Tree stand broke during peak rut

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Matthewkatz
Facebook: matthew R katzmarek

Tree stand broke during peak rut

Unread postby Matthewkatz » Sun Nov 15, 2020 9:49 am

Hey guys I have a bit of a dilemma. I was setting up my stand in the yard a foot off the ground to see if my dad would like it and when I climbed out I jumped off, and when I did one of the support cables broke. Its going to take a week for a replacement to come in and this week is the peak of the rut for my area. Would you guys give up until the cable came in or hunt on the ground. Me I cant give up and am going to have to hunt on the ground. I've never done it with a bow but I cant just sit back and wait when the action is hot.

hunting_dad
500 Club

Re: Tree stand broke during peak rut

Unread postby hunting_dad » Sun Nov 15, 2020 9:54 am

Go hunt. You can’t kill anything sitting and waiting on tree stand parts. People kill plenty of deer from the ground, just a little different approach. Go get em
MichiganMike
500 Club

Unread postby MichiganMike » Sun Nov 15, 2020 10:52 am

Depending on what kind of cable, maybe try your local local hardware store and make one real quick. Otherwise yeah, just get out there! Many of deer and bucks been shot from the ground
KRONIIK
500 Club

Unread postby KRONIIK » Sun Nov 15, 2020 11:20 am

Menards, etc. sells cable clamps and cable of various sizes in various lengths in the auto/ trailer departments.
Maybe replace both sides while you're at it?
Or use chain if you wish.
PK_
500 Club

Unread postby PK_ » Sun Nov 15, 2020 11:22 am

Better order 2.

Keep hunting.
No Shortcuts. No Excuses. No Regrets.
Everybody's selling dreams. I'm too cheap to buy one.
Rich M wrote:Typically, hunting FL has been like getting a root canal
magoo

Unread postby magoo » Sun Nov 15, 2020 12:11 pm

I replaced the cables with chain on one of my stands. I was concerned about noise, but it is as quiet as
cables. Just have to watch entering or leaving, that's the only time it can be noisy.
Rich M
500 Club

Unread postby Rich M » Mon Nov 16, 2020 2:22 am

There's more ways to skin a cat...

Maybe go buy another one? When stuff breaks it either gets fixed or replaced around here. You can use chain too.

Glad it broke at home. Make sure you replace both sides.

Have fun hunting.
Maverick1

Unread postby Maverick1 » Mon Nov 16, 2020 3:57 am

Matthewkatz wrote:Hey guys I have a bit of a dilemma. I was setting up my stand in the yard a foot off the ground to see if my dad would like it and when I climbed out I jumped off, and when I did one of the support cables broke. Its going to take a week for a replacement to come in and this week is the peak of the rut for my area. Would you guys give up until the cable came in or hunt on the ground. Me I cant give up and am going to have to hunt on the ground. I've never done it with a bow but I cant just sit back and wait when the action is hot.

If you are close to NE WI I’d be happy to let you borrow one of mine.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
No sponsors. No camera crew. No team. Just me and my bow. And that’s the way I prefer it.
bigbuckhunter88
500 Club

Unread postby bigbuckhunter88 » Mon Nov 16, 2020 4:05 am

Maverick1 wrote:
Matthewkatz wrote:Hey guys I have a bit of a dilemma. I was setting up my stand in the yard a foot off the ground to see if my dad would like it and when I climbed out I jumped off, and when I did one of the support cables broke. Its going to take a week for a replacement to come in and this week is the peak of the rut for my area. Would you guys give up until the cable came in or hunt on the ground. Me I cant give up and am going to have to hunt on the ground. I've never done it with a bow but I cant just sit back and wait when the action is hot.

If you are close to NE WI I’d be happy to let you borrow one of mine.

Agree with this. Theres ways to fix it. Where ya located i got a few stands that I've put away for the fall.
BJ99Robinson

Unread postby BJ99Robinson » Mon Nov 16, 2020 4:32 am

What brand of stand?
Could you post pictures? They might help others learn something.
Matthewkatz
Facebook: matthew R katzmarek

Unread postby Matthewkatz » Mon Nov 16, 2020 4:47 am

it was the cable on an xop vanish. I live in tennessee and appreciate the offers.im thinking a lone wolf cable would work, I can get those for 20$ or get a cable from treestandcables.com. all the hardware stores around me were closed on the weekends. I got cable from lowes but I havent been able to find any of the heavy duty eyelets that are crimped on the cable. Ill try the local hardware stores monday and if that doesnt work ill order one online. If I buy online it will take over a week to get here and since its peak rut im not going to just sit and wait for a cable im going to hunt on the ground.
may21581
500 Club

Unread postby may21581 » Mon Nov 16, 2020 4:52 am

Not sure where your cable broke at. If you have a few inches on each end of the eyelets can you grab a short piece of cable and use cable clamps to the old pieces to get you through till the new stuff arrives? If you go that route just make sure you double them up and make sure they are very tight. You can wrap them with electrical tape for reduced noise and to cover the cut cable strands.
"Failure is the price for entry for achieving something great"
may21581
500 Club

Unread postby may21581 » Mon Nov 16, 2020 4:54 am

Also I wouldn't attempt to put your own eyes on the cables. Those require the proper die to crimp them properly and then should be load tested to proper specs. Id just buy the right stuff and do what you need to do to get through.
"Failure is the price for entry for achieving something great"
Primetime

Unread postby Primetime » Mon Nov 16, 2020 4:59 am

Go buy another one. Sucks to spend the extra $$ but its good to have 2 for this reason exactly.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”