Peak rut question

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Moose
500 Club

Peak rut question

Unread postby Moose » Tue Nov 17, 2020 11:39 pm

Do you see more or less deer during the peak rut. I always thought you would see the most activity during the peak but im finding out that its slow at the peak. Is that normally true? Im in farm country if that matters.

Andyschulte

Re: Peak rut question

Unread postby Andyschulte » Tue Nov 17, 2020 11:45 pm

I feel like it can be boom or bust. In the right spot, you’ll have deer running everywhere. On the flip side, the wrong spot might get you skunked. That’s been my experience anyways.
fishlips
500 Club

Unread postby fishlips » Tue Nov 17, 2020 11:51 pm

I have seen more activity but never a lot of deer during the rut. 5 deer is a lot to see for me in a sit.

That said I've had many 0 deer sits during the rut but this part season I have also had some of my best hunting I have ever had in my life and it changed from day to day. Long winded way of saying from my observations it just depends on the day and location
Jmitch

Unread postby Jmitch » Wed Nov 18, 2020 12:54 am

Boom or bust for me too usually. For me "peak" and just after have been some of the best times for finding big bucks looking during the daytime. Just a right place right time kinda thing setup in a good rut spot and wait it out. No real pattern or rhyme or reason to it that I've seen. Just need to catch one between does that's up and looking. Doesnt always happen but when it does its usually awesome. I generally see more deer in the pre rut but not near as many good bucks during that time frame.
Huntress13
500 Club

Unread postby Huntress13 » Wed Nov 18, 2020 1:22 am

Unpredictable. Thats the frustrating thing about it.
Twigs in my hair, don't care.
jkelley1487

Unread postby jkelley1487 » Wed Nov 18, 2020 9:40 am

I feel like it can be pretty tough around peak rut (14th-18ish). Seems like a majority of the does are in and the good bucks are locked onto them. You almost need to a hot doe to come through with a buck following. It seems like I see a lot of small bucks cruising but that's about it.

You also have most gun seasons in the midwest coming in and that further pressures the deer. Hang in there though because those big mature bucks will be looking for a new gf as the rut winds down the next few weeks.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”