NEED ADVICE

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

BCR1985

NEED ADVICE

Unread postby BCR1985 » Sat Nov 14, 2020 2:47 am

Hi Gang,

Rattled in a big 8 on a piece of public this morning. He came in on a string and stopped directly under my tree. Shot angle was too steep so I waited for him to walk out to about 10 yards quartering away. The buck was relaxed and I took my time and put the pin just behind the shoulder. Angle still was probably steeper than I'd prefer, but everything felt good so I released. The arrow went where I was aiming; behind the shoulder angling towards the chest. I did not get full penetration. On impact I heard a crack and the buck jumped and crashed into the brush in front of me and then into the creek. He came out the other side and stood there for a moment. I could see the arrow clearly; sticking out of his left side behind the shoulder, where I'd aimed. He was about 40 yards away at that point but I'd say conservatively I got 8 to 10 inches of penetration going forward.

The buck started walking away and blowing. He blew about 6 times. At one point I though he lost his balance but he never fell. Instead of walking directly away, he made a loop and headed back towards the creek he jumped into. He appeared to be heading towards the bedding area which was back on the other side of the creek. I lost him when he got to the edge of the creek and did not hear anything after that.

I was quiet and the deer never knew I was there. Climbed down quietly after about 45 minutes and did not pursue; just made a mental note of where I last saw him as he was heading towards the bedding area. I walked over to the initial place of impact and saw several large clumps of hair, dark at the tips and light at the roots. I'm pretty sure this was flank/back hair. Then went to the spot where he jumped into the creek and found another big tuft of hair on the ground and some smeared against the trunk of a tree he collided with before entering creek. No blood, just hair.

I feel the shot was good and the placement was good, but didn't get the penetration I should have. I am concerned about the blowing. Has anyone recovered a buck after they've blown after being hit well? Again 8-10 angling forward behind shoulder.

I plan on leaving him at least until this afternoon and likely until tomorrow morning. Please help! Any thoughts?

Thanks,

Ed

Moose
500 Club

Re: NEED ADVICE

Unread postby Moose » Sat Nov 14, 2020 2:57 am

I dont recall ever having a deer blowing at after a shot BUT if your confident in your shot placement check for a blood trail early afternoon. If no blood at all you may want to wait till morning. When the buck jumped was it like a mule kick jump? I know everything happens fast and your adrenaline is rushing. Sometimes are shots arent were we thought they would be. I hope everything turns out good for you. Good luck!
BCR1985

Unread postby BCR1985 » Sat Nov 14, 2020 3:15 am

Moose wrote:I dont recall ever having a deer blowing at after a shot BUT if your confident in your shot placement check for a blood trail early afternoon. If no blood at all you may want to wait till morning. When the buck jumped was it like a mule kick jump? I know everything happens fast and your adrenaline is rushing. Sometimes are shots arent were we thought they would be. I hope everything turns out good for you. Good luck!

Thanks me too. My shot looked solid and I watched him for a while thinking he'd drop. Instead he started blowing. Its been a rainy day which will not help for the blood.
Moose
500 Club

Unread postby Moose » Sat Nov 14, 2020 3:22 am

If you know you made a good shot and its raining. I would start tracking. If the leaves are wet you will be alot quiter tracking. Make sure you stop and listen and scan every few yds to make sure you dont jump him. If you do jump him you should wait till morning. Hopefully he is dead in his bed or if there is a water source close by.
moog5050
500 Club

Unread postby moog5050 » Sat Nov 14, 2020 3:23 am

Good luck. If its raining, I would give him a few hours and go after him. You know it wasn't too far back so you likely caught lung and possibly heart. Go in quiet.
Kraftd
500 Club

Unread postby Kraftd » Sat Nov 14, 2020 3:56 am

BCR1985 wrote:Hi Gang,

Rattled in a big 8 on a piece of public this morning. He came in on a string and stopped directly under my tree. Shot angle was too steep so I waited for him to walk out to about 10 yards quartering away. The buck was relaxed and I took my time and put the pin just behind the shoulder. Angle still was probably steeper than I'd prefer, but everything felt good so I released. The arrow went where I was aiming; behind the shoulder angling towards the chest. I did not get full penetration. On impact I heard a crack and the buck jumped and crashed into the brush in front of me and then into the creek. He came out the other side and stood there for a moment. I could see the arrow clearly; sticking out of his left side behind the shoulder, where I'd aimed. He was about 40 yards away at that point but I'd say conservatively I got 8 to 10 inches of penetration going forward.

