Farmland rut question

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Moose
500 Club

Farmland rut question

Unread postby Moose » Wed Nov 04, 2020 2:39 am

In farmland is it a good idea to hunt field edges since the does are out feeding in the fields and hoping for a buck to check them in the field or hunt bedding areas or perhaps funnels close to the field the does are feeding in?

Lockdown

Re: Farmland rut question

Unread postby Lockdown » Wed Nov 04, 2020 2:57 am

I would be in the thick cover downwind of the does if that’s an option. I wouldn’t plan on seeing a big buck out in the open. If the area is low pressure you might...
Grizzlyadam
500 Club

Unread postby Grizzlyadam » Wed Nov 04, 2020 3:21 am

Maybe look at the doe trails going in and out of the field and see if you can find a parallel trail the bucks use to check on those does. Can catch one that way if he's actively cruising there to monitor the feeding areas. I personally don't see that happening during shooting light much anywhere that has hunting pressure. At least in my experiences and the types of places I hunt, I think a better bet is to focus more on the bedding. That's where they are during most of shooting light. And thats where the cruising bucks will be looking for them.
Boogieman1
500 Club

Unread postby Boogieman1 » Wed Nov 04, 2020 2:29 pm

I hunt kinda field edge stuff in farm country. But I’m probably 15-20 yards inside the edge and my back is to the field.
Life is hard; It’s even harder if you are stupid.
-John Wayne-

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”