REALLY NEED SOME INPUT. THANKS!

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

ARP129
Facebook: Ross Payne

REALLY NEED SOME INPUT. THANKS!

Unread postby ARP129 » Fri Nov 06, 2020 6:09 pm

Sorry for the long read but figured id start here to try and avoid ruining this opportunity. I've just recently discovered the beast tactics and have listened to several of the podcasts and about to purchase the dvds. I just obtained permission to hunt a small area. The red outline around the woods is the 12 acres i am aloud to hunt. The total woods is shy of 20 with my side being the thickest. Ive only been in twice I didn't expect anything worthwhile to reside in the woods. But I was wrong. Placed 2 cams one in the ditchline with water flow and one inside the red circle on an intersection of several paths. Put cams in on the 24th of October and then went in November 2nd to check cams on my way in to check the center camera I seen a 160ish class 11 point in broad daylight cruising. Turns out both cameras had pictures of him almost every night and the only day pictures came from the camera at the red circle where I seen him. He was on that camera at 1200, 1400, and 1600 on the 2nd. With the woods being so small amd I've already been in twice I don't want to spook him off by trying to find the bedding. Hopefully I can obtain some insight on how you guys would handle this situation since I'm brand new to this tactic and the area is going to be gunhunted in 3 weeks by other hunters. I attached an aieral with details along with some pictures of the deer. Thanks in advance!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

KRONIIK
500 Club

Re: REALLY NEED SOME INPUT. THANKS!

Unread postby KRONIIK » Sat Nov 07, 2020 12:39 am

What an exciting find; he's a screamer!

And the layout of that property should make him very killable.

Do you know if the woods to the East of what you are allowed to hunt is currently being hunted by anyone?
If so I'm thinking that actually may be to your advantage because he probably wouldn't be bedding there if it's getting any pressure at all.
That would considerably narrow down your search.

Are you able to get out hunting today?
hunting_dad
500 Club

Unread postby hunting_dad » Sat Nov 07, 2020 1:32 am

Can you look at your photos of him in relation to the positioning of your cameras and get an idea of where he’s coming from and where he’s headed? May give you some insight as to bedding and also access to hunt him.
KRONIIK
500 Club

Unread postby KRONIIK » Sat Nov 07, 2020 3:01 am

Just an observation:
You note South and Southwest wind directions on the aerial, but (if I'm correct in that the daytime/afternoon photos of him are with the camera facing East-judging by the shadows-), the leaning marsh grass in the pics suggests to me that the prevailing winds may actually be North, at least in that specific spot.

Prevailing general wind in the open may be SW, but it may be swirling right there because of some terrain or vegetation feature.

Either way I'd almost bet that he lays up for most of his days VERY close to that camera. It's pretty open but he may be perfectly secure under a nearby deadfall etc.

As small as that woodlot is, I don't think he's actively cruising in any of those daytime pics, probably just stretching his legs and browsing a bit maybe slipping over to the ditch for a drink, etc.
He probably has scrapes upwind of where he's bedding so that he really doesn't ever need to travel far to keep his nose on the current doe scene.

Speaking of-have you seen any does in that area yet?
ARP129

Unread postby ARP129 » Sat Nov 07, 2020 6:03 am

KRONIIK wrote:What an exciting find; he's a screamer!

Do you know if the woods to the East of what you are allowed to hunt is currently being hunted by anyone?
If so I'm thinking that actually may be to your advantage because he probably wouldn't be bedding there if it's getting any pressure at all.

I am going this evening i believe. And I believe the east part of the lot is Amish.thanks hopefully i replied correctly!
ARP129

Unread postby ARP129 » Sat Nov 07, 2020 6:17 am

KRONIIK wrote:Just an observation:
You note South and Southwest wind directions on the aerial, but (if I'm correct in that the daytime/afternoon photos of him are with the camera facing East-judging by the shadows-), the leaning marsh grass in the pics suggests to me that the prevailing winds may actually be North, at least in that specific spot.

Prevailing general wind in the open may be SW, but it may be swirling right there because of some terrain or vegetation feature.

Either way I'd almost bet that he lays up for most of his days VERY close to that camera. It's pretty open but he may be perfectly secure under a nearby deadfall etc.

As small as that woodlot is, I don't think he's actively cruising in any of those daytime pics, probably just stretching his legs and browsing a bit maybe slipping over to the ditch for a drink, etc.
He probably has scrapes upwind of where he's bedding so that he really doesn't ever need to travel far to keep his nose on the current doe scene.

Speaking of-have you seen any does in that area yet?

Yes there is a considerable amount of doe activity. Thats what I was thinking since I got several pictures of him at night and only daylight pics on the 2nd three separate times. I am thinking he may be chasing does. A will attach another photo with the cam locations amd direction they are facing. They actually face north west
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
ARP129

Unread postby ARP129 » Sat Nov 07, 2020 6:27 am

KRONIIK wrote:What an exciting find; he's a screamer!

Actually I won't be going out today I work night shift so it will be either tomorrow or Sunday while I am off
KRONIIK
500 Club

Unread postby KRONIIK » Sat Nov 07, 2020 7:25 am

Okay, I guess the shadows fooled me into thinking your (afternoon-captures) camera was facing East.
Not that it matters much at this point; I just thought prevailing wind might be different than you were thinking it was.
But since they are facing NW, the marsh grass sorta confirms prevailing wind as Westerly-ish.