The buck started walking away and blowing. He blew about 6 times. At one point I though he lost his balance but he never fell. Instead of walking directly away, he made a loop and headed back towards the creek he jumped into. He appeared to be heading towards the bedding area which was back on the other side of the creek. I lost him when he got to the edge of the creek and did not hear anything after that.

I was quiet and the deer never knew I was there. Climbed down quietly after about 45 minutes and did not pursue; just made a mental note of where I last saw him as he was heading towards the bedding area. I walked over to the initial place of impact and saw several large clumps of hair, dark at the tips and light at the roots. I'm pretty sure this was flank/back hair. Then went to the spot where he jumped into the creek and found another big tuft of hair on the ground and some smeared against the trunk of a tree he collided with before entering creek. No blood, just hair.

I feel the shot was good and the placement was good, but didn't get the penetration I should have. I am concerned about the blowing. Has anyone recovered a buck after they've blown after being hit well? Again 8-10 angling forward behind shoulder.

I plan on leaving him at least until this afternoon and likely until tomorrow morning. Please help! Any thoughts?

Thanks,

Ed

I've made that shot a couple of times with good results. If all is as you describe, he should be dead. The arrow probably stopped in the off shoulder, but should have cut some good stuff before it got there. Blood trail may not be great, especially off the bat, with higher entry and no exit. I'm guessing you have yourself a dead buck not far past the creek.
Jmitch

Unread postby Jmitch » Sat Nov 14, 2020 4:26 am

How good could you see the arrow. Was it stuck solid or appear to be flopping around. 8 to 10 inches in with a flopping arrow I'd think you hit the opposite shoulder and it bounced back or broke off. Arrow stuck I'd say you hit the near shoulder. The blowing seems odd especially if you hit the opposite shoulder and a double lung hit but you never know.
BCR1985

Unread postby BCR1985 » Sat Nov 14, 2020 7:34 am

I can't say for sure but I think the arrow was stuck in. Guys, what about the blowing?? I called a dog tracker and he advised to go in later today. I'm not sure that I agree with that. I must have hit bone, but I think I got past it and if I did, you may be right and he's not far. Should I wait unitl tomorrow morning or follow him up this afternoon? I shot him at around 7 est. Thanks for all your help!
Jmitch

Unread postby Jmitch » Sat Nov 14, 2020 9:21 am

I'd atleast go and check a little more this afternoon. I mean you are looking at 8 hours or so since the shot. I'd bring my bow and go slow and try and piece together a little more of the puzzle
mbone1327

Unread postby mbone1327 » Sat Nov 14, 2020 10:03 am

I think the guys are right you hit the opposite shoulder. If you hit the near shoulder you most likely wouldn't get any penetration and your arrow would be on the ground.
Boogieman1
500 Club

Unread postby Boogieman1 » Sat Nov 14, 2020 10:32 am

My bow shoots 160 FPS and I have probs seeing exactly where I hit. For some reason every shot looks perfect. Like moose I’ve never heard a deer blow after a shot other than a whiff on doe’s where they eventually get downwind.Most mature bucks I’ve seen don’t blow but rather sneak away without drawing attention. A shot deer and a blow doesn’t even go together kinda like fighting bucks and grunting.

Not implying it didn’t happen but very odd. Hope U find him.
Life is hard; It’s even harder if you are stupid.
-John Wayne-
Moose
500 Club

Unread postby Moose » Sat Nov 14, 2020 2:35 pm

Whats the verdict?
BCR1985

Unread postby BCR1985 » Tue Nov 17, 2020 11:16 pm

Moose wrote:Whats the verdict?

Sorry for the late response. I let that buck sit overnite and went out about 7 the next morning. Followed his tracks but there was no blood that I could see. Lost his tracks as he went into some really thick stuff that led into private property that I don't have access to. Can't believe I lost him, but I'm hoping that the blowing means he wasn't hit mortally. Called a licensed tracker too; he wouldn't take the track either. What a shame! This has been a strange year for me. I've had overnite recoveries on all but 2 deer I've taken this year and have lost 2.
Moose
500 Club

Unread postby Moose » Tue Nov 17, 2020 11:20 pm

That sucks. Just the way it is sometimes.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”