Adding Realism to Your Calling

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Jonny
500 Club

Re: Adding Realism to Your Calling

Unread postby Jonny » Wed Nov 11, 2020 2:51 am

MNBrowTines wrote:I only call during the rut. It’s a totally different ball game then. When they are thinking clearly, I’m not a fan of calling.

Prime example of goofy rut behavior: Just yesterday I watched my son take a shot at a nice rutted up 2-3 year old 8 pointer. The deer walked off, we got down to check for blood, figuring we just blew out the area anyway (shotgun season here - he missed, I suspect he deflected off a branch, it was a tight window). I caught movement out of the corner of my eye....that buck circled around and came back in upwind for another look, just minutes after having a canon shot in it’s direction. Never seen anything like it.

Had one a few years back do something similar. Shot a doe and dropped her, figured I still had a buck tag and it was midday so I'll wait a while. Buck came in 15 minutes later and started sniffing the now dead doe, shot him. He circled back and tried sniffing again. Thought I missed the first shot so I shot him again, and he ran off. Both were 50-60 yard strong side shots.

Drilled him both times. Like perfect heart shots. Just mind boggling how goofy they get. Bet if I didn't shoot him he would've tried to figure out a way to score on her.

You have a monkey Mr. Munson?

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”