then wait for him. You know what you would prefer so go with your gut. Either way, good luck!
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Thu Nov 19, 2020 3:02 pm

I have done both on out of state hunts. Hunting with others is great if your joined by like minded individuals with similar goals and ambition. Pick the wrong people and it could be a nightmare.

These days I prefer solo hunts. I’m much for focussed on what I’m doing and no distractions. Just seems like a much more relaxed and carefree time. I can hunt at my own pace never have to wait for anybody or coordinate hunt locations. Go where I want when I want.
krent12
Facebook: Kyle Rentmeester

Unread postby krent12 » Thu Nov 19, 2020 3:06 pm

i like going with 1 buddy and thats it
UntouchableNess
500 Club

Unread postby UntouchableNess » Thu Nov 19, 2020 3:41 pm

If I’m planning the hunt, I’d rather go alone.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”