Ok now, regarding the doe situation:
I wasn't implying that he wasn't interested in them; only that he probably doesn't have to go cruising across open country to find some.
The fact that you have solid doe activity there is also a good thing for your situation.

It may mean that there might be enough of them in the vicinity to keep him at "home" most of the time.

That's where he needs to stay for you to get him; every time he leaves the property decreases the chances of him ever coming back due to roadkill hazard, poachers, and other hunters if he locks down on a hot doe on a farm miles away.

But I think you already know all that given your understandable reluctance to hunt too aggressively and risk bumping him out.

I'm gonna keep an eye on this thread and think about it hard for the next few days.
I would LOVE to be able to give you some advice that might help you get him.
ARP129

Unread postby ARP129 » Sat Nov 07, 2020 7:31 am

KRONIIK wrote:Okay, I guess the shadows fooled me into thinking your (afternoon-captures) camera was facing East.
Not that it matters much at this point; I just thought prevailing wind might be different than you were thinking it was.
But since they are facing NW, the marsh grass sorta confirms prevailing wind as Westerly-ish.

Ok now, regarding the doe situation:
I wasn't implying that he wasn't interested in them; only that he probably doesn't have to go cruising across open country to find some.
The fact that you have solid doe activity there is also a good thing for your situation.

It may mean that there might be enough of them in the vicinity to keep him at "home" most of the time.

That's where he needs to stay for you to get him; every time he leaves the property decreases the chances of him ever coming back due to roadkill hazard, poachers, and other hunters if he locks down on a hot doe on a farm miles away.

But I think you already know all that given your understandable reluctance to hunt too aggressively and risk bumping him out.

I'm gonna keep an eye on this thread and think about it hard for the next few days.
I would LOVE to be able to give you some advice that might help you get him.

Yeah I really appreciate the input. I'm fairly new to bow hunting with this being the first year I've ever taken it seriously. It almost looks as if he's bedding in the south west corner of the lot from what information the pictures have given me. Which to me wouldn't make much sense due to the wind but I haven't scouted it that hard since its a small woodlot and I'm nervous of bumping him. Hopefully I can successfully get him before gun season rolls around here in a few weeks haha.
KRONIIK
500 Club

Unread postby KRONIIK » Sat Nov 07, 2020 7:38 am

How does your work schedule look regarding the days and times of day you will be able to hunt him in the next couple weeks?
ARP129

Unread postby ARP129 » Sat Nov 07, 2020 7:44 am

KRONIIK wrote:How does your work schedule look regarding the days and times of day you will be able to hunt him in the next couple weeks?

I am in ohio for weather reference flat farmland. I will be off tomorrow and Sunday no time Monday through Wednesday Thursday I will have an evening available thats it for the next week since next weekend I work fri-sat. The following week however I have Monday evening, all day Tuesday, then Friday evening and all day Saturday and Sunday off
ARP129

Unread postby ARP129 » Sat Nov 07, 2020 11:36 am

KRONIIK wrote:How does your work schedule look regarding the days and times of day you will be able to hunt him in the next couple weeks?

If you were to throw a stand at it tomorrow with the information giving im curios to see maybe what you would chose?
greenhorndave
500 Club

Unread postby greenhorndave » Sat Nov 07, 2020 11:43 am

That’s a great deer man.

Good luck! 8-)
----------
Sometimes when things get tough, weird or both, you just need to remember this...
https://youtu.be/d4tSE2w53ts
KRONIIK
500 Club

Unread postby KRONIIK » Sat Nov 07, 2020 12:47 pm

ARP129 wrote:

If you were to throw a stand at it tomorrow with the information giving im curios to see maybe what you would chose?

I guess I'd probably play it pretty cautious for the next couple days as long as you're pretty sure that you'll be able to get out a few more times next week/weekend.

Since you're pretty sure he's bedding in the Southwest corner I'd slip in maybe 50 or 75 yards East of there, and no more than about that same distance into the woods. (Assuming you have a West or SW wind.)
Try not to leave too much ground scent as you go in.

Get set up 15 or 20 feet up if brush and cover dictate, quietly and well before first light.
Use your binoculars as much as you can stand to once it gets light.

If the wind shifts significantly, get down and slip out.

Think of this as an observation sit more than a kill setup.

Depending on what you see; hear and feel, plan your next step from there.

Once you find his exact bed you can probably kill him, as long as he doesn't move out on you before you find it.
I'm thinking he's pretty much a homebody and content with his situation for the moment.
As long as that doesn't change before gun season; I think you have pretty good odds to get a crack at him.

The risk with my plan is that he's bedding to the East of you, and will then wind you and become aware that he's being hunted.

I don't think that would be enough to get him to move out of that woodlot but it will make him 10x harder to hunt.
KRONIIK
500 Club

Unread postby KRONIIK » Sat Nov 07, 2020 12:49 pm

I'm gonna PM Dan and see what he thinks.
Hopefully he has time to weigh in.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”