Weird scenario...

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Woodsy211
500 Club

Weird scenario...

Unread postby Woodsy211 » Sun Nov 15, 2020 2:08 am

A buddy and I put a hunt together on a small piece of public, and teamed up to cover two exits on a bedding area on Halloween . Both within 100 yards of where he was bedded. Plan worked perfect, and he shot a beauty. Being that the area has a couple stands and cameras, and we stomped the place flat tracking and getting the buck out, I decided to toss a cell cam in there just to kind of observe what happens next without going back in there.

First night, cam had deer pics which then slowed down. Last weekend we went back in because I wanted to move the cam. Same thing, that night had two bucks and some does right there and then nothing. Mid week, I had a pic of two girls walking through there, in the dark, and it was raining. Very odd, because they would had had to walk quite a ways through tick infested briars to get there, and it’s surrounded by water in the direction they were headed.

Anyways, that night, a 95-100” came through as well as a doe. We set another cell cam on another property, and the first couple days had deer pics and now nothing.

So my question is this, do u think the activity is being curious about human scent? All dark pics so I’m thinking maybe they check it out , out of curiosity under the cover of darkness.

It seemed like those girls coming through sparked their interest in that small location once again, but maybe it’s just coincidence.

Huntress13
500 Club

Re: Weird scenario...

Unread postby Huntress13 » Sun Nov 15, 2020 3:28 am

It was Halloween, the girls must have arrived on broomsticks!
Twigs in my hair, don't care.
Woodsy211
500 Club

Unread postby Woodsy211 » Sun Nov 15, 2020 3:42 am

Nope , they arrived Wednesday of this past week lol
Jdw
500 Club

Unread postby Jdw » Sun Nov 15, 2020 8:09 am

I have seen the same thing.

I think what’s going on is the deer smell you, they try to figure out what you were up to and then they are cautious in that area for a while.

I have also had them track me on multiple occasions.

They settle down after a while if they don’t smell you again.
Woodsy211
500 Club

Unread postby Woodsy211 » Sun Nov 15, 2020 11:22 am

I guess that’s the question I’m asking, is how many of u guys have seen the same thing and what the general consensus is. I’ve ran cams since back in the days of getting the film developed, but the past few years I’ve backed off on em til recently. I’m a firm believer that one can learn a lot from a few well placed cams, but I also don’t believe in setting them up anywhere near a target area for obvious reasons. I just dove into the cell cam thing this season, and between a buddy and I we’ve got 4 cell cams out . If it wasn’t for that, I probably wouldn’t have realized the connection between deer activity and ground scent. I get the pics on the hour, so I noticed the connection.

We were out scouting today, and got a pic of a cruising buck at 9:38 am. The info is certainly handy, because due to that pic and where he was headed, we knew for a fact where he was bedded.which is a very small area. Didn’t do me any good, because we spent the day scouting new properties and setting cams.

The Halloween buck was killed in much the same way, but without photo proof. I saw a big track headed into a relatively small bedding area , most mornings. It really seemed like a dead ringer. He weighed 192. I like the cam thing but there’s a time and a place I suppose.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”