Target panic

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Tydaniel

Target panic

Unread postby Tydaniel » Fri Nov 06, 2020 3:49 am

Had a 30 yard chip shot at a really nice buck this morning. I was shaking so bad I could barely keep the bow drawn back. Needless to say I missed. Pretty bad actually. Now I get it, the day I stop getting excited I need to quit hunting. At the same time, there needs to be some control of that panic. Does anybody have any methods or techniques they use to help with this. Additionally, any words of wisdom on missing today would be much appreciated. I just keep replaying it in my mind.

Robbo

Re: Target panic

Unread postby Robbo » Fri Nov 06, 2020 5:25 am

I had to swap to a back tension release
Grizzlyadam
500 Club

Unread postby Grizzlyadam » Fri Nov 06, 2020 7:09 am

Anticipating the shot regardless of if it's a foam block or a booner is the primary issue with target panic. It can manifest itself in many different ways. Shooting with "back tension" and getting an unanticipated release is the fix for most everyone who has issues. Try a different kind of release like a back tension or hinge release. It can be done with a trigger release and proper technique but it is more difficult to reprogram your brain using one. John Dudley has some good videos dealing with it that are very helpful.
jchang3

Unread postby jchang3 » Fri Nov 06, 2020 7:11 am

You are now diagnosed with an illness called “Buck Fever”. No way of curing it. As you get more experience, you can control it better.
HEINEN86

Unread postby HEINEN86 » Fri Nov 06, 2020 8:34 am

Tydaniel wrote:Had a 30 yard chip shot at a really nice buck this morning. I was shaking so bad I could barely keep the bow drawn back. Needless to say I missed. Pretty bad actually. Now I get it, the day I stop getting excited I need to quit hunting. At the same time, there needs to be some control of that panic. Does anybody have any methods or techniques they use to help with this. Additionally, any words of wisdom on missing today would be much appreciated. I just keep replaying it in my mind.

Hey man. I shouder shot a nice 8 monday night. It hurts. It really does. Didn't sleep the first night. If replaying it in my mind wasn't bad enough I have tactacam video of it too, to really get me depressed. It happens. But what helps me is yes....at first when seeing a nice one my heart is pumping...just get enough of a look to know you want to shoot it. Stop looking at the antlers. And the best thing I do to help calm buck fever? Start thinking about your shot....which way do you think he'll walk? Which way will he turn?...does he look calm or spooky? Other deer around to bust me? When should I draw my bow? Start walking through the plans in your head for the different situations he'll throw at you if he's making his way to you. When you get your brain concentrating on what you need to do you find yourself not really thinking about the head gear. And get back out there. I sulked for 2 days and I'm back out right now. It wont be the first or last time it happens. Good luck!
Tydaniel

Unread postby Tydaniel » Fri Nov 06, 2020 8:48 am

Thanks for the input fellas. I am definitely guilty of just staring at the horns. It’s almost as I already have it on the wall before I even shoot. I came right back to the same spot this evening. He didn’t spook too hard when I missed. Just trotted off then starting walking. So hopefully he’s still in the area and a doe brings him back my way.
EllieTheChubb

Unread postby EllieTheChubb » Fri Nov 06, 2020 9:17 am

For me its deep slow breathing and picking the specific spot on the animal i want the arrow to hit. It helps me focus on my process without having a million things running through my head.

Good luck out there. I hope you run I to him again!
Grizzlyadam
500 Club

Unread postby Grizzlyadam » Fri Nov 06, 2020 9:27 am

Buck fever is different than target panic. It is only cured by repeated exposure to big bucks 8-)
Tydaniel

Unread postby Tydaniel » Fri Nov 06, 2020 9:29 am

I have killed quite a few big bucks with the rifle and never had this issue. So I am not sure is buck fever totally. Is there archery buck fever? Lol
seazofcheeze
500 Club

Unread postby seazofcheeze » Fri Nov 06, 2020 9:41 am

Tydaniel wrote:I have killed quite a few big bucks with the rifle and never had this issue. So I am not sure is buck fever totally. Is there archery buck fever? Lol

Yea, its 100% different. I get 0/10 excited shooting with a rifle, and 11/10 shooting with a bow.

