Natural ground blinds, rut crazed spike horns, and 7 year old girls.

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Nick grider

Natural ground blinds, rut crazed spike horns, and 7 year old girls.

Unread postby Nick grider » Mon Nov 09, 2020 1:50 am

I took my 7 year old daughter out to this natural ground blind that we made a few years ago just south of a swamp that's only about a half mile from my house. It's on public land and its my 'only got an hour after work to sit' spot. I've never seen a deer there until this past friday night. The area is a primary scrape area and I'm pretty well convinced that the deer only hit the scrapes in the cover of darkness. But Friday was a little different. As my daughter and I sat in the deadfall blind I whispered to her, 'don't move, I hear a deer for sure'. Moments later, a spike was right on a doe. They ran no more than 10 feet from us and were both totally rut crazed. After a good few minutes of watching him chase her all around us, nearly running right in the blind with us, they finally went there separate ways. I looked over at my daughter, and she was shaking uncontrollably with her eyes as big around as a golf ball. Her adrenaline dump was uncontrollable as she was freezing cold in this odd 65 degree warm front. An experience both of us will remember for the rest of our lives. It's amazing how sometimes just a spike horn buck and a young doe can give the hunter a hunt that will never be forgotten.

The Mediocre Hunter

Re: Natural ground blinds, rut crazed spike horns, and 7 year old girls.

Unread postby The Mediocre Hunter » Mon Nov 09, 2020 2:04 am

That's awesome man! I'm glad she was there to experience that. Great job on getting her out there.
thwack16
500 Club

Unread postby thwack16 » Mon Nov 09, 2020 2:44 am

Sounds like a great hunt! Keep getting her out there, my 1 year old daughter has checked quite a few trail cams with me. Can’t wait to have the kind of experiences y’all did.
Loppy

Unread postby Loppy » Mon Nov 09, 2020 4:19 am

And that's what hunting is supposed to be about. The experiences that you will never forget, no matter the size or the kind of animal you see. If it makes your heart race or puts a smile on your face, sometimes that is just as good as making a killing shot. To share it with a hunting buddy ecspecialy your kid just makes it that much better.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”