Clearcut Hunting. 5-10 year old cuts.

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

johndeere506
500 Club

Clearcut Hunting. 5-10 year old cuts.

Unread postby johndeere506 » Mon Nov 09, 2020 1:04 pm

I see a lot of old posts and other articles on 1-5 year old cuts, but not much on 5-10 year old cuts. Ive found in many cases they are very thick when already in good areas, but not lots of trees to put a stand in either. I am also a bit concerned with shooting since they are fairly thick in the old cuts, im considering bow and gun hunting. I know it would be as much of a food source after 10 years, but wondering what you are seeing in older/10yr cuts. Anyone have experience hunting these?

greenhorndave
500 Club

Re: Clearcut Hunting. 5-10 year old cuts.

Unread postby greenhorndave » Mon Nov 09, 2020 1:35 pm

----------
Sometimes when things get tough, weird or both, you just need to remember this...
https://youtu.be/d4tSE2w53ts
A5BLASTER
500 Club

Unread postby A5BLASTER » Tue Nov 10, 2020 2:26 am

Honestly the public I hunt that has clear cuts that are now 5 to 10 years old, are impossible to hunt because the pines are so thick and only 10 to 15 foot tall and the underbrush is basically a solid wall.

They will use it for bedding and if it borders a mature pine stand are a mature oak ridge/creek/flat it can make for a good spot to sit come gun season and do some meat hunting but the mature bucks wont be around it come daylight.
mbone1327

Unread postby mbone1327 » Wed Nov 11, 2020 2:17 pm

Thanks for that Dave. Great read.
mauser06
500 Club

Unread postby mauser06 » Thu Nov 12, 2020 1:58 am

I just ran into this yesterday.

The cut I found is right around 10yo. The old logging road runs through the cut. I walked it and it's absolutely torn up. The transitions are all soft..planted red pines along most the border of the cut. The other edges are steep ditches.

Could probably ground hunt or gun hunt in some places. There doesn't seem to be a rhyme or reason to the sign. They are using the old road...they are crossing it all over....not sure what to make of it. I don't know if they are using the old road in the daylight. Some of it is choked down but some of it has openings. Scattered oaks on the old road and through the cut.

I might throw a hunt at the road and see what happens. There is fresh sign and BIG sign. Some thigh sized rubs...
ajack

Unread postby ajack » Thu Nov 12, 2020 2:16 am

mauser06 wrote:I just ran into this yesterday.

The cut I found is right around 10yo. The old logging road runs through the cut. I walked it and it's absolutely torn up. The transitions are all soft..planted red pines along most the border of the cut. The other edges are steep ditches.

Could probably ground hunt or gun hunt in some places. There doesn't seem to be a rhyme or reason to the sign. They are using the old road...they are crossing it all over....not sure what to make of it. I don't know if they are using the old road in the daylight. Some of it is choked down but some of it has openings. Scattered oaks on the old road and through the cut.

I might throw a hunt at the road and see what happens. There is fresh sign and BIG sign. Some thigh sized rubs...

This sounds like the area Zach shot his buck in on the PA Public Land Challenge this year. Maybe you could use similar tactics if you can locate super fresh sign.
johndeere506
500 Club

Unread postby johndeere506 » Thu Nov 12, 2020 3:33 am

SOunds like I need to watch those videos of the PA hunts. I got through the first one last night, need to keep watching.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”