Clothes and Layers to stay warm

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

HuntingParadise
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/hunting.paradise.56

Clothes and Layers to stay warm

Unread postby HuntingParadise » Sat Oct 31, 2020 3:05 am

Morning Beasts,

Im curious what some of the tricks you guys do to stay warm. I try to keep my layers light during bow hunting so I have fluid movement to draw back etc. However, this leads to me usually getting chilly when we have weeks like this where it gets to below freezing. I can handle it, but would rather be comfortable. Any suggestions or tricks?

hoosierbowhunter90

Re: Clothes and Layers to stay warm

Unread postby hoosierbowhunter90 » Sat Oct 31, 2020 3:21 am

Get a good puffy and pack it in with you. Basically no weight and good warmth.
PredatoronthePrairie

Unread postby PredatoronthePrairie » Sat Oct 31, 2020 3:40 am

My go to is a good goose down hand muff with a warmer in it. Hate wearing any sort of glove.

That and a full face baklava.

Even early season when it's only down to 40.
Rather be warm, feel it cuts down on alot of small movements u may not realize ur doing to try to stay warm.
knapptime

Unread postby knapptime » Sat Oct 31, 2020 3:44 am

hoosierbowhunter90 wrote:Get a good puffy and pack it in with you. Basically no weight and good warmth.

This. I like to wear heavier pants when it gets cold, since that's what seems to get cold first. If my upper body starts getting cold I find drawing my bow a couple times gets the blood flowing enough to take the chill off. Depending on the hunting situation, I'll occasionally get out of my stand and do a little still hunting to warm up.
A5BLASTER
500 Club

Unread postby A5BLASTER » Sat Oct 31, 2020 3:46 am

Biggest trick to staying warm is to dress very thin, stay dry and pack in clothes to put on in the tree that's thin but is also a wind blocking material.

Wet skin with wind blowing on it is the fastest way to get cold. Also dont forget its just as easy to get dehydrated when it's cold as it is when its hot
HuntingParadise
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/hunting.paradise.56

Unread postby HuntingParadise » Sat Oct 31, 2020 5:18 am

PredatoronthePrairie wrote:My go to is a good goose down hand muff with a warmer in it. Hate wearing any sort of glove.

That and a full face baklava.

Even early season when it's only down to 40.
Rather be warm, feel it cuts down on alot of small movements u may not realize ur doing to try to stay warm.

I do the same for hands for the same reason. Plus it prevents me from using my phone if I dont wear gloves! :lol:
jmaas07
500 Club

Unread postby jmaas07 » Sat Oct 31, 2020 6:45 am

I just went down this rabbit hole. Merino next to skin. Wind.cutting vest and wind cutting outer. Add mid layers accordingly. I use a hand muff bc i dont like gloves. My hands have been sweating in the muff tho and getying cold after a while, injust ordered some kuiu merino gloves to wear in the muff, can pull off my release hand inside muff to shoot
Sloepoke20

Unread postby Sloepoke20 » Sat Oct 31, 2020 7:11 am

Not really a trick of anything but I bought a Pnuma heated vest last year. I wore it a few times during gun season and it seemed to help. I haven’t needed it this year, so I personally haven’t used it much but a number of people seem to like them.
rempse2

Unread postby rempse2 » Mon Nov 02, 2020 12:43 pm

Important to dress light going in and pack your layers with you. You should be feeling a little chilly when starting out, you'll warm up quickly once you get going. As far as clothing goes, everyone has their favorites, but this is what works for me: merino wool base layer top 1/4 zip; micro fleece henley top, polartec fleece vest, top off with a wool jacket. I have a wind blocker vest if the wind is blowing. All of my tops have the ability to oven up and vent to cool off if I need to move. Merino wool/poly long underwear with wool pants, wool gloves/hat top it off.
mheichelbech
500 Club
Facebook: mheichelbech@gmail.com

Unread postby mheichelbech » Mon Nov 02, 2020 2:26 pm

I sweat and generate the most heat in my chest are walking in having quarter and half zip base and mid layers are a big help with cooling off and not sweating too much. I use a First Lite Uncompaghre as a mid layer in the 20s.

