Tree stand set up for Hill Country.

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Mossberg90MN

Tree stand set up for Hill Country.

Unread postby Mossberg90MN » Mon Nov 02, 2020 10:00 am

I have a couple questions that have me a little confused for getting set up on hill country.

I know bucks like to cruise in that thermal zone 1/3 of the way down. Where would you set up your tree stand? Do you set it up on the ridge top shooting down into the thermal zone? Or do you get set up in the actual thermal zone? 1/3 of the way down?

My next question is using draws/drainages for funnel movement.

If it’s a really steep rocky drainage, do you get set up on the ridge top where the elevation levels out? Assuming the deer walk to the ridge top to go around the drainage and then drop right back into the thermal zone.

Or do you get set up on a crossing somewhere that you see the deer use to cross the drainage?

I have the Hill country dvds. But I seemed to always be confused as to where to actual put your stand.

Thanks guys!

brancher147
500 Club

Re: Tree stand set up for Hill Country.

Unread postby brancher147 » Mon Nov 02, 2020 10:35 am

To hunt cruising bucks on upper 1/3 you need to be setup based on wind/thermals. Falling thermal or wind going downhill setup below. Rising thermal or windward setup above. Rising thermal on leeward I also like to be setup above. Use milkweed and setup accordingly.
Some do. Some don't. I just might...
<DK>
500 Club

Unread postby <DK> » Tue Nov 03, 2020 12:47 am

Great questions and I agree w Brancher

1 - Both. My sets vary based on thr best tree and deer sign. Mainly the best tree w the most shot opportunities. Sometimes I am setup above the thermal zone, sometimes below it. Sometimes I have to be ready to shoot them when they get down wind. Pushing the envelope to max. The perfect set is as shown in the DVD. Just let thr milkweed tell you what to do.

2 - Thats a tough question bc you I have to trust your gut and the sign. As a canned way of going about things - setting up at that top (like your scenario) is a good strategy. Terrain, wind and sign should be the factors that decide that. Some spots the mature buck sign may be lower, other spots may be higher. If they cant cross easily then that makes the decision easy to setup for the funneled movement. If I was walking in the morning w my light, planned to setup at the top but saw big fresh rubs or tracks lower. Then I am adjusting my set plans right there. I also like to setup where I see generational rubs.
Mossberg90MN

Unread postby Mossberg90MN » Tue Nov 03, 2020 11:13 am

<DK> wrote:Great questions and I agree w Brancher

1 - Both. My sets vary based on thr best tree and deer sign. Mainly the best tree w the most shot opportunities. Sometimes I am setup above the thermal zone, sometimes below it. Sometimes I have to be ready to shoot them when they get down wind. Pushing the envelope to max. The perfect set is as shown in the DVD. Just let thr milkweed tell you what to do.

2 - Thats a tough question bc you I have to trust your gut and the sign. As a canned way of going about things - setting up at that top (like your scenario) is a good strategy. Terrain, wind and sign should be the factors that decide that. Some spots the mature buck sign may be lower, other spots may be higher. If they cant cross easily then that makes the decision easy to setup for the funneled movement. If I was walking in the morning w my light, planned to setup at the top but saw big fresh rubs or tracks lower. Then I am adjusting my set plans right there. I also like to setup where I see generational rubs.

Awesome, thanks for that photo, and answering my question. That’s exactly where I was stuck on! Appreciate the help!

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”