What do you think is more heartbreaking?

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

HEINEN86

What do you think is more heartbreaking?

Unread postby HEINEN86 » Wed Nov 04, 2020 10:19 am

Getting your shot at a great buck and shoulder shooting it....or getting to see a great buck but not getting a chance at it? I'm guessing it's easy to see why I'm asking....lol. Happened last night and spent all day looking and rewatching video on it. Very sure he's alive. Now I'm wishing I got to see him and not have that chance at him....wondering what others think about that question?

seazofcheeze
500 Club

Re: What do you think is more heartbreaking?

Unread postby seazofcheeze » Wed Nov 04, 2020 11:29 am

I'd rather have, in order: clean miss, no shot, wounded and not recovered.

On that note, don't beat yourself up. It happens to EVERYONE if they hunt long enough. I'm not sure who said it first, but a favorite quote of mine is "If a guy tells you he's never lost a deer bowhunting, he's either a liar or a new hunter." Evaluate what you did wrong (if anything) on the shot. Take away what you did right (i.e. got an opportunity, right place, right time, got a shot off, etc).
Jonny
500 Club

Unread postby Jonny » Wed Nov 04, 2020 11:44 am

I’m with seaz. I’ll get over a clean miss quick, not getting a shot is part of the game, but nothing hurts like hitting and not recovering. Many here know that feeling and wouldn’t wish it on anyone.

It’s part of the game and will happen to all of us. Can’t make excuses, just learn and grow. If you know what you did wrong, just make sure to not do it again if it’s that simple. That’s the sign of learning. I lost a nice buck because I got down too quick and bumped it from it’s death bed. Now it’s hard to get down even when I see the deer dead because I remember that time I lost one. If I lose one again, it won’t be because I got out of my stand too quick. Bad shots happen but take the opportunity to learn why. But also look at the success you did have. Getting a shot opportunity is successful in itself. Don’t think the hunt was a total failure either.

Just a challenge in life. Get knocked down, get right back up and get stronger. You got this. Nobody will get looked down on because they lost one once. It happens to us all eventually
You have a monkey Mr. Munson?
Grizzlyadam
500 Club

Unread postby Grizzlyadam » Wed Nov 04, 2020 11:45 am

Been in both situations multiple times. Hitting them bad is the worst by far. At least if I don't get a chance to take a shot I can still get back in there and hope for another chance.
Boogieman1
500 Club

Unread postby Boogieman1 » Wed Nov 04, 2020 2:23 pm

Theoretically I agree with Seaz. But I gotta come clean (and I’ve done all mentioned) sadly more than once apiece. But a complete whiff on a big buck inside of 10 yards is a hard pill to swallow. It takes a long dang time to make that hurt stop. I hate extreme close shots from a elevated position. They seem so “chippy” and often I rush thinking its a giveme. But it’s actually a pretty tough shot between not getting spotted and the steep angle. Plus even when I do connect I usually only catch one lung.
Life is hard; It’s even harder if you are stupid.
-John Wayne-
MNBrowTines

Unread postby MNBrowTines » Wed Nov 04, 2020 2:47 pm

No question for me, not getting a shot would be preferred. I just love seeing a good deer when in the stand, I don’t get too bent out of shape about not getting a shot.

I’d prefer a clean miss over wounding the animal, just out of empathy for the animal. But, missing a deer sticks in my craw for a while in terms of my shooting confidence.
Lockdown

Unread postby Lockdown » Wed Nov 04, 2020 2:51 pm

Yeah the whole hit him and not find him thing is really NOT a lot of fun. I would WAY rather not get a shot at all. Luckily my buck is alive too.

Not even joking, when I was forced to accept that things had gone south, I felt a little queezy. Losing a deer sucks even when it doesn’t have a drop tine :lol:
HEINEN86

Unread postby HEINEN86 » Wed Nov 04, 2020 9:23 pm

Yeah it is a tough pill to swallow. And all part of the experience sadly. Great responses!
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Thu Nov 05, 2020 12:55 am

Losing a deer sucks no matter how you sugar coat it. There is no worst feeling in hunting and it’s important when it happens we learn from it to prevent making the same mistakes.

Give me the heartbreak of having a huge buck with no shot opportunity or a complete miss any day. Those encounters are the memories that stick with me forever and I’m rarely upset for long when the buck wins in those situations. I’m OK with that.
hcooper84

Unread postby hcooper84 » Thu Nov 05, 2020 1:55 am

HEINEN86 wrote:Getting your shot at a great buck and shoulder shooting it....or getting to see a great buck but not getting a chance at it? I'm guessing it's easy to see why I'm asking....lol. Happened last night and spent all day looking and rewatching video on it. Very sure he's alive. Now I'm wishing I got to see him and not have that chance at him....wondering what others think about that question?

