newb tips for hunting a marsh without trees

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

fenderbender62

newb tips for hunting a marsh without trees

Unread postby fenderbender62 » Thu Nov 12, 2020 6:28 am

I'm new to hunting marsh/wetlands and Im hunting a highly pressured public WMA for the first year where the back of the property 1-2 miles away from the access is a marsh that meets up to a river. At this point in the season all of the deer have moved to the back of the property and live in the marsh, and most of the bedding in the marsh seems to be out between 100-400 yards out near the edge of the river without any boat access anywhere nearby.

There arent any islands that support trees anywhere in the marsh, the entire marsh is just cattails and marsh grass. Should I be hunting a tree at the edge of the mainland and hoping for day time movement or get back in the marsh and hunt the trails off the ground? The trails dont really meander around, theyre pretty much straight lines from the mainland out to the beds.

This WMA is really high pressure and I'm not necessarily holding out for a big buck, just looking to put some meat in the freezer but Im not sure how to approach this setup.

Thanks in advance

what one man can do another can do
CattailCommander

Re: newb tips for hunting a marsh without trees

Unread postby CattailCommander » Thu Nov 12, 2020 7:25 am

fenderbender62 wrote:I'm new to hunting marsh/wetlands and Im hunting a highly pressured public WMA for the first year where the back of the property 1-2 miles away from the access is a marsh that meets up to a river. At this point in the season all of the deer have moved to the back of the property and live in the marsh, and most of the bedding in the marsh seems to be out between 100-400 yards out near the edge of the river without any boat access anywhere nearby.

There arent any islands that support trees anywhere in the marsh, the entire marsh is just cattails and marsh grass. Should I be hunting a tree at the edge of the mainland and hoping for day time movement or get back in the marsh and hunt the trails off the ground? The trails dont really meander around, theyre pretty much straight lines from the mainland out to the beds.

This WMA is really high pressure and I'm not necessarily holding out for a big buck, just looking to put some meat in the freezer but Im not sure how to approach this setup.

Thanks in advance

Hunt the trails from the ground. If you're not holding out for a big buck, pick the one thats beat down the most. If you want something bigger, find spots on the trails where the mud doesn't squish/distort their tracks quite as much, brush the grass/cattails or whatever is on the ground away and a lot of times you can judge track sizes on the trails. If its wet enough sometimes the mud will suction to their feet & hooves distorting their tracks making it hard to judge.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”