My best advice is as follows: You have more time than it seems like in the moment. Remember to breathe. Once you get drawn, aim! Dont just put the pin on the deer, aim EXACTLY where where you want to hit. Follow through! <--- I think this one is HUGE. Do not try and peek around the bow the moment you touch the trigger. Keep that bow arm up and watch the arrow through the pin guard. I think this is where a lot of shots go wrong for guys, lack of follow through on live animals. These days, as soon as I see one I want to shoot, I always think "Patience, Aim, Follow through" and I just keep thinking that, and only that until the arrow impacts. Good luck on the next one!
strehb18

Unread postby strehb18 » Fri Nov 06, 2020 9:45 am

A lot of people benefit from having a checklist of sorts in their minds for the moment of truth. Go through all the little things (grip, breathing, focus on your shot spot, draw, anchor, find your bubble quick, smooth release). Another thing I’ve seen is a mantra to keep going over in your head. A small phrase to keep you focused. Be a good predator, breathe, focus, pick a spot..etc.
kher

Unread postby kher » Fri Nov 06, 2020 10:35 am

What helps me is taking a deep breath once I see the deer or a couple deep breaths when I hear the deer making its way towards me. I find it helps me prepare mentally and gets all the tense muscles in my body ready for that one shot. Basically you want to be loose and not all tensed up.
“The more I practice, the luckier I become.”
Byron Ferguson
MNBrowTines

Unread postby MNBrowTines » Fri Nov 06, 2020 3:59 pm

Back tension releases are great when you’re hunting open plains, big shooting lanes, etc. It’s not always practical when you’re hunting tight cover, and need to get a shot off in a small window.

Im no archery expert, but for me a lot of it comes down to confidence and consistency. A lot of guys don’t practice much in season. I like to find time to shoot almost every day, even if it’s just a handful of arrows. In the military, they try to train you to the point of naturally leaning ion your training when you get mentally stressed, not much different about this. Repetition.

I focus on a process and detach from the situation a little. Break your shot down into steps and focus on that, not the deer. I break it down into my draw, my anchor, my sight picture, my follow through. Practice every single shot that way. Develop a cadence or rhythm with it. Repeat it in your head with every shot.

I also focus on a slow, consistent speed of my trigger pull. I picture something behind my that I’m hitting in the same place with my elbow on every shot.

That’s just my mental process, and that’s what it comes down to. I think of it almost like using an acronym to memorize things for a test. Dudley was mentioned above, I’ve gotten some of this from his stuff, just tailored it what works for me. Again, I’m no expert, but it’s worked for me.
mauser06
500 Club

Unread postby mauser06 » Fri Nov 06, 2020 4:50 pm

The others are right. This is buck fever. Not target panic.

Don't know how much bow hunting experience you have. Often times newer hunters suffer from it the worst.

I'll echo the others. Don't focus on the deer. Focus on making the shot to kill him. Focus on your fundamentals. Anchor points. Sight alignment. Focus on that pin. Send it.

Get buck fever after you watch the arrow blow through his chest.

I had a good bit of gun kills under my belt when I picked up archery hunting. I'd loose my marbles just seeing a deer. I talked myself out of it pretty quick. Lol.

Now, I see a deer and I decide if I'm shooting it or not. If I am, or I'm not sure, i go right into "kill mode". This years buck I wasn't sure. But wasn't gunna get caught sitting there watching. I decided to draw as if I was going to kill him right before he was about to leave cover. As he stepped out, yep...game over. Hit my anchors. Focused on the pin and broke the shot. Watched him crash and set the bow in the holder and sat down for the shakes to set in. Lol.

Seriously...once you know it's something you wanna shot, focus on killing it.

Another reason I like hunting close quarters tight cover. I don't have time to get myself all worked up.
kamcgraw

Unread postby kamcgraw » Fri Nov 06, 2020 10:51 pm

I see “Buck Fever” as just allowing yourself to lose control of your thoughts in the moment of truth. When I’ve made great shots, I stay in control of my mind, when I don’t I lose myself to the chaos. You can stay in control simply by repeating something in your head over and over. Seems silly but it works for me.

I shot a buck a few days ago, and when I knew he was going to close the distance, I just repeated over and over to myself “You will kill this buck, pick a spot”. Telling yourself to pick a spot at full draw is especially important. This is easier said than done, but really works well for me. Learn from it, but don’t dwell on it. Best of luck!

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”