Have you switched to a high FOC/heavier arrow setup? Do you think this is something you'll consider now? I had luck with Rages the past couple years but after watching a buddy shoulder a big one and the deer survive, I decided I never wanted to be put in that situation. I havent gotten to test it on a shoulder shot but with my heavy arrow/ 17% FOC arrow I had a doe come in strongly quartering to. Shot her at 15 yds, shot through multiple vertebrae of the spine and into the top of the lungs. I was very impressed with the way it went through all the bone.
Thesouthpaw
500 Club

Unread postby Thesouthpaw » Thu Nov 05, 2020 3:49 am

I've hit a few and not found them. I would 100% rather miss, or not get a shot. Nothing is worse than spending hours on end doing a body search while feeling like you want to throw up.
Anything worth doing, is worth over doing.
HEINEN86

Unread postby HEINEN86 » Thu Nov 05, 2020 4:36 am

hcooper84 wrote:
HEINEN86 wrote:Getting your shot at a great buck and shoulder shooting it....or getting to see a great buck but not getting a chance at it? I'm guessing it's easy to see why I'm asking....lol. Happened last night and spent all day looking and rewatching video on it. Very sure he's alive. Now I'm wishing I got to see him and not have that chance at him....wondering what others think about that question?

Have you switched to a high FOC/heavier arrow setup? Do you think this is something you'll consider now? I had luck with Rages the past couple years but after watching a buddy shoulder a big one and the deer survive, I decided I never wanted to be put in that situation. I havent gotten to test it on a shoulder shot but with my heavy arrow/ 17% FOC arrow I had a doe come in strongly quartering to. Shot her at 15 yds, shot through multiple vertebrae of the spine and into the top of the lungs. I was very impressed with the way it went through all the bone.

I definitely am going look into a new setup. What arrow/broadhead you using?
kher

Unread postby kher » Thu Nov 05, 2020 4:50 am

Did your arrow make a pass through? I changed to a heavy arrow and fixed (Black Hornet) broadheads this year and left the big cutting diameter mechanicals. My experiences has been good so far.

If I had to choose one of the questions above, I think the shooting it in the shoulder is more heartbreaking because there is a ton of questions that are going to flood your brain. Take a deep breath and get your head back in the game, you got this!
“The more I practice, the luckier I become.”
Byron Ferguson
hcooper84

Unread postby hcooper84 » Thu Nov 05, 2020 7:11 am

HEINEN86 wrote:
hcooper84 wrote:

I definitely am going look into a new setup. What arrow/broadhead you using?

I am tall shooting 70+lbs and have a longer draw length. My arrows are 30" this year without nock or broadhead.

I went from roughly 430 gn and 7% FOC with a 100 gn rage hypodermic last year to 700 gn and 17% FOC with a 200 gn Grizzlystick Maasai (red version) and a 100 gn insert. I also set my dad up with this setup and he recently just killed a brute of an 8pt. Complete pass through and arrow stuck 10 inches in the dirt. The buck field dressed 210lbs.

I am shooting 200 spine sirius archery vulcan arrows. Whether you use their arrows or not, they do have a really good spine chart. Goes much stiffer spine than most charts.

700 grains is alot. Most people do not need to go this high. Ranch Fairy constantly posts success stories on his instagram page and it looks like a lot of people are getting it done with arrows 540+ grains. The FOC is the biggest factor though. I setup my little brother and friend who both have shorter draw lengths 27-28" and they will be shooting around 550 grains and still get the 17% FOC. Gold tip FOC calculator is very simple and easy to use.

One thing most people say against this is you shoot alot slower, which is true in itself but does it really matter? My bow is now shooting around 245-250 with this arrow setup. To shoot 90ft (30yds) at 250 fps is .36 seconds. Same thing at 300fps is .3 seconds. To counter the speed though is that now my bow is much quieter because more energy is sent through the arrow and not through the rest of my bow.

The only issue is possibly someone who uses a pendulum sight. I couldnt shoot past 30 yds with mine so I switched to the EZ sight. I have also shot a deer at 40 yds this year no problem as well.
HEINEN86

Unread postby HEINEN86 » Thu Nov 05, 2020 8:09 am

kher wrote:Did your arrow make a pass through? I changed to a heavy arrow and fixed (Black Hornet) broadheads this year and left the big cutting diameter mechanicals. My experiences has been good so far.

If I had to choose one of the questions above, I think the shooting it in the shoulder is more heartbreaking because there is a ton of questions that are going to flood your brain. Take a deep breath and get your head back in the game, you got this!

No man I wish it did. But no pass through. I'm trying to man. Its tough. Not only do I replay it over and over in my head. I also have the video of it. lol. But yeah the questions are racking my brain....I'm forcing myself to get back out there tomorrow night. Thanks for the encouragement. Means a lot.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”