How close to bedding is too close? Map/pic included

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Thomasj1107

How close to bedding is too close? Map/pic included

Unread postby Thomasj1107 » Sat Oct 31, 2020 3:25 am

So the yellow is a defined path, I have found scrapes/fresh rubs (red) just along the edge of this blue bedding area. How close is too close to setup to this?

Can I setup within bow range of this red circular scrape?

And for anyone following my other thread, this is not ACTUALLY where I found the sign, but a similar setup. I wanted to try and keep one of the few spots I found with active sign kinda secret while still getting help. Thanks to anyone who has advice.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

rfickes87
500 Club

Re: How close to bedding is too close? Map/pic included

Unread postby rfickes87 » Sat Oct 31, 2020 4:01 am

Which way is your entrance? Which way is the wind blowing?

I just jumped one last week in a similar setup. The leaves were even wet but I did step on a few sticks and made noise that way, he bailed when I got about 80 yards away.
"Pressure and Time. That's all it takes, really. Pressure, and time..."
Thomasj1107

Unread postby Thomasj1107 » Sat Oct 31, 2020 4:07 am

I have to come in from the north... I would hunt it on a East/southeast wind. Would it be ok to hunt this on an evening where I take a while to creep close and hope to catch them coming out before dark to check on things?
rfickes87
500 Club

Unread postby rfickes87 » Sat Oct 31, 2020 4:37 am

Thomasj1107 wrote:I have to come in from the north... I would hunt it on a East/southeast wind. Would it be ok to hunt this on an evening where I take a while to creep close and hope to catch them coming out before dark to check on things?

Oh absolutely. Sounds like you've already got it figured out.
Thomasj1107

Unread postby Thomasj1107 » Sat Oct 31, 2020 5:25 am

Is that typically how the bucks would check these bedding edge scrapes? Evening?

Or are they more likely to be something they check early morning before returning to bed?
Thomasj1107

Unread postby Thomasj1107 » Mon Nov 02, 2020 3:52 am

Anyone?
rfickes87
500 Club

Unread postby rfickes87 » Mon Nov 02, 2020 4:45 am

I just hunted last night on a point similar to this setup. I went in blind until i saw hot sign (2 fresh scrapes under a beech tree). I passed a decent 7 point as he checked the scrapes. They looked like they were made that day/morning. So since they're so close to bedding it appears to me they were checked both morning and evening.

Bottom line when you're that close to bedding anything can happen in daylight hours in regards to scrapes
Ragingun

Unread postby Ragingun » Mon Nov 02, 2020 5:45 am

Get close. It's been said many times, if you're not bumping deer here and there you're not pushing the limits and getting as close as you should. As far as noise goes, everything depends on conditions. Secondarily it depends on you, are you a nimbal guy, are you situationally aware at all times and with every step, are you taking every part of your path to the tree into accout? Remember you can only control so much. You can't control if the wind swirls, you can't control that you may have walked in on the bed at a time when the deer happens to be awake and more alert, etc.

I've sat on a bed at 40 yards when the wind covered my sound and setup. Last weekend I sat on a bed 70 yards away and since the leaves were loud it took me 2.5 hours to walk 200 yards to the tree. The buck walked out right at dark however it was smaller than I plan to harvest. Know your surroundings and take your time, still hunt with your release in your hand as you walk in, it's a great way to hunt and I've seen as many deer that way as I have in my stand. Don't view it as wasted time but rather as hunting time. Most don't think this way and it pushes them to get to their tree too quickly since they view hunting as sitting in a tree.
Dogs have many friends because they wag their tails, not their tongues.
UofLbowhunter
500 Club

Unread postby UofLbowhunter » Mon Nov 02, 2020 8:52 am

How close is too close thats a tough question!

Is it a pre scouted area? Do you know where they bed?
Is it thick , is it open ?
I havent read your other thread yet.
If you know where they bed, you have alot better idea where to set up. If you dont a distant observation sit would be a good choice, then move in from there. Figure bedding location and exit travel, then plan your attack, be one choice. Being you penetrated, a sit on the scrape a littles ways may work too!

Like some others said if you dont bump one from time to time your not close enough. Every spot is diffrent! Good luck!
Bucks,ducks, turkeys,and bass!
UofLbowhunter
500 Club

Unread postby UofLbowhunter » Mon Nov 02, 2020 8:55 am

Thomasj1107 wrote:Is that typically how the bucks would check these bedding edge scrapes? Evening?

Or are they more likely to be something they check early morning before returning to bed?

Both! And you can add midday at certain times.
Bucks,ducks, turkeys,and bass!

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”