Monster Buck Rub HELP ME !!

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

KPillinois

Monster Buck Rub HELP ME !!

Unread postby KPillinois » Thu Oct 29, 2020 6:43 am

Hey y'all, greetings from Illinois public land. I took Dan's advice and looked for hot oaks dropping acorns and stumbled across a godzilla sized buck rub. Fresh shavings laying all over the ground around the tree. I took pics and filmed it if that will help. To get there i walk a couple hundred yards from road thru open public field of nothing (dead grass maybe) and cut into woods close to our public lake. About 30 yards in but well hidden is this monster rub with a real small one on a skinny tree 2 feet over to the right and about 2 feet back. To the west it gets really thick and the lake is maybe 70 yards. To the east it goes 20-40 yards and drops downhill because it is a really hilly area. Bucks looks to come and go from S/W and N/E but not sure which is coming and which is going but pretty sure he comes & lives in N/E of this area couple hundred yards in where there is now a hot hazelnut dropping fresh super TART nuts and lots of downed trees, thickets, etc..... pretty nasty and thick not many people like it but me, or they are just too lazy to get cut up with thorns and stuff. Hard to get out at night but i've done it before. So anyway, BIG BUCKS FOR DUMMIES: (1) Will this be an evening kill because he beds super early ???? (2) Stay on side where downhill area starts to keep my scent away ? (3) Ground or tree ???? (4) you need some video to see the rub just let me know. (5) Hunt the rub or the hazelnut tree where i see he has traveled past ??? Would like to kill him FRI SAT or SUN before Halloween weekend is over and film it with all credit to Hunting Beast, lol. THANKS

I've changed my ways, I'm now looking for big bucks on public land.
KPillinois

Re: Monster Buck Rub HELP ME !!

Unread postby KPillinois » Thu Oct 29, 2020 7:49 am

ADDED THE VIDEO on my youtube from my tactacam that was on my hat slowed to 25 percent so you can see if it is really a "monster" cause i have no idea... it's monster to me is why i say that. Got some better pics on iphone if needed https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H3si3mbaY0o
Bowtech1

Unread postby Bowtech1 » Thu Oct 29, 2020 9:01 am

From your description it sounds like a perfect pinch point. You should realistically be able to hunt it on 2 possibly 3 wind directions depending on if you can figure out where he is bedding. Keep the lake or that field to your back with the wind in your face.
KPillinois

Unread postby KPillinois » Thu Oct 29, 2020 10:59 am

Bowtech1 wrote:From your description it sounds like a perfect pinch point. You should realistically be able to hunt it on 2 possibly 3 wind directions depending on if you can figure out where he is bedding. Keep the lake or that field to your back with the wind in your face.

YES it is a pinch point ! If the grass is behind my back i have to ground hunt. With the lake behind my back i can do either ground or tree, is either one better for this ? And evening only or go in at first light when i can see and stay all day ????? Does my video look like a big buck or just an average size, because there is one really small rub there in the video also. thanks for the info, i will give it all i've got this weekend and see what i can come up with.
Bowtech1

Unread postby Bowtech1 » Thu Oct 29, 2020 1:07 pm

Time of day and tree or ground is only something you can figure out. I've seen big bucks rub small trees and small bucks rub big trees. That big rub is absolutely not from a small buck. Don't let that small rub mess with your head could be from another deer or the same one
KPillinois

Unread postby KPillinois » Tue Nov 03, 2020 4:14 am

Bowtech1 wrote:Time of day and tree or ground is only something you can figure out. I've seen big bucks rub small trees and small bucks rub big trees. That big rub is absolutely not from a small buck. Don't let that small rub mess with your head could be from another deer or the same one

Hey thanks for the helpful info. Since i was expecting a possible longer shot of around 50 yards, i took my crossbow (instead on my compound) Saturday and a big, beautiful 6 pointer came up from behind my tree and moved over to the downwind side under an acorn tree about 13 yards from me. Caught me by surprise and didn't get to turn my camera on, he caught the wind, looked, did a funny foot stomp and went nose down to look for acorns quartering away, ended up jerking the trigger trying to rush it and also immediately tried to look over the Xbow to get a look and missed the darn thing. He looked around like "what just happened?" and jogged about 10 yards behind my tree and looked around again before bounding back into the thicket. Something only an idiot could do. I took my compound Sunday and found a scrape in middle of thick woods near doe bedding and ground hunted (30 mph winds) the scrape...... poured a little Tinks #1 NON estrous urine in it and hunkered into some tall grass.......winds were coming from North all day at18-30mph until last 40 minutes and then were coming from the South but i was already holed up in tall grass..about 20 minutes before dark i heard some grass move behind me, saw nothing... minute later i though i heard a big cat, turned and it did the same noise but even louder and i heard it tearing out of there and sounded like a horse klomping away. Now i believe it may have been a snort wheeze ???? grabbed my stuff and got out of there a few minutes early...... worst weekend ever because i was congratulating my self on the buck (in my mind) and then went and jerked the trigger and missed the thing, which is extremely hard to do at 13 yards...... feeling stupid and like i wasted a perfect opportunity of what was almost a "free" buck.
Bowtech1

Unread postby Bowtech1 » Wed Nov 04, 2020 1:20 am

Even though you missed it's still a successful hunt. You scouted set up and had an opportunity. I also missed a big one when I hit a tiny sucker limb a week ago. It happens

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”