All Day Sits/Cruising Bucks now vs Mid Day Scouting

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

johndeere506
500 Club

All Day Sits/Cruising Bucks now vs Mid Day Scouting

Unread postby johndeere506 » Thu Oct 29, 2020 5:39 am

Id say for me all day sits start to be maybe productive around Nov 4th or 5th, in MI and OH. Anyone have luck prior to that sitting all day? Im still trying to learn a couple areas, so Im feeling like until i have confidence in a spot my time is better spent scouting 10-2 or so. What do you think?

johndeere506
500 Club

Re: All Day Sits/Cruising Bucks now vs Mid Day Scouting

Unread postby johndeere506 » Thu Oct 29, 2020 5:40 am

johndeere506 wrote:Id say for me all day sits start to be maybe productive around Nov 4th or 5th, in MI and OH. Anyone have luck prior to that sitting all day? Im still trying to learn a couple areas, so Im feeling like until i have confidence in a spot my time is better spent scouting 10-2 or so. What do you think?

I think the full moon is this weekend, so Ill be hunting Sunday for starters. Not sure if its worth an all day sit this early. Ive never seen a ton mid day for good bucks.
Rich M
500 Club

Unread postby Rich M » Thu Oct 29, 2020 6:08 am

Planning for full day sits on Friday and Saturday and 1/2 day on Sunday - just gonna play it by ear tho. Its the right time of year and the first cool front. I'm excited - have previously seen as many as 5 bucks during midday.

Someone mentioned the moon - it seems like we get a full moon during this time frame a lot and mid to late morning movement is key for me. Not cause of the moon just the deer - does move about 0830 and bucks 0900-1100. Then have seen em 1300-1400 often enough, but just cruising.
ODH
500 Club

Unread postby ODH » Thu Oct 29, 2020 6:59 am

I used to keep data from trail cams in NY and like you mentioned the first midday pics in areas away from bedding would consistently start on 11/04. But from my own observations on stand closer to bedding areas beginning around 10/30 I would start to see bucks get up mid morning 9:30 to 10:30 and venture at least as far as staging areas if not a bit further then return, so a little wider range of travel and a little later in the morning than early season. So while I might not sit all day yet I will hunt mornings and will stay until 10:30 or 11. That’s been my experience hope it helps.
bowtechjim

Unread postby bowtechjim » Thu Oct 29, 2020 9:30 am

Have had bucks cruising midday every day since 10/23
johndeere506
500 Club

Unread postby johndeere506 » Fri Oct 30, 2020 4:26 am

ODH wrote:I used to keep data from trail cams in NY and like you mentioned the first midday pics in areas away from bedding would consistently start on 11/04. But from my own observations on stand closer to bedding areas beginning around 10/30 I would start to see bucks get up mid morning 9:30 to 10:30 and venture at least as far as staging areas if not a bit further then return, so a little wider range of travel and a little later in the morning than early season. So while I might not sit all day yet I will hunt mornings and will stay until 10:30 or 11. That’s been my experience hope it helps.

Agreed, good comment. This is the time that I start sitting later into the mornings for sure. 11 is usually when I get up and move and take a break, and thats after daylight savings adjustment, so thats hunting roughly 630 to 11.

Anyone else have dates for mid day mature buck cruising?
Beauford

Unread postby Beauford » Fri Oct 30, 2020 9:57 am

Four years ago I shoot a good public land buck at 11am. It was the last Friday of October. I'm starting to believe the last wk of October from what I'm seeing on stand is maybe better than the first wk In November with the seeking phase. I would say with the last wk of October if I had limited time. I would hunt from 8am till 1 or 2. They are still not moving at first light.
mbone1327

Unread postby mbone1327 » Fri Oct 30, 2020 12:06 pm

I'll be doing an all day sit this weekend. Not sure if its the right move but I'd rather be in the tree.
Kokes
500 Club

Unread postby Kokes » Fri Oct 30, 2020 1:44 pm

In past my trail cams have picked up midday movement from oct 24 or so..I sat all day today and will for next few days as well..seeing bucks just not what I'm after has come by.
headgear
500 Club

Unread postby headgear » Fri Oct 30, 2020 2:20 pm

ODH wrote:I used to keep data from trail cams in NY and like you mentioned the first midday pics in areas away from bedding would consistently start on 11/04. But from my own observations on stand closer to bedding areas beginning around 10/30 I would start to see bucks get up mid morning 9:30 to 10:30 and venture at least as far as staging areas if not a bit further then return, so a little wider range of travel and a little later in the morning than early season. So while I might not sit all day yet I will hunt mornings and will stay until 10:30 or 11. That’s been my experience hope it helps.

I recall almost hitting a giant with my truck on the 4th mid day a few years back.
Bperdue21

Unread postby Bperdue21 » Sat Oct 31, 2020 4:55 am

Ognennyy
500 Club

Unread postby Ognennyy » Sat Oct 31, 2020 8:04 am

There are at least a few does who already smell "good" to the bucks, and the bucks want to find them. bucks know if the does are just sitting at home chilling during daylight or if they're up and about. I'd think that if the girls are stationary you're less likely to see buck movement outside bedding areas in daylight in the pre-rut. But if the does are moving around I'd be more willing to sit all day hoping to catch bucks who are looking for those does.

It's been a warm season so far. Good thing we're getting smashed with a cold front and tomorrow morning it will be 15 degrees up on the mountain where I hunt. I bet that will get does up and moving around, and in turn the bucks will be moving.

I'll be in a tree all day tomorrow. Caveat; I am sitting tight to bedding on the downwind side, but still I bet bucks are out cruising around tomorrow in general.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”