Grid Hunting Help

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Dallas.kc

Grid Hunting Help

Unread postby Dallas.kc » Tue Nov 03, 2020 8:37 am

I’ve seen in some of the Q&As Dan and Mario talk about grid hunting an area until they find sign/bedding or see a mature buck. After reading the Hunting Too Mobile thread in the all time best tactics section, it’s got me thinking that I may be bouncing around to spots that are too far apart and not putting enough effort “gridding the area” and really learning anything. I’ve basically been finding sign, getting close to where I think bedding is (without having any verification there is any at times) and then moving miles away to a whole new area. How much farther in can I push in/how big are these “grids” that I can still be in the game while being far enough away from a location I just sat?

Thank you for your replies

Tennhunter3
500 Club

Re: Grid Hunting Help

Unread postby Tennhunter3 » Tue Nov 03, 2020 8:51 am

The area-grids I plan out are usually 300-500 acres.
About the size of what I expect the bucks home range to be.

As long as your still finding the same size rubs,scrapes, poop. You know your most likely still in his range.

I've been grid hunting this year and having alot of deerrless sits. This area is my first year so its a learning process.

I've been hunting about 150-300 yards from my last sit. It has let me locate so far 2 areas that does bed and 1 of the buck bedding areas. You definitely learn more by grid hunting.

One tactic you can do during rut is start in the am and sit a spot 3 hours move repeat. Your likely to find a hot area or estrus doe by doing this. It might cost you a deer but may be successful you will gain so much knowledge of the overall area and how bucks travel it during rut.
Never give up Freedom for imagined safety.
Dallas.kc

Re: Grid Hunting Help

Unread postby Dallas.kc » Tue Nov 03, 2020 11:25 am

Thank you for the response! this is the kind of information I was looking for. I'd like to hear if others do something similar, or if they move more or less than you do when they are hunting an area. I like the idea of moving every couple hours during the rut...if we can get this dang crop harvest done in time for me to sit!

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”