Heading to the Yoop next Wednesday

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

UncleBuck3268
500 Club
Facebook: NONE

Heading to the Yoop next Wednesday

Unread postby UncleBuck3268 » Wed Nov 04, 2020 1:54 pm

If there was any piece of advice you would give to a guy from SE WI going to hunt in the UP what would it be? I will be headed up Wednesday the 11th through the 14th just before gun. Any advice is appreciated. Also, where I am from, there are no wolves or bears. Certainly bringing the pistol!

Usi05

Re: Heading to the Yoop next Wednesday

Unread postby Usi05 » Wed Nov 04, 2020 1:58 pm

What part of UP? I am from Baraga/lanse area and hunt going Houghton county. I ask because each side of UP is very different. Very little ag where I hunt so it’s all about finding the natural food (If you don’t want to bait).

I don’t worry much about wolves. Had a few run ins but they are way more afraid of me when they realize what I am.
1STRANGEWILDERNESS
500 Club

Unread postby 1STRANGEWILDERNESS » Wed Nov 04, 2020 2:32 pm

Don’t sweat the wolves and bears
don’t be broadcasting when you should be tuning in
UncleBuck3268
500 Club

Unread postby UncleBuck3268 » Thu Nov 05, 2020 12:45 am

Usi05 wrote:What part of UP? I am from Baraga/lanse area and hunt going Houghton county. I ask because each side of UP is very different. Very little ag where I hunt so it’s all about finding the natural food (If you don’t want to bait).

I don’t worry much about wolves. Had a few run ins but they are way more afraid of me when they realize what I am.

Will be southern UP close to Iron River area. I certainly don’t plan to bait. What would be the most abundant natural food source up there? Pretty similar to WI I would imagine?
1STRANGEWILDERNESS
500 Club

Unread postby 1STRANGEWILDERNESS » Thu Nov 05, 2020 2:00 am

I’m not real familiar with that area but I can say there are a lot of hunters in the UP this year and that means lots of bait. Some of these guys kill some good bucks on bait but I’d say 99% don’t. Although they do get pics when they aren’t there mostly (night) etc. If you run into an area where you see a lot of baiting and such going on I would start looking at suspected bedding 1/2 mile to 1 mile away. Stuff that you can’t get an atv to. Cus if you can they will just haul bait there too.

There’s always exceptions but by all I’ve found most the time the mature bucks keep there distance from camps and bait piles as far as where they hole up. Being rut may change that.. I suppose starting a few hundred yards off a heavy baited area and hunting your way back wouldn’t be a bad call.

Just spit ballin here
UncleBuck3268
500 Club

Unread postby UncleBuck3268 » Thu Nov 05, 2020 7:50 am

1STRANGEWILDERNESS wrote:I’m not real familiar with that area but I can say there are a lot of hunters in the UP this year and that means lots of bait. Some of these guys kill some good bucks on bait but I’d say 99% don’t. Although they do get pics when they aren’t there mostly (night) etc. If you run into an area where you see a lot of baiting and such going on I would start looking at suspected bedding 1/2 mile to 1 mile away. Stuff that you can’t get an atv to. Cus if you can they will just haul bait there too.

There’s always exceptions but by all I’ve found most the time the mature bucks keep there distance from camps and bait piles as far as where they hole up. Being rut may change that.. I suppose starting a few hundred yards off a heavy baited area and hunting your way back wouldn’t be a bad call.

Just spit ballin here

Thanks 1STRANGE. I really appreciate your valuable input. I am just kind of taking the challenge and diving in, having never hunted Michigan so any input is helpful. What you are saying is very logical. Thanks for pointing the number of hunters out and the topic of baiting heavily. Certainly something to keep an eye out for.
UncleBuck3268
500 Club

Unread postby UncleBuck3268 » Thu Nov 05, 2020 7:50 am

1STRANGEWILDERNESS wrote:I’m not real familiar with that area but I can say there are a lot of hunters in the UP this year and that means lots of bait. Some of these guys kill some good bucks on bait but I’d say 99% don’t. Although they do get pics when they aren’t there mostly (night) etc. If you run into an area where you see a lot of baiting and such going on I would start looking at suspected bedding 1/2 mile to 1 mile away. Stuff that you can’t get an atv to. Cus if you can they will just haul bait there too.

Just spit ballin here

Thanks 1STRANGE. I really appreciate your valuable input. I am just kind of taking the challenge and diving in, having never hunted Michigan so any input is helpful. What you are saying is very logical. Thanks for pointing the number of hunters out and the topic of baiting heavily. Certainly something to keep an eye out for.
Usi05

Unread postby Usi05 » Thu Nov 05, 2020 1:25 pm

UncleBuck3268 wrote:
Usi05 wrote:What part of UP? I am from Baraga/lanse area and hunt going Houghton county. I ask because each side of UP is very different. Very little ag where I hunt so it’s all about finding the natural food (If you don’t want to bait).

Will be southern UP close to Iron River area. I certainly don’t plan to bait. What would be the most abundant natural food source up there? Pretty similar to WI I would imagine?

My buddy lives and hunts there. Says to expect similar to Wisconsin on border side.
UncleBuck3268
500 Club

Unread postby UncleBuck3268 » Fri Nov 06, 2020 5:49 am

Usi05 wrote:
UncleBuck3268 wrote:

My buddy lives and hunts there. Says to expect similar to Wisconsin on border side.

Awesome. Appreciate you following up on that. Should be interesting!
1STRANGEWILDERNESS
500 Club

Unread postby 1STRANGEWILDERNESS » Fri Nov 06, 2020 6:12 am

UncleBuck3268 wrote:

Just spit ballin here

You know, the hunter numbers are up but still low compared to areas in WI or here in MI below the bridge. it’s still likely to have a LOT of ground to yourself up here.

And to follow up on my comment, I took my own advice and started hunting an area back where guys were baiting. I was something like 200 yds from presumed baiting area, in a known doe bedding area. Right at last light had a good one come though on a doe. It would’ve been well after dark by the time they hit the bait. Being rut and knowing that guy over hunts the crap out of that spot I presumed the does would be hitting it just after dark and obv the bucks aught to be with em.
It worked.

Good luck, I hope you have some good huntin
UncleBuck3268
500 Club

Unread postby UncleBuck3268 » Sat Nov 07, 2020 10:13 am

Certainly sounds like a good plan to me. I am also hoping to hit a few swamp areas and check things out. Kind of hard to take a wheeler in there. Thanks for the help! Will let you know if I come back with something to be proud of!

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”