I got a Predator Ambush jacket for Christmas last year and hoping that’s warm enough to let me eliminate the Uncompaghre for the 20s and only need in the single digits. Will report on this whenever it gets that cold.
"One of the chief attractions of the life of the wilderness is its rugged and stalwart democracy; there every man stands for what he actually is and can show himself to be." — Theodore Roosevelt, 1893
MNBrowTines

Unread postby MNBrowTines » Mon Nov 02, 2020 3:15 pm

I hate having bulky clothing on and things hanging off of me. It can limit range if motion, but the worst thing I’ve found is catching clothing on things. Branches, tree bark, etc, I just seem to make more noise in the stand and moving through the woods. Especially when you get the bulky coveralls and massive 1600 gram boots. But, I’m in Minnesota. It gets damn cold.

What I do is layer up. I wear a couple of tight under armor base layers on top of each other, tops and bottoms, and I’ll slip hand warmers between those layers. That’s the key for me. I just throw a pair flannel/fleece lined pants, a hoodie, and a jacket on top of that. A warm lined neck gaiter and hat, and I always double up gloves. Skin tight shooting gloves and under a slightly thicker pair, and again, slip hand warmers between the layers. I can shoot a bow/gun just fine with those, release fits just fine (I tend to hunt low in tight cover a lot, I typically don’t lollygag with my hands in my pockets and my weapon hanging in the tree, I may not have more than a couple seconds). When it comes to boots. I just go with an 800 gram rubber boot, half or full size bigger than normal, and again throw a hand warmer in. You’d be surprised how much cold a guy can take if you keep your head/neck, midsection (may sound weird, but the hand warmer right down the front of the pants), and feet warm. You can damn near be out there sleeveless and in shorts if you get those toasty. I’ll take the 10 dollar pack of disposable hand warmers over the $1,000 Sitka Artic level get up (maybe someday I’ll break down)

Another thing I’ve found that many don’t think about, and maybe it’s just me, but don’t over-caffinate in the morning. Instead of a second cup of coffee on the drive to the stand, I’ll drink a hot mug of water, and I stay away from the damn energy drinks when it’s cold (you also won’t be pissing radioactive chemicals every 5 minutes). Don’t know what it is, and if it’s only me, but the shivers come on much easier the more caffeine I have. It’s also big for me to get up a little earlier and eat a big, hot greasy breakfast. Bacon, eggs, potatoes, toast, oatmeal really load up on protein and carbs. A cold bowl of cereal or skipping breakfast all together doesn’t cut it (and I’m not down eating bologna sandwiches at 11 am during the rut like a lot of other guys).
AJB

Unread postby AJB » Mon Nov 02, 2020 4:06 pm

Thermacare wraps. Put on you kidney area and one on your chest. Crazy how warm it keeps you when it’s over your major blood flow areas.
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Mon Nov 02, 2020 4:07 pm

Sloepoke20 wrote:Not really a trick of anything but I bought a Pnuma heated vest last year. I wore it a few times during gun season and it seemed to help. I haven’t needed it this year, so I personally haven’t used it much but a number of people seem to like them.

I use mine all the time and think it’s the best piece of clothing I bought in a long time. I save it for the last two hours before closing even if it’s not real cold. Keeps the chill off my back and helps me focus while being nice and toasty.

Any colder and it’s IWOM or HBS time. I don’t mess with layering and being bulked up anymore. Dress lightly for the walk in and out and throw on the suit when ready to hunt. Simple as it gets and you save money in the long run not buying all that other cold weather clothing that doesn’t even keep you warm in the real frigid stuff.
PK_
500 Club

Unread postby PK_ » Tue Nov 03, 2020 1:35 am

Merino base layers. Midweight or heavyweight merino long sleeve. Thin Fleece vest and or Jacket liner. Wind stopper outer layer either a vest or if it will be windy or well below freezing I wear the hoodie. Jacket liner and outer layer gets put on at the stand. . Insulated pants to slip on when at the stand as well.

It takes time and some miserable sits to be able to look at the forecast and know exactly what to wear to be comfortable.

I get cold very easy and this keeps me warm down close to single digits depending on conditions.
No Shortcuts. No Excuses. No Regrets.
Everybody's selling dreams. I'm too cheap to buy one.
Rich M wrote:Typically, hunting FL has been like getting a root canal

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”