Where in the world are the deer this year?

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Ognennyy
500 Club

Where in the world are the deer this year?

Unread postby Ognennyy » Sat Oct 31, 2020 8:15 am

I used to not think much about it when I didn't a lot of deer sign. After all this is only my 6th or 7th season, so I was inexperienced and I knew it. But... something just doesn't feel right this year and I can't figure it out. I have put miles and miles and miles on the boots this season, and cannot find deer!

I'm in the southern Adirondacks of New York. There were no deer on the red oak ridges that I usually target at the early bow opener. I found not one single beech tree with nuts on it.

I did find very recent deer sign on a patch of immature berry briars right on the transition from trees to the scrubby stuff in a beaver meadow. On my way in to hunt that beaver meadow the following week I found very fresh (like same day) droppings and tracks in a random beech stand 1/4 - 1/2 mile off the meadow. I decided to keep going up to the meadow since I had no idea why that deer had been there and where it might have been going. Of course in the dark on my way out after seeing no deer where I posted up near the meadow, I bumped what I figured was probably the deer that made the sign I'd found on my way in.

For the rest of you NE big woods hunters what are you seeing? Where are you finding deer? What have they been eating this year?! Is it that despite there being no beech nut crop the deer still just haven't had to move very far because it's been so warm?

Grizzlyadam
500 Club

Re: Where in the world are the deer this year?

Unread postby Grizzlyadam » Sat Oct 31, 2020 1:19 pm

I'm seeing a very abundant acorn crop this season, especially the red oaks. Seems like the deer are held up tight close to bedding and they don't have to move much. It's been a real struggle this season so far.
Ognennyy
500 Club

Re: Where in the world are the deer this year?

Unread postby Ognennyy » Sat Oct 31, 2020 9:21 pm

Grizzlyadam wrote:I'm seeing a very abundant acorn crop this season, especially the red oaks. Seems like the deer are held up tight close to bedding and they don't have to move much. It's been a real struggle this season so far.

We had a decent red oak crop here as well, although I didn't find any trees just showering down the acorns. Usually I see fresh sign everywhere on those red oak ridges. This year I see the acorns but no sign that the deer have been there recently.

Sounds like we're both seeing deer not moving much. Just a warm fall to blame I guess.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”