11/14 A first for me

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

boucheed

11/14 A first for me

Unread postby boucheed » Tue Nov 17, 2020 1:35 am

I got into my stand just before daylight with the intent of trying some grunts and rattling for the first time. I pulled out the grunt tube and gave a couple grunts and then followed it up with some rattling. I have never done this before so I wasn't sure what to expect. I settled in and began to watch to see what happened. At 6:45 I saw a deer come off of a flat ridge down toward me. I ranged him at 45 yard and he just kept coming, I grabbed my bow and he just kept coming... I was amazed an frankly a little surprised I settled the 20 yard pin on him and shot right over his back. I even managed to nock another arrow but he looked right up and busted me. All of this happened in such a short period of time I failed to get my composure. Mind you it was not a huge buck and when I ranged where he stood he was right at about 12 yards. Call it buck fever, but it was exciting none the less. Even though this didn't end in harvesting a buck it was an exciting first for me. I am not sure if grunting and rattling always works during the rut but I will say it did this time. Best of luck to all the other hunters out there.

<DK>
500 Club

Re: 11/14 A first for me

Unread postby <DK> » Tue Nov 17, 2020 1:40 am

12 yards w the 20 pin, from the stand and string jump I could see that happening. He was on edge bc of the rattling and grunting.

At least you got him to come in! I have bow hunted almost 10 years noe and have never rattled in a deer (that I could see). I try once a season

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”