A Warm Rut

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

bowfreak8
500 Club

A Warm Rut

Unread postby bowfreak8 » Sat Oct 31, 2020 6:51 am

So I leave for my Ohio Rut vacation next Thursday the the 5th of November. Right now they are calling for Friday - Tuesday of that week to be in the mid to upper 60's. I'm a firm believer the Rut happens the same time every year but I do believe weather influences daytime movement. What are your thoughts for combatting a warm Rut and still getting on good action.

Ognennyy
500 Club

Re: A Warm Rut

Unread postby Ognennyy » Sat Oct 31, 2020 7:42 am

If you know where the bedding areas are I would get right tight up to them. You know the warm weather means the does probably aren't going far from their bedding areas during daylight. More likely, they won't be leaving the bedding areas at all until night fall. Or if there are good funneling features between bedding areas, I'd think that's also worth spending time in.

In general I think the strategy should be adjusted to account for the fact that the does will be locked to their bedding areas in daylight hours, and the bucks will know it.

Good luck man. Smash a bruiser.
brancher147
500 Club

Unread postby brancher147 » Sat Oct 31, 2020 7:47 am

I think that weather is pretty average for Ohio. That’s what I usually experienced in SE Ohio that time of year anyway. Mornings should still be good and 60’s really aren’t too warm to shut things down from my experience. Agree with sticking tight to doe bedding.
Some do. Some don't. I just might...
bowfreak8
500 Club

Unread postby bowfreak8 » Sat Oct 31, 2020 7:54 am

Upper 60's is definitely high for the second week of November in Ohio. I've hunted either the first or second week of November for 20 straight years and that warmer weather is never a welcomed sight. Not tht you can't kill them, but the overall movement is lower. I agree with tucking up closer to bedding and preparing for less and later movement overall.

I'm really curious if anyone has any stories of success during these warmer days. Trying to gleam whatever useful information I can.
Ognennyy
500 Club

Unread postby Ognennyy » Sat Oct 31, 2020 8:26 am

I wish I could give you a personal success story to bolster your confidence a little. Unfortunately I usually burn myself out in the early bow season, and I'm usually not hunting during the last week of October. But if you're sold on sticking close to a bedding area and a confidence boost is in order, just ask yourself; have you seen sign making going on? Rubs? Scrapes? If so you can be sure the bucks have girls on their minds, and if they have girls on their minds they'll be up and about looking for them. It'll just all be taking place near bedding if it's warm.
James
500 Club

Unread postby James » Sat Oct 31, 2020 8:53 am

Those temps will be fine. Hunt the mornings for sure. Afternoons might be a little slow but it’s the rut, anything can happen. It was in the 60’s when I shot my Kansas buck last year In the afternoon, he had a doe with him. Good luck
DhD
500 Club

Unread postby DhD » Sat Oct 31, 2020 10:25 pm

Going to hit the low 70s here this week, never dealt with a rut this warm while bow hunting before. It is weird to be walking in wearing sneakers on Halloween.
I refuse to have a battle of wits with an unarmed person.
mauser06
500 Club

Unread postby mauser06 » Sun Nov 01, 2020 5:18 am

I'm definitely hoping it changes before now and next weekend.

I've hunted a extremely warm rut once that I remember. It didn't completely shut it down. But it was a lot slower. Deer are already dressed for winter.

Close or IN bedding and first couple hours and maybe last couple hours will likely be best....but...you just never know this time of year.

Lows are still low to mid 40s.

Biggest reason I try to spread or extend my time off as much as possible. Better odds of grabbing better weather.
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Sun Nov 01, 2020 6:36 am

I prefer cold temps as do the deer but warm temps won’t completely stop the rut. It will happen regardless. In 2016 I killed my Iowa buck on Nov. 3 with temps in the low 70’s and sunny. Had good action all day. Would’ve been easy that day to call it quits and just wait for cooler temps that were coming. Bright side is sitting all day is very comfortable. Looking like I’ll have a repeat of that this coming week. Won’t be needing my IWOM that’s for sure.
Boogieman1
500 Club

Unread postby Boogieman1 » Sun Nov 01, 2020 6:52 am

I’ve never hunted the Midwest but in my parts 60s or 70s isn’t all to shabby. I don’t get the movement like a cold snap but still see action all day. Now in the 80’s and 90’s that’s horrible and I won’t sit all day.
Life is hard; It’s even harder if you are stupid.
-John Wayne-
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Sun Nov 01, 2020 7:02 am

Boogieman1 wrote:I’ve never hunted the Midwest but in my parts 60s or 70s isn’t all to shabby. I don’t get the movement like a cold snap but still see action all day. Now in the 80’s and 90’s that’s horrible and I won’t sit all day.

70’s in early November down there is like 90’s+ up here in the north. We start melting with anything above zero. :lol:
mauser06
500 Club

Unread postby mauser06 » Sun Nov 01, 2020 7:41 am

Good point Dewey. Much easier to sit in 60-70 than 20-30. Lol.

Another plus is thermals will be ripping and I'm hunting hills.

Dewey is absolutely right. It ain't gunna stop the deer.

Always gotta look at the bright side of things.

I'm off and heading to Ohio regardless of the weather.
UncleBuck3268
500 Club
Facebook: NONE

Unread postby UncleBuck3268 » Sun Nov 01, 2020 3:42 pm

Dewey wrote:
Boogieman1 wrote:I’ve never hunted the Midwest but in my parts 60s or 70s isn’t all to shabby. I don’t get the movement like a cold snap but still see action all day. Now in the 80’s and 90’s that’s horrible and I won’t sit all day.

70’s in early November down there is like 90’s+ up here in the north. We start melting with anything above zero. :lol:

Haha this is funny and agreeable. It hit 54 today by me and I certainly felt that I was melting!
Ishi Spirit

Unread postby Ishi Spirit » Mon Nov 02, 2020 1:32 am

I’ve had many warm ruts over the past 30 plus years. Yes cooler temps are preferred but just never give up! Have fun
The Spirit Lives On
Ghost Hunter

Unread postby Ghost Hunter » Mon Nov 02, 2020 1:48 am

If its 30 degrees or 75 if you are in area of a hot doe, that area is going be hot with movement. There is always more movement at night.
I'm reason they call it hunting and not shooting.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”