Crusing deer and spot burnout

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Matthewkatz
Facebook: matthew R katzmarek

Crusing deer and spot burnout

Unread postby Matthewkatz » Tue Nov 03, 2020 8:03 am

Hey guys,
In my neck of the woods the rut is starting to kick in. The bucks seem to be lurking downwind of does in their bedding area. I've done some scouting and found some killer funnels between doe bedding areas that the bucks are cruising and scraping, and rubbing. I'm wondering if this time of the year with the bucks getting more concerned with breeding can I get away with multiple sits in a good spot or is it like hunting bedding areas where you got one shot at the buck and he knows you were there and moves out.

jmaas07
500 Club

Re: Crusing deer and spot burnout

Unread postby jmaas07 » Tue Nov 03, 2020 8:16 am

If you find a spot thats holding bucks you'd be happy shooting and its heating up lay on it until you shoot or or theyre gone
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Tue Nov 03, 2020 8:19 am

Nice thing about the rut is you will see bucks from well outside their core area so they may never be back again anyway after cruising through. I would be much more worried about spooking the does. Once they catch onto you and move out it’s pretty much game over for multiple sits.
Grizzlyadam
500 Club

Unread postby Grizzlyadam » Tue Nov 03, 2020 10:57 am

Yea, the bucks are there because the does are, so as long as you don't push the does out it's worth sitting I would think.
headgear
500 Club

Unread postby headgear » Tue Nov 03, 2020 1:48 pm

jmaas07 wrote:If you find a spot thats holding bucks you'd be happy shooting and its heating up lay on it until you shoot or or theyre gone

Yep lay it on em!
Boogieman1
500 Club

Unread postby Boogieman1 » Tue Nov 03, 2020 3:10 pm

In my experience yes as long as u don’t tip off the doe’s. If they change there habits or completely evacuate then your odds go way down of seeing anything.

For myself the perfect spot for repetitive sitting is neutral ground. Normally not to many deer linger in the area but it’s the closest shot between thickets that doesn’t involve food. Allows me to slip in an out undetected. Many scenarios but this one is my favorite.
Life is hard; It’s even harder if you are stupid.
-John Wayne-

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”