Thanks Dan

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

HunterBob
500 Club

Thanks Dan

Unread postby HunterBob » Wed Nov 04, 2020 4:23 am

Just wanted to say thanks to Dan and the others I have learned from on this site who have given me exactly what I have needed to learn how to hunt. This past weekend my buddy and I were planning to go hunting together to a very remote spot on public, yet a storm came through town, knocked a tree over on his house, which knocked his power out. He had to cancel but I decided to go out there by myself and at least do some scouting.

I probably walked at least 8 miles (saddle gear on my back the whole time) without finding any fresh buck sign whatsoever. I was about to turn back and do the long walk back to the truck, but hadn't gone all the way to the back of the public land. I decided to keep going and what would you know, 6-8 rubs in a 40 yd area, two of which were fresh. Now I had a decision to make since I was over two miles away from my truck as the crow flies (which obviously is not the walking distance). This includes going up and down ridges, crossing two streams, all of which would be in the dark if I decided to give this place an afternoon sit. I also did not have any cell reception in this entire area.

Once I realized that only my fears would hold me back, I decided to do the sit. Of course I did not see the buck and the journey back to the truck was just as difficult and scary as I imagined it would be. If it weren't for OnX offline maps, I probably wouldn't have made it back to the truck that evening.

Even though the story didn't end how I wanted it to, I felt invigorated and as I am back in my office job this week I keep thinking back on the adventure and smiling. Looking forward to the next time out in the woods!

Thanks Dan for being willing to share all of your knowledge with us strangers for free and for encouraging me to face my fears and go for it. I appreciate this and have loved so many of the difficult parts of hunting public land that you will probably never hear about. I don't think I would have been able to do this if it weren't for all of the education you and this site have provided me with.

dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Re: Thanks Dan

Unread postby dan » Wed Nov 04, 2020 4:34 am

8-)
fenderbender62

Re: Thanks Dan

Unread postby fenderbender62 » Wed Nov 04, 2020 2:47 pm

I love hunts like that. Even if you dont see a single deer you can still hang your hat on the fact that you went hard and didnt leave anything in the tank. It's a huge confidence boost. The next time you go out everything will seem easier and not as overwhelming. The 1 or 2 mile hike in/out, crossing water in the dark, the tough terrain, it all becomes the path rather than obstacles. Nice job!
what one man can do another can do

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”