Need some guidance

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Cocephus

Need some guidance

Unread postby Cocephus » Sun Nov 08, 2020 6:01 am

I seen a nice buck (appeared to be a mature 10 pointer) 3 weeks ago driving a field. He was on neighbors property.

4 days ago my cousin who owns the property I hunt on sent me a video of a nice buck (looked very similar to the one I jumped) chasing a doe through the neighbors property.

Fast forward to yesterday, I hunt a field very far from where that was seen in the morning and pulled out noon to go to area the buck was seen chasing. As I made my way towards a creek near the property line, boom the doe went north from the hillside and the buck went south. I slowly sat down and the buck ran up a ridge and looked down in my direction, its the same one. He's a shooter. After a minute or two he bolted back north in the direction of the doe. She's hot. I waited about half an hour and back out the way I came and hydrated and thought of my plan, I waited about 2 hours, it is now 1400. I wrapped north down a road and toward where they ran and as I began to enter the woods I got a glimpse of him on a grassy area. He was looking in my directions but he got about as much if a look than I did. I seen him and continued my pace with my head low and sat down as soon as he was well out of sight. Through a thicket I could see his antlers periodically, say I sat and waited, down wind of him but without much shooting lanes I waited til dark and quietly made my way out. The entire time he stayed there with the doe, I could hear him scraping and making a weird grunt sound, it was very short and staccato (almost thought it was him just scrapping). Nothing to note on my exit.

Sorry that was long winded. This morning I snuck back in the woods between where the bedding was and the field, slightly downwind. Not much action, a little 6 pointer with his nose to the ground and a doe around 0845 heading from the field to the bedding, she was alone.

Tonight should I go to the field edge and wait to see if he is still around or go back to the bedding? I can provide maps if needed. Thanks guys. Love the